Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door Sill Scuff Plates

GreyRacer

Has anyone got a set of these door sill scuff plates fitted.

From US Toyota dealerships

Door Sill Enhancements

Brushed Stainless (PTS10-42080)

Stylish and practical, the custom-fit, heavy gauge brushed stainless steel door sill enhancements help protect the vehicle’s door sills from unsightly scuffs, marks and scratches that can occur when occupants are entering and exiting the vehicle.

Color: Brushed Stainless Steel

Notes: Set of 4. RAV4 logo.

This part fits the following vehicles:

Toyota: RAV4 2007 - 2011

329720_PTS10-42080_PTS10-42080.gif

I have sill protectors that from memory look either like that or very similar. They were fitted when I bought the car so would have been a dealer option I guess?

Very Worthwhile feature and one to get ASAP and ideally when car is stil brand new.

I have them - they are not made of stainless steel though, they are pressed from aluminium sheet and then annodised. Don't be fooled by the description you have posted. As it says, they are Brushed Stainless Steel in colour only.

Not sure of cost from Toyota here but I got the set of four in two purchase from E-bay for about £25

They simply stck straight onto/over the factory fitted plastic scuff plates. They don't really offer any extra protection and will in fact scratch if a shoe with grit on the sole, or similar, is scraped across them. They do look nice though, especially against a dark paint finish :yes:

Dead easy to apply BUT BEWARE the edges are extremely sharp so do not be tempted to run your finger along them prior to or when fitting.

Dave, they may get scuffed, but they DO offer extra protection as you could remove them at sale time and have the original scuff guard pristine, so as a sacrificial item, they do the job.

Dave, they may get scuffed, but they DO offer extra protection as you could remove them at sale time and have the original scuff guard pristine, so as a sacrificial item, they do the job.

Quite true Hoovie but they'd be more effective if they rolled over the edge of the sill and were a bit longer. I did toy with the idea of making my own with some aluminium chequer plate but the ones I have came up on e-bay so I never got round to it.

Cheapest I can find over here in the States is $84 from Toyota dealers. Disappointed that they are not SS though.

Not wishing to be Cheeky, but if you are in the USA, how come you have a Diesel Rav? Or am I reading this wrong!!!!!!

Regards Clare

Ref fitting sill covers, got a handy fitting hint .... They are usually fitted with the 3M double sided tape which gives an very strong and INSTANT bonding, which also means you need to get the fit spot on first time.

IF instead you leave the tape cover on and use silicon sealant, as used to fill gaps between sinks and tiles in kitchens & bathrooms, that will give a very strong bond once cured, but will allow position adjustment whilst it is curing.

I used this method on my Qashqai for the sill covers as they had an awkward 'double-step' to the, which made a spot-on first time tricky, and worked really well.

Not wishing to be Cheeky, but if you are in the USA, how come you have a Diesel Rav? Or am I reading this wrong!!!!!!

Regards Clare

Saw some diesel wans in Canada, Clare.....but totally astonified at how FEW filling stations actually had diesel pumps.

Cheapest I can find over here in the States is $84 from Toyota dealers. Disappointed that they are not SS though.

They may be stainless in the US but I doubt Toyota would do two different versions..............

Why not get down to your local dealer and ask to see a set?

There are stainless versions available on e-bay in the US:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Rav4-Rav-4-Door-Sills-Steel-Plates-4dr-06-07-10-/250663180848?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5cb09a30

Would have had these myself but put off by the postage to UK

There are also fancy illuminated ones from a Hong Kong seller...............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-SILL-SCUFF-PLATE-CHROME-w-Blue-LED-Toyota-RAV4-2009-/360416041989?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ea785c05

Ref fitting sill covers, got a handy fitting hint .... They are usually fitted with the 3M double sided tape which gives an very strong and INSTANT bonding, which also means you need to get the fit spot on first time.

IF instead you leave the tape cover on and use silicon sealant, as used to fill gaps between sinks and tiles in kitchens & bathrooms, that will give a very strong bond once cured, but will allow position adjustment whilst it is curing.

I used this method on my Qashqai for the sill covers as they had an awkward 'double-step' to the, which made a spot-on first time tricky, and worked really well.

Good point Hoovie. Tigerseal is an automotive adhesive/sealant that is really good for this kind of application but the silicon is cheaper and probably easier to separate should the need arise later.

Regards Clare

Not cheeky Clare. I live in Berwickshire, Scotland. I'm in the USA with my ship.

Stocking up on bits that are hard to come by and espensive in the UK. Already spent a fortune on items for the Celica and saved over 50% on everything.

They don't really offer any extra protection and will in fact scratch if a shoe with grit on the sole, or similar, is scraped across them. They do look nice though, especially against a dark paint finish :yes:

I think they look better than the default plastic. Just a thought, do what I did and also extend your own idea for the fog lamps (I had the same idea for the lamps independantly of you too).

In my case, I thought about the scratching, so I covered them in 3M bike/blade tape, which doesn't show the scratches so much, plus can be easily replaced. Can you tell these are covered with it? Maybe just, if you look at the RHS edge. :thumbsup:

sillfilm.jpg

They don't really offer any extra protection and will in fact scratch if a shoe with grit on the sole, or similar, is scraped across them. They do look nice though, especially against a dark paint finish :yes:

I think they look better than the default plastic. Just a thought, do what I did and also extend your own idea for the fog lamps (I had the same idea for the lamps independantly of you too).

In my case, I thought about the scratching, so I covered them in 3M bike/blade tape, which doesn't show the scratches so much, plus can be easily replaced. Can you tell these are covered with it? Maybe just, if you look at the RHS edge. :thumbsup:

sillfilm.jpg

Good idea SHCM - but then what do I do to protect the tape with? :rolleyes:

Good idea SHCM - but then what do I do to protect the tape with? :rolleyes:

Racing helmet visor tear-off strips :)..........Eventually you won't be able to shut the door. :thumbsup:

Regards Clare

Saw some diesel wans in Canada, Clare.....but totally astonified at how FEW filling stations actually had diesel pumps.

I think they treat oil burners a bit like Lepers over there Kev - most of the diesel pumps I saw were hidden around the side or back of the gas stations. I guess Bothy would approve of that.....................

Most petrol pumps I used had a minimum of three grades of petrol though, each with different levels of additives or for different conditions.

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fuelsavings/139.aspx?__utma=1.1414540252.1347813397.1347813397.1347813397.1&__utmb=1.2.10.1347813397&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1347813397.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=petro%20canada&__utmv=-&__utmk=12434740