Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav Is Driving Me Mad

flyboyprowler

We have just done our first long trip in the 2007 4.3, XT5 from Sussex to Newcastle. 7 hours in the worst traffic ever. However the car ran well, but I prefer the ride on the 4.2, But the sat nav is a nightmare!! Sadly I don't have the manual with me, so can anyone help with the following!!

Is it possible to change destination while the car is moving, and is it possible to stop navigation if the car is moving? I appreciate that this may be a safety measure, but it's driven me mad when we did a diversion and I could stop the beastie telling me to turn round!!

I have put in an after market disc, but that should not make a difference to basic operation.

Help please before we head south on Monday!!!

Ainsley

:) ... based on a 2009 SR180 ..

No, it is NOT possible to change destination while moving - it's a safety feature apparently. You have to stop (and can't ask your passenger to do it for you! ;))

You can Suspend Guidance - Menu > Suspend Guidance - followed by Menu > Resume Guidance when you want to. But I rarely bother and satisfy myself by shouting "shut-up" at the system.

Also, the system is pretty dumb if one deviates from the preplanned route - it spends far to much effort getting you back on route as opposed to getting to one's destination. (TomTom is much better in that respect.) But its does work and make the journey quite interesting ... :)

:) ... based on a 2009 SR180 ..

No, it is NOT possible to change destination while moving - it's a safety feature apparently. You have to stop (and can't ask your passenger to do it for you! ;))

You can Suspend Guidance - Menu > Suspend Guidance - followed by Menu > Resume Guidance when you want to. But I rarely bother and satisfy myself by shouting "shut-up" at the system.

Also, the system is pretty dumb if one deviates from the preplanned route - it spends far to much effort getting you back on route as opposed to getting to one's destination. (TomTom is much better in that respect.) But its does work and make the journey quite interesting ... :)

Thanks Philip,

I just spent a half hour playing with it, and found the stop guidance ok, deleted all the previous owners points and put home in. All in all good bits done. My Garmin is streets ahead (sic.) of this system, but I keep that one in Spain in the 4.2, not a lot of use here really!

If you update the DVD then all "greyed out" features such as full satnav access and track and album info on mp3 discs will be released. My 56 plate xt5 was like this but I bought a 2008/09 set of DVDs and it not only updates the maps but also the operating software.

I will be selling mine in the next few weeks as I am having a new rav so will revert back to the old DVDs for when it goes in part ex.

That is one option. I will post a thread for when they are for sale, otherwise keep an eye on eBay, but beware that copies will not work, they have to be genuine.

I *think* an update to the Sat Nav system software (loaded via the DVD) allowed the option to use the Sat Nav whilst in motion.

This lock on movement feature was introduced due to a 'gentlemens agreement' with the Japanese manufacturers, but that is no longer being followed, hence an update allowing the restriction to be removed and why the Toyota OEM Sat Nav in my 2011 SR allows full access whilst moving.

There is a work-round available for this - the Sat Nav works out its speed using the VSC signal not the GPS (pretty sure that is the case with the Toyota units?) so you could reroute the VSC signal via a switch and simply flick the switch open if you want to control the unit, then close it again when done and it will reposition itself after a short time.

I *think* an update to the Sat Nav system software (loaded via the DVD) allowed the option to use the Sat Nav whilst in motion.

This lock on movement feature was introduced due to a 'gentlemens agreement' with the Japanese manufacturers, but that is no longer being followed, hence an update allowing the restriction to be removed and why the Toyota OEM Sat Nav in my 2011 SR allows full access whilst moving.

There is a work-round available for this - the Sat Nav works out its speed using the VSC signal not the GPS (pretty sure that is the case with the Toyota units?) so you could reroute the VSC signal via a switch and simply flick the switch open if you want to control the unit, then close it again when done and it will reposition itself after a short time.

Lol...

You must've been typing this as I replied!

Yes, I can vouch that updating tge DVD definitely works!!! ;)

the Sat Nav works out its speed using the VSC signal not the GPS (pretty sure that is the case with the Toyota units?) so you could reroute the VSC signal via a switch and simply flick the switch open if you want to control the unit, then close it again when done and it will reposition itself after a short time.

Just to be pedantic that's "VSS" (Vehicle Speed Signal) not VSC (which is usually Vehicle Stability Control). Yes, it works with the older disks.

If you update the DVD then all "greyed out" features such as full satnav access and track and album info on mp3 discs will be released. My 56 plate xt5 was like this but I bought a 2008/09 set of DVDs and it not only updates the maps but also the operating software.

I will be selling mine in the next few weeks as I am having a new rav so will revert back to the old DVDs for when it goes in part ex.

That is one option. I will post a thread for when they are for sale, otherwise keep an eye on ebay, but beware that copies will not work, they have to be genuine.

So if the update is done using up to date, or more recent discs like yours, then will a copy disc work for nav, and retain the updates in the computer?

Would be grateful if you would pm me when your discs are available or let me know if they are going on fleabay or wherever.

As far as I know, the software is installed when the disc is first inserted, so if you revert back to an earlier version, so will the software. This is just the impression I got from switching mine back and forth. I will post on here to notify when my discs are for sale. Hopefully by next weekend as the new one should be in the garage for PDI and taxing any day this week. :)

As far as I know, the software is installed when the disc is first inserted, so if you revert back to an earlier version, so will the software. This is just the impression I got from switching mine back and forth. I will post on here to notify when my discs are for sale. Hopefully by next weekend as the new one should be in the garage for PDI and taxing any day this week. :)

As promised. Here are the discs I was talking about...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180978346694?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_3686wt_1271

I did post a topic for it but it seems to have disappeared. Against site rules maybe?

As promised. Here are the discs I was talking about...

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_3686wt_1271

I did post a topic for it but it seems to have disappeared. Against site rules maybe?

Thanks Ben,

You are right, the copy disc does not give a software update, and I may bite the bullet and get the latest update for the most recent maps.

Enjoy that new car!!

Ainsley

Ben, does the Touch and Go have full 7 character postcode search? I have the unit that was fitted prior to that and the FULL postcode search was on a second page so didn't spot it for months!

As a slight general aside talking upgrades, I bought a wireless reversing camera/screen setup for £75 off eBay last week for my new truck and as well as bluetooth hands free, the display had Sat-Nav capability which I used yesterday to get me from the Borders to the Falkirk Wheel and it was perfect! and the complete setup was probably half the price of an OEM disc upgrade!!

Ben, does the Touch and Go have full 7 character postcode search? I have the unit that was fitted prior to that and the FULL postcode search was on a second page so didn't spot it for months!

The Go has 7 digit postcode entry, just the accuracy is a little suspect (my home postcode when entered on the drive directs me 1/2 mile away)

Gus

The Go has 7 digit postcode entry, just the accuracy is a little suspect (my home postcode when entered on the drive directs me 1/2 mile away)

Gus

Lol! Not had any bad experiences with it yet. Got us to Attingham Hall at the weekend for our first drive out. I'm a gadget nerd so whilst being impressed with the Touch&go, I'd still like more. I expected it to have the detailed fuel consumption history graphs that the 12reg yaris had when I had a courtesy car, but it just has the standard trip computer, although I think it is much more accurate (less optimistic than previously) now. Either that or I'm getting about 29mpg if it need the same downward adjustament that the xt5 did!!! :jawdrop:

For all normal purposes the Satnav is fine, got me everywhere in Cornwall where we wanted to go. It is just not good for getting me to someone's front door in a hurry at 2am.

Gus