Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Diesel Fuel Problem

brakenut

Hi,

I run a 2005 Rav4 2 litre diesel (3dr) and I’m experiencing some sort of fuel/sensor problem. When I accelerate hard through third/fourth gears the acceleration becomes retarded for a sort period of time, eventually picking up back to normal. This problem is more noticeable when travelling up hills.

I have no warning light showing and recently had a fuel flush and a fuel filter changed.

Has anyone got any suggestions how to rectify this problem?

Thanks Ian.

It sounds a bit like the SCVs. Have a read at the pinned section.

Hi folks, I have the exact same problem just now on my 2006 T180 with 64k on the clock. It's driving me up the wall as I got the car last May with 1 previous owner and full Toyota service history. I have had no issues with it all until now. In fact thats the reason I got the Rav as I thought it would be a reliable high mileage buy and the kit on T180 amazing.

Strangely the car only seems to have developed the fault after Toyota serviced it earlier this year. The problem is only really noticeable on long journeys and I haven't done a large number of them since the service (live in Edinburgh).

I had the EGR valve replaced last week and it seemed to resolve it for about 1 day. Saying that i did test it in the cat myself and the problem is more much apparent when car fully loaded eg 4 passengers and going up hill it stutters in 5th gear and then as you accelerate the issue clears. It was really terrible when I was in Cornwall in the summer with 2 of us in car, loads of camping gear and bikes on roof.

I am going to take it back to Toyota this week as wondering if it's now the fuel filter? I don't want them to keep replacing parts trial and error as its starting to cost me a fortune and reluctantly I might need to just get rid of it. Diagnostics show no codes stored at all.

Thanks for any advice you can give me as I'm a very disappointed owner at the moment and I have no idea what I would get instead :-(

Hi, thanks for the response, no smoke noticed when accelerating hard.

Cheers Ian

- check with el contact in rail pressure sensor.

- check with both SCV coils resistance.

- CHeck with MAF sensor

regards / Igor

Hi folks, I have the exact same problem just now on my 2006 T180 with 64k on the clock. It's driving me up the wall as I got the car last May with 1 previous owner and full Toyota service history. I have had no issues with it all until now. In fact thats the reason I got the Rav as I thought it would be a reliable high mileage buy and the kit on T180 amazing.

Strangely the car only seems to have developed the fault after Toyota serviced it earlier this year. The problem is only really noticeable on long journeys and I haven't done a large number of them since the service (live in Edinburgh).

I had the EGR valve replaced last week and it seemed to resolve it for about 1 day. Saying that i did test it in the cat myself and the problem is more much apparent when car fully loaded eg 4 passengers and going up hill it stutters in 5th gear and then as you accelerate the issue clears. It was really terrible when I was in Cornwall in the summer with 2 of us in car, loads of camping gear and bikes on roof.

I am going to take it back to Toyota this week as wondering if it's now the fuel filter? I don't want them to keep replacing parts trial and error as its starting to cost me a fortune and reluctantly I might need to just get rid of it. Diagnostics show no codes stored at all.

Thanks for any advice you can give me as I'm a very disappointed owner at the moment and I have no idea what I would get instead :-(

Yes I'd started from fuel filter correct changing + bleeding the system.

Secondly check with SCVs

Regards/Igor