Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Second Hand Iq Still In Warranty?

lightbearer

Hi everyone,

I am a proud owner of a second hand IQ - VVT1, love the car!!! (so does everyone else I know when they see it) Just a question about Warranty - I bought it privately, it was first registered in Nov 2009 (23rd) so its first MOT is due this November. Can anyone tell me if I still benefit from its original 3 year warranty as a private buyer? Also I know its had the steering recall done, I have read the thread on the MPG read out - mine does not seem to have a problem - but are there any other issues I should know about, which could be covered under warranty if indeed that is still applicable to my car. Thanks for any info that might be helpful. Thanks - Lightbearer

Welcome to the forum.

Just a quick hello and someone might be able to put up the link for you to check if your car needed the Brake Pipe Recall or anything else.

You should be covered i believe with the Manufacturers warranty for 3 years from the Date of first Registration.

Maybe worth getting the car in for its MOT 1 month before it is due.

have fun with your car.

george

Thanks george,

I will book it in for end of October for its MOT - I need to find out about the brake pipe issue, is there a website or contact no. where I could give my registration no. and find out if its had all the recall work done or not? I'm a little anxious as there is no paperwork saying anything with the car. thanks - jack

Sorry i have not linked it because i am on a poor dongle reception in the hills.

Its in an Official Toyota recall site, you can check your vehicle.

someone will be along to post/link it for you soon hopefully.

(or call into a Toyota Dealer & ask them to check.)

george

If you do have a 2009 iq with a real time MPG readout that goes to 99.9mpg then the display unit will have been changed at some point in it's life.

Changing this unit however resets the total mileage read out so if you have no paperwork with the car the miles you think are on the car may be wrong.

Toyota keep a record of this unit being changed and possibly they keep a record of any other work that has been done by franchised dealers so it may worth enquiring with your local dealer if they can trace any history of the car?

Craig.

Thanks everyone,

I looked at the car on the link, says my IQ has no outstanding issues. I think I will phone the dealership where it was first purchased to see if the mileage was in fact reset. They should have noted it on the book, but as its only got 8160 on the clock it has not had its 1st 10k service yet. (By the way it is genuine low mileage as previous owner never used it much, know that for a fact.) Thanks again for replies.

jack

Has it not had 2 annual services?

I feel you may not have any luck if it required Warranty work if it has gone 3 years without a service.

If all is well, then that is not really a problem.

If the Brake Pipe recall was done, then it will have had a Brake Fluid change and should not require that now.

george

Just add at some stage the warranty period was increased from three years to five years, I am not sure when this happen but our IQ3 has five year warranty.

Rgds

So today I contacted WESTOVER Toyota, where my IQ was first purchased. I have found out that the brake pipe and master cylinder recall was done, so all is well (plus the steering recall). NO servicing has been done by Westover, but it seems that a "Winter Service was done by another Garage, not sure who though. Westover mentioned that a wing mirror unit had also been replaced.

The car has now just over 8200 on the clock, interestingly no computer MPG readout fault was reported and no change made, WESTOVER assured me that this IQ was one of the lucky ones that did not have a problem with the MPG readout being stuck at 60.0.

One thing that is niggling me though is what I have read on this forum regarding the EGR valve - I have looked and I have the old type! I do not want problems later when car is out of Warranty. Do you think I should try to get this work done? And can anyone recommend a North London Mr T dealership that would be inclined to help with the issue?

Also what should I expect to pay for a first 10k service? (+MOT of course)

Thanks for any further input, appreciate it very much.

jack

Servicing on all Toyotas is due at One Year or 10000 miles (Whichever comes first)

In your case your car has missed two services (First and Second year)

Ideally it should have a full service (Normally done at 20000 or 2 Years)

As said above, any warranty claims would rely on Toyotas good will as the servicing has been missed

You may be able to come to an agreement with the dealer regarding warranty claims if you get the servicing up to date :)

I think you would really need to talk it over with a Toyota Service Manager or Technician/mechanic.

Your car is low mileage and all iQ's of the same age have not had EGR problems.

You would have to balance any costs now with any future expense that 'only might' be incurred.

When i hear 'Winter Service' i tend to think of the 'Winter Service' offer by the 'Fast Foot Dancing Fitters'.

£59 or £99 and and Oil & Filter Change & a fluids and Emmisions check.

Well i watched one of those being done on one of my cars,

the reason being they had done a 'Winter Service on my Nieces car, & when i checked it, nothing was checked, or done other than the Oil, the filter was not changed , cleaned tho & she was charged for Fully Synthetic.

*She asked me to look because it had an oil drip, & she had put it in to 'them' to save me doing it,

I had done the previous Service. So i knew the Oil filter i had fitted.,*

So,

i went online and Booked a 'Winter Service' & Oil change for the 10% Discount.

(That is the offer my Niece had seen, & she booked and paid that way.)

I then went down to the Depot & spoke to the Counter Serving Fitter.

I told him i had booked in for later that week, but my vehicle required a new 'Crush Washer' on the Drain Plug and they were difficult to get.

He said no Problem they have 'all the washers',

I asked if he would go check & check if they had the Correct Filter or would need to get one in.

Off he went, came back and said they had the washer and Filter.

So 8.45am i am there 2 days later, different fitters, Car keys handed over & i wondered off saying i would be back in an Hour.

10 minutes later as it goes on the ramp & wondered back in & used the Coffee Machine and sat down to Read.

My mate pulled in with his car & asked about a check on his exhaust, and as he waited we chatted and watched.

Long and Short.

My car on the Ramp. No bonnet opened.

Ramp Half Up. Fitter tries various Plug Spanners, gets the right one and plug and oil out.

Jumps up on Ramp & gets bonnet open.

Reaches in and start to clean the OIl Filter.

Jumps down & puts Up the Ramp.

Walks under and looks at the Exhaust, nothing else.

Goes to the shelf to look for a New Washer.

Goes to a Drawer & looks for a new washer.

Wipes the Drain Plug and old washer clean, & puts it back in.

Drops the Ramp.

Pulls over the Oil Filler Hose & with it in hand, For the first time removes the Oil Filler cap,

& puts in an amount of Oil.

No Oil filter was changed.

Talked to a Mate, went back & dipped the Oil, Cap on & Bonnet closed.

He then came into Reception, talked to the Guy that had been on the Desk, signed and ticked the 'Winter Serivce Check list'.

The Guy asked me How i was paying

I said it was 'Booked & Paid' by card online. But he said the SErvice gets paid now, no money had been taken, it was just a Holding Card Number.

I asked when the 'Winter Service' was getting done. 'all Done' everything is fine'.

So then i asked for the Manager,

He said there was not one but he was Acting.

I said yes, Acting at Servicing cars. AND COULD KILL PEOPLE.

*" 2 Fitters said i was not taking my car, it still needed some checks,

They changed their minds when my mate said we were taking our cars.*

So Kwi* Sli* were impossible to speak to on the Phone.

Emails were not answered untill Trading Standards Contacted them.

My niece and i were offered 2 full Services & MOTs free.

We accepted Double the Price of 2 Winter Services each to have our services done ourself.

My Cars oil that came out when i drained it, was the Wrong oil.

Boring Story.

Do not Trust 'Winter Services' or 'Winter Service Checks'.

george

Thanks george, "winter service" warning noted!!

Will get in touch with Toyota - there is one in Colindale NW9 - will talk to service manager as suggested by "Red Yaris 54" - thanks.

I just want to be sure I can get the car "up to scratch" as I intend to keep this beauty for a while. Getting 51mpg in London which I consider brilliant considering all the traffic I get stuck in!

jack

Car now booked in for its "1st" real service and MOT, Mr T did not seem to think there would be any problems as the car has done so little mileage. So here's hoping. I spoke about the ERV being the old type, the advisor said thats only been a problem with the Prius not with IQ's! I mentioned that several IQ owners had experienced problems - he said not enough IQ owners had had the problem to initiate a general recall, but Prius its a different story though...

Must say I do not experience the sudden lack of power reported by some, but of course the car has so few miles on it, just hope the problem does not surface as I clock up the miles, I do around 12000 annually so in a years time the car will have passed the 20000 miles mark easily.

jack

Car now booked in for its "1st" real service and MOT, Mr T did not seem to think there would be any problems as the car has done so little mileage. So here's hoping. I spoke about the ERV being the old type, the advisor said thats only been a problem with the Prius not with IQ's! I mentioned that several IQ owners had experienced problems - he said not enough IQ owners had had the problem to initiate a general recall, but Prius its a different story though...

Must say I do not experience the sudden lack of power reported by some, but of course the car has so few miles on it, just hope the problem does not surface as I clock up the miles, I do around 12000 annually so in a years time the car will have passed the 20000 miles mark easily.

Jack

He's telling a big fat lie. Mr T will have to treat your IQ like the ones that has been fixed (like mine.)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136556&hl=warranty

That link above is the thread that contains the bulletin number for the EGR problem, pictures and very helpful advice from many forum members.

After you have this with print outs armed with you, go back in. This is a major problem that cannot be ignored. I didn't think much of it before I got mine done and realising now, it definately is a major problem. As George says as well - never trust any garage. There's a few nice garages out there but there are few far between now a days.

When you go back in with the bulletin number and pictures of the old and new EGR valve (found in my thread also 'Project Tess') please press the sales advisor into the floor how dangerous this could be. If that gets nowhere, ask for the head mechanic AND the general manager. Keep by your guns and you'll get it sorted and 1k worth of very important issues fixed and replaced. Make sure they reset your ECU as well, as mine didn't and I had to do it afterwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, Just wondered if you have any opinion regarding the reply I have from Toyota Customer relations, regarding the EGR Valve problem - I quote below (but have removed names):

Dear Sir

Thank you for your recent letter dated 24 September 2012 and for taking the time and trouble to contact Toyota.

I have investigated your concern with our Technical Department and they have also confirmed that we are not aware of an issue affecting EGR valves on the Toyota iQ.

I must explain that Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) are recommended procedures for repairing vehicles. TSB’s can range from being vehicle specific to covering entire product lines and breakdown the specified repair into a step-by-step process. The majority are authored by the first automotive technician to come up with a repair procedure. Because certain problems may have more than one cause or there are sometimes more than one way to fix a problem, it is common for there to be more that one TSB for the same problem.

TSB’s are also released to offer information on a wide variety of issues and not all necessarily relate to faults of problems. A TSB is our way of effectively communicating with our Centre Network on Technical related issues.

However, should any defect be found on your vehicle during the manufacturers warranty the repairs will be covered free of charge under this policy. If a fault arises outside of the warranty we can, in certain circumstances, look to contribute towards the repair costs, based on the age, mileage, and servicing and purchase history. However, we would always recommend that our customers purchase an Extended Warranty to safeguard their investment.

In closing, thank you for taking the time to contact Toyota and for bringing this matter to our attention. I hope I have answered the questions raised in your letter but if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on 01737 367600.

Yours sincerely,

(signed)

Customer Relations Executive

• 2 weeks later...

My IQ went in today for its MOT and first full service - passed the test fine and no advisories!! I am also most relieved to report that the EGR valve IS TO BE REPLACED under warranty!! The parts are on order the car goes in within a week. Especially in view of my previous post (above) I was amazed that I did not have to fight my corner for it. I will be much happier getting this essential work done as I have experienced the familiar symptoms (hesitancy and loss of power once while pulling out of a junction). Thanks to this forum I was alerted to the issue - worthwhile reading.

jack

• 1 month later...

Update:

Pleased to report that my IQ has now got a new EGR valve, I was a little worried when I first got it back on my drive home after collecting it from Mr T - as there was still a moment of hesitation in the engine while driving along at 40 mph, but this only happened once - since then I have covered over 100 miles including some Motorway stretches and I am glad to say that the ride is smoother than it ever was. The car also seems more responsive on acceleration. Very pleased with the result and grateful to have been alerted to the problem in time (thanks to this forum) to have it sorted under warranty.

jack