Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Suspension Recall

three5

Hi All,

anyone else received a letter from Toyota telling of a recall because of a "just possible" problem with the rear suspension?

Mine arrived this morning and I rang my dealer who said bring it in for us to check but we are waiting for some clips needed for a permanent fix.

I've had my quibbles with Toyota in the past but this is pretty good customer service ( particularly afer the engine replacement episode ) as far as I am concerned. I also think that it reinforces Don's point about "no matter how much you test at the design phase, the customer will test it more!"

Yes there is a recall

The parts required are NOT available yet, you will get another letter when they are available

The purpose of the first letter is just to inform you there is a recall under way. There is nothing to worry about, the failure rate of the componont is 0.004% it relates to a problem with a rear suspension arm. They problem only affects cars that have had an ADJUSTMENT TO THE REAR geometry, such as a 4 wheel alignment

Kingo :thumbsup:

Interesting

I agree about Toyota customer service

It seems to me that, like Honda, they try and do the right thing.

In marked contrast, it appears, to a prestige German car company mentioned on 'Watchdog' this week.

Got my letter yesterday. Doing well this year new engine, pads, clutch, rear anti roll bar drop links and two new tyres lol

Any idea what they are checking/modifying/replacing?

Got my letter yesterday. Doing well this year new engine, pads, clutch, rear anti roll bar drop links and two new tyres lol

Any idea what they are checking/modifying/replacing?

My letter came too....apparently to do with incorrect torque setting published for the re-tightening of nuts which require to be loosened ONLY WHEN TRACKING BEEN / BEING RE-DONE. Zatno correct, oh King of all that is Parts....?

Top marks Toyota for recall at a time when you must only be seeking positive vibes

Big Kev

Yeah thats correct big one.

The published torque setting were a bit too low so nuts were only nipped up. This assumes that a/ the mechanic at Toyota used the manual and not his instinctive brute force or b/ it was even done at a dealer where the manual was used as a tyre fitter at an indie is trained to use his brute force instead of letting his little fingers pore over the manual.

If your car has never had the suspension touched it will be fine.

BTW have you ever noticed how tyre fitters use their Snap On air gun to run the wheel nuts up to 350ft/lbs then use a torque wrench to click them up to 79 ft/lbs just for the benefit of the watcher!!!

Yeah thats correct big one.

The published torque setting were a bit too low so nuts were only nipped up. This assumes that a/ the mechanic at Toyota used the manual and not his instinctive brute force or b/ it was even done at a dealer where the manual was used as a tyre fitter at an indie is trained to use his brute force instead of letting his little fingers pore over the manual.

If your car has never had the suspension touched it will be fine.

BTW have you ever noticed how tyre fitters use their Snap On air gun to run the wheel nuts up to 350ft/lbs then use a torque wrench to click them up to 79 ft/lbs just for the benefit of the watcher!!!

JUST HAD THAT VERY CONVERSATION WITH NEIGHBOUR RE WHEEL NUTS, MIN....SPOOKY.

We were fitting new set of fludmaps to his nearly new Jetta, and we had to take a 20 yard run-up at the wheel nuts to loosen them....why-oh-bloody-why....?

Big Kev

I had the letter on Friday too. However, I don't recall ever having anything done to the suspension, or tracking etc.? It may have been to do with the engine swap, I guess?

Had my letter yesterday

Letters will be going out, the whole campaign will be phased over several months, some will have already had letters, others will get them over the coming weeks

The parts are not available as yet, but if anybody has any concerns, they should pop into their local dealer for a chat and inspection. You will be notified again by post when parts are available and your car needs to be inspected

Kingo :thumbsup:

Got mine today, second letter will be sent when recall is to be carried out. Says carry on as normal, no risk.

As a point of interest, if the recall is due to the wrong torque settings being specified in the Manual, why is the remedy not simply to have the fittings checked and re-tightened to the correct settings? Why are parts needed?

I understand they are clips of some sort. You can get clips that hold lock nuts. Just a guess.

The letters have been sent out to owners in Canada, but not in the USA yet. However, a visit to the Toyota US Owner's site shows this:

"Toyota has determined that if the nuts on the rear suspension arm are not tightened following the proper procedure and torque specification during a rear wheel alignment service, excessive play may occur at the threaded portion of the arm, followed by rust formation. If this were to occur, the threaded portion of the rear suspension arm may wear and cause the arm to separate."

Here is the part in question:

48710-42020 ARM ASSY, REAR SUSPENSION, NO.1 LH

r_suspension.jpg

Got my letter yesterday. Hopefully I can get the check done with my service (due in 1500 miles time, so a month or so yet)

I have had the wheel alignment done so def worth getting it checked out. Letter didn't mention any mod, more of a "check". Which makes me wonder how will this action avoid risk in the future? That's a question I'll ask when it goes in I suppose.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Got a call yesterday to tell me the parts were in. Took it in this afternoon, all sorted within the hour. Even gave me a voucher to have the car cleaned. Well done Toyota Farnham!

Got a call yesterday to tell me the parts were in. Took it in this afternoon, all sorted within the hour. Even gave me a voucher to have the car cleaned. Well done Toyota Farnham!

Did they do the window switch check at the same time Angelos?

Had mine serviced the other day. They did full service and both recalls and called me by 09.30 to say it had been done!!

Dave

They had a quick look Dave but said the recall was for earlier cars. I lower the drivers window when squeezing into the garage every day and have never noticed a problem so I assume its OK.

• 2 years later...

Hi all.

My wife and I currently have a 2010 V6 RAV4 part time four wheel drive that we both enjoy. Today at the 55k mark I had my trusty alignment shop install new shocks all around and realign the suspension. Back in September we had the third recall from Toyota about the rear suspension, we were told it was a bushing that might need changing so we took it down to cover our ubiks and were never told of any suspension pieces being changed out. Well, today I find that my alignment shop cannot set the rear alignment due to Toyota replacing a rear suspension piece that is non-adjustable and this can lead to premature outer tire wear on the rear wheels. I installed nice new Nitto tires about 3k ago and the previous tires showed no sign of unusual wear. Talk about being ****** off at Toyota! I'm livid. It seems these Einsteins have corrected a problem that does not exist by adding a non adjustable part. After I conferred with my alignment shop I headed straight to Toyota (San Diego, Calif) and discussed my potential problems with a head service advisor and presented him with the alignment specs. He stated that the "fix" was due to possible corrosion on the trailing arm (wow, couldn't it be painted before hand at the factory?) and that a bolt could fall off. As an ex aircraft mechanic and having grown up spinning wrenches with my buddies I found with experience that any loose bolt can come loose if not tightened properly. So, I have my Toyota dealership telling me it's all good but they will look in to it and call me next week and on the other hand I have my trusted alignment/tire shop telling me that Toyota's fix will eat my 60k tires prematurely.

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit. Has anyone else had a similar experience with they're RAV 4?

I'm going to assume that Toyota will just brush me off or wait until my tires show premature wear and blame it on non-Toyota shocks and struts. For the record, this car has ridden like crap in the rear since day one and I think the original shocks were cheap garbage.

Can any of you fella's chime in?

I'm hoping not to have to find the original rear suspension parts and re-fix a problem that didn't exist at my expense.

Thank you much.

Thommy

The Toyota workshop manual was in error with the torque for the rear tie rod locknuts understated. Therefore if the rear geometry had been adjusted there was a possibility that the locking nut had been under-tightened. There were cases of loose tie rods found (some of these were in the US), and there was a risk of the rod coming adrift. Additionally as the locknuts came loose - corrosion of the threads took place. The recall was simply to check the tie rods, re-torque as necessary and apply a metal warning label. If the tie rod was loose and threads had corroded - the tie rod was replaced.

The parts manual shows an adjustable tie rod only and it would be very difficult to use a "one size fits all" fixed tie rod in this application.

I can only think that the nature of the recall is somewhat different for US cars. Have you physically checked that the tie rods have been replaced with non-adjustable parts? Just for clarity, the tie rod in question is at the bottom of the attached diagram (which is for the 2010 US Rav)

post-101022-0-76100400-1417257831_thumb.

As stated above in the UK at least the tie rods where not replaced unless they where faulty and even then the tie rod was not a modified part just a new tie rod. As part of the recall once the tie rod was confirmed as OK a large metal clip on strip was fitted which carries instructions for future repairers on how to correctly retighten the tie rod lock nuts, this fits over the tie rod adjusters to ensure it is seen before anyone works on the tie rods. Is it possible that your car too has these clip on covers fitted? If not then it appears the US recall was different to the EU/UK one.

Hi all.

Yes, Toyota actually removed the adjustable toe rods and replaced them with non-adjustable rods. We were told in September of this year that per the recall the fix would only be replacement of a bushing. We were just being compliant to eliminate any issues down the road. The left rear is towed out 1/8" past spec and the right rear is off by 1/4" per spec. Definitely not per Toyota specs. I spoke with the mechanic who performed the work at the alignment shop and he confirmed that taking out an adjustable part was a stupid "fix". I have some very nice rims and tires on this car and we have not had any problems prior to the Toyota "fix".

If I hadn't had the shocks replaced yesterday I wouldn't have even known of the problem with the rear suspension until there were visible wearing of the tires. I spoke with a senior service adviser where the initial repair was performed and presented him with a copy of the alignment results. After what I thought was a little double talk he said he would kick it up the chain on Monday. My gut feeling is that Toyota will not want to replace the parts to the original build and they won't admit to this error. I want to get this fixed as soon as possible and get on with it but I feel we're in for a fight. My alignment gurus offered to replace the old parts if Toyota will give them to me.

My wife and I have owned several toyotas through out the years and this current issue with her RAV is souring me towards the mark. The Chevrolet Cruise is looking better and better.

I'll keep you all posted, thanks for keeping me positive.