Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Fob - Getting Lazy

Dizeee

A new issue has arisen lately with my key fob. It is getting lazy and not allowing me into the vehicle. The last week I have numerous times had to use the key to get in. Thing is once I have done so and the car is moving/warm it works fine and just as before.

The car has been in direct sunlight when this has happened, but it has been hundreds of times before with no issues. When it fails, both the car recognising the key fails as well as trying to press the buttons to open the car. It never fails inside when starting the engine but I guess that is because it reads something magnetic and not Battery related?

Do these things have batteries and how long do they last? My IQ2 is a 58 plate that I bought in January 2011 and I have never changed the Battery, not sure when it was last done.

They are Battery powered and i would say probably last less than the normal key fob. There is a procedure to replacing it in the hand book

David

Or as my wife would say in this type of situation, time to buy a new car.

I see there are no posts yet on the 'Watchdog' item on the BMW's being stolen.

Plugging into the OBD & activating a new Keyless entry fob/key.

I take it this is just as possible with a Toyota.

They speak in the many Forums and online articles about breaking windows to get in, but with a Frequency Blocker so that you are not actually Locking or Alarming your vehicle as you leave it, they have an unlocked car to enter & plug into.

?? So whats the chance of it happening with the iQ,

& if it is possible are Toyota doing anything about it?

http://www.jalopnik....n-three-minutes

george

If this became prevalent, I would disconnect pin 16 of my OBD11 socket with a "secret switch" Anyone gaining access to my car would find no power to the socket so would not be able to power up the "device". Yes they could get feed from elsewhere on the car but as the unit is hand held they would have to, in the the dark of night find a feed and connect it to pin 16 of the device. Thats just not going to happen. If the unit was self powered i would short the data comm lead to earth again via secret switch..

I expect people know not to keep their keys on a hook near the front door,not only in case some one breaks in, but with smart entry technology, All one has to do is increase the range of the polling signal by using two hand held aerials and an RF amplifier.It has been demonstrated to work. so keep your keys at the back of the house and a distance from the car.

David

With a big thick Earth cable connected to a 2ft earth spike banged into the garden with water and a sprinkling of minerals Makes a superb Faraday cage. No radio signals in, No radio signals out. Ha Ha

David