Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius 2008 T Spirit

Sooty

Hi all,

I am going to pick up my "new" Prius next Friday after driving a 2 ltr Avensis VVTI Auto for 6 1/2 years.

Can anyone shed some light on what sort of MPG i should expect from the Prius please?

After adding over 130K to the Avensis and averaging 31 to 32 MPG I am hoping to get a lot more from the Prius.

Any tips on getting good fuel economy would also be appreciated.

Many thanks all.

Sooty

Shame we have no stickies on this forum?

Sooty as a start have a quick read through this:

http://prius3.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/tips-tricks-for-the-normal-driver-to-achieve-satisfying-fuel-efficiency-on-the-prius-gen-3/

Simple rules with Prius, speed up and slow down gradually

On the way up it will help you use more Battery power and less petrol.

On the way down it allows the car to charge the Battery so you can use it latter.

Get the hang of that and then you will hit 60+ MPG on a regular basis.

• Like 1

depending on your driving style, it should range from 50 to 55mpg. i highly doubt you can reach the manufacturer's official figure of over 60mpg.

be gentle with the go pedal and coast as much as you can. i don't do any of that and i'm always in a hurry and i still consistently get 53mpg per tank. there's a lot of getting used to as the prius delivers power differently.

keep an eye on the tyre pressure for good mpg. however the winter coming will see your mpg plummet. anyway enjoy!

Rob,

Many thanks for the link and tips.

I will read that info and come back about the tips after I have had the car a little while.

Thanks again

myself i try to use cruise control as much as i can. the car is always in the correct gear . so far after 12 months i am averaging 60+mph.

Thank you all for your advice.

I will get back and let you know how it goes

Have a look at Fuelly. You can see what drivers in the real world are actually achieving. It varies a lot but the central average gives a very good indication of what most people get. You can get into Fuelly by clicking on the box at the foot of this post.

Thank you Sagitar.

I have been wondering what this "Fuelly"was.

I will come back here in a couple weeks with my results.

Thanks all for the advice

Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light on what sort of MPG i should expect from the Prius please?

See fuelly.com - 2008

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/prius

Any tips on getting good fuel economy would also be appreciated.

Keep tyres pumped up. Even slightly underinflated will hit mpg.

You might want to investigate slightly overinflating.

Have a look at pulse and glide.

Winter mpg will be lower than summer mpg.

When replacing the tyres, make sure you get low rolling resistance tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my Prius.

I picked it up on Friday last and filled the tank.

I have been driving about town and did a 90 mile round trip on Sunday with 4 adults in the car.

The mileage was mostly motorway averaging about 80mph.

The display said that I was getting about 55.6mpg.

Not bad me thinks.

I have just cleared 125 miles since filling up and the fuel guage has dropped by 2 marks. Approx 2 gallons I guess.

Yes I am pretty impressed with that.

The Prius is fantastic to drive.

Just gotta sort out how to work the satnav by voice command or how to input destinations.

If you drop your indicated speed from 80 you will see a substantial improvement in that figure (if you choose to). For me, I usually travel at an indicated 66, which is a bit quicker than the lorries, but not much else. That might be too slow for you, but having done a very similar journey to yours yesterday I can report a 62mpg run, five adults on board.

Fuel bars on the display, as you will now have discovered, don't disappear in proportion to remaining fuel. So the first two take ages, the last one takes about three seconds.

As to the satnav and voice commands, it's not that brilliant. For example, if you look at American instructions online they say you can say "address" and then number, street name, town, etc.. Here, that doesn't work. Who knows why? So the only way of entering destinations is via the touch-screen, which can be laborious, and doesn't do full postcodes either (Gen II).

I have to admit I've long abandoned the satnav in the Prius, I leave the map showing out of interest, but run a TomTom on the iPhone and put the output through the car Speakers. Way better system all round.

Edit: Actually, you can program a few "quick access" destinations and call them up via voice, and of course you can say "home".

did you mean you were averaging 70 mph or below?! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Had the car now for a few weeks.

I have only used 2 full tanks since I picked it up but the economy seems great.

I have got about 480 ish miles from a full tank both times, this includes a lot of m/way driving and a lot of local hilly town driving.

The onboard computer is reckoning I am averaging 54.9 MPG wich isn't too bad. My calculater is saying 54.

I know I don't hang about on the m/ways, so I am quite pleased with the results.

• 2 months later...