Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Would You Do ? T180 Coming Upto 7Yrs Old

tubaman

Bearing in mind the cylinder head issue on the T180's and the associated 112K/7yr warranty:-

My T180 currently has 75K miles on the clock and is 7 years old next June. It currently has no cylinder head issues that I am aware of and has always been serviced at a Toyota main dealer.

Would you sell it before next June to be sure or take the chance of the head not failing ?

I was thinking of asking the dealership to do a `dip test` ? at the next service in February but not sure if this is the best approach - there could be many of you in the same boat as me as I love the car and dont particulrly want to change the car.

Its a tough call tbh mate! If you've not had a new 3/4 engine then I'd be inclined to get rid of it! as far as I can see the HG problems happen between the 50-99k on the 2AD engines. If you lived closer to me I'd do a "Sniffer" test on the engine for you with me Snap-on gear...

My 2.2 150 is in the garage at the moment for head gasket issues and it would appear I'll be getting a reconditioned engine - according to the dealer. I take it that's a 3/4 engine? Just waiting for Toyota to approve but garage are confident this will be done under extended warranty - as many guys have predicted on this forum so thanks for that. Otherwise I would not have known about it.

After reading soooo much about the head gasket problem I've become a bit paranoid unfortunately and if I wasn't getting a new engine under warrantly I would've considered getting rid.

When I dropped the car off at the garage the only space available was in front of the workshop doors where I parked next to.............another Avensis diesel waiting to go for the op!

I would see it as a mathematical question:

1. What is the value of your car now compared to its value at the time you initially intended to change it in the future.

2. What is the cost of a your preferred replacement with an engine that is known not to have this problem.

3. Can you afford the replacement now or will you be more likely to afford it in a couple of years time.

4. What are the odds of the current engine not having a problem.

Clearly the value of your car will depreciate more over time but as it gets older the depreciation factor is less. If you take the gamble and the engine fails after the extended warranty period it will probably be only good for spares as the cost of the replacement engine will be greater than the value of the car.

We don't know your financial situation so it is difficult to give strong advice.

Take it to the dealer and get the dip test done now, you never know.... :D

Thanks guys for your replies, I'm tempted to get the dip or sniff test done now with the main dealer.

Are there ay slight giveways to the potential impending doom that I can look for ? Car runs beatifully at 75K miles and not had any major problems so fat, I really dont wat to change the car. The only car I would consider getting at the moment would be the 320 BMW diesel with the 163 bhp engine & amzing fuel economy

Signs and symptoms for me were engine temp needle starting to fluctuate between half and 3/4, no hot air through heater, occasional sound of running water behind dash and white specs on plastic engine cover due to coolant expansion tank spluttering - I think!

The thing is when I topped up the coolant the needle dropped to just below halfway and I had hot air again. This lasted for about 1000 miles then needed topped up again. Other than than the car drove absolutely fine. My point being if it happens to you outwith the extended warranty top up coolant and trade it in to a garage - you should get full trade in value as, so far as I can tell, there are few if any external tell tale signs for the salesman to pick up on. (might want to clean the engine bay mind you)

I'd never sell privately like that but don't have a problem trading in to a garage - particularly a large dealership.

If you are going to be looking at BMW diesels follow the links below to see the well documented problems with the Swirl Flaps.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f91/bmw-e46-diesel-info-including-*swirl-flaps*-t5537/

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=911477&mid=0

These are just two of the many sites highlighting the problems.

If you are looking at new or nearly new then the problems may have now been rectified.