Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering 'clunk'

Aqualung666

Hi

I only bought this used Rav 4 a week ago and following advice from people on here I was aware of the need to check for problems with the steering. On the test drive it didn't happen, but over the last few days I can feel a clunk as I turn the wheel. I now realise that tis is a very common fault on Rav4's especially 2006/07 (mine is a 2007) and the internet is full of people with the same fault but Toyaota are refusing to do a recall. Do I have any redress with the dealership I bought mine from under their warranty? I also purchased a three year warranty off them. I 'm hoping they will fix this as I read a few people having their steering fail with this fault. Wonder why it wasn't noticable on the test drive! I'm so annoyed.

If you bought it from a Toyota dealer they will probably fix it for you. If not you can buy the part and do it yourself;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138882

The chances are it did it on your test drive but it takes you a few days to get the feel of the car.

It wasn't bought from a Toyota dealership - it was Mitzubushi dealership. I wouldn't be confident enought to attempt that sort of repair myself and surely after only owning it for 3 days it should be covered by their warranty. I've read quite a lot about this steering issue and there have been a few people who experienced the steering 'locking' whilst driving. I know Toyota don't seem keen to make this a recall, but there are thousands of people with this problem. I purchased the car in good faith that all it's functions were fit for purpose so the dealership must be liable to fix it?

You seem to have made the assumption they will not fix it - just talk to them. Print out the pdf and take it with you. Remember this is not a safety issue it is a nice to do so don't lay into them.

Anyone who has suffered lock up has had motor failure I suspect.

I'm going to contact them tomorrow and explain the issue. I'm due to go away for a week to the Lakes next weekend so can't let them have it back until then anyway. As you say, they may agree to sort it out and I should give them the option. What's annoying is that the salesman has driven it a few times and he must have felt it and they did the MOT and Service which surely would have brought it to light. THey seem to be a well respected dealership so I'm hoping all will go well. Thanks for you advise and help on this and for explaining that it's not a safety issue - I was a bit worried today as it seemed to be doing it all the time and with it being the steering I wasn't confident something major was wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

How did you get on? I've the same problem with mine. Only had it a few months.

General car dealer in Crossways managed to apparently cover up a heap of problems. (door repaired and filled, knocking steering - I don't recall it on the test drive either.., plus it was 'never off road' but did have 2" of mud caked into the parts underneath. Their warranty only cover if the car actually breaks down. (Here endeth the rant. Bitter though).

I've been thinking whether to fork out the 350 to replace or 150 for parts...

How did you get on? I've the same problem with mine. Only had it a few months.

General car dealer in Crossways managed to apparently cover up a heap of problems. (door repaired and filled, knocking steering - I don't recall it on the test drive either.., plus it was 'never off road' but did have 2" of mud caked into the parts underneath. Their warranty only cover if the car actually breaks down. (Here endeth the rant. Bitter though).

I've been thinking whether to fork out the 350 to replace or 150 for parts...

It has been mentioned elsewhere that a polite but firm letter to Toyota GB can yield results for the steering clunk. I didn't get as far as writing a letter - my local Toyota garage looked at it and said it wasn't a safety issue. In terms of the test drive, I found ours was much less noticeable in cold weather; was this the case with yours?

Firm but polite conversation is the way to go

I don't like this assumtion the dealer will fail to repair or even look at your car and not perform any repair, even before you have picked up the phone and spoken to them! :rolleyes: By all means have a rant if they bomb you off. Having the car 3 days would in my eyes warrants having it repaired, again, firm but politely remind them how long you have had it. The fact you did not hear it on road test is immaterial

As mentioned above it is NOT safety related and it is NOT a recall, that is why Toyota have not recalled cars, the steering will NOT lock up under this condition, get on the phone, fair but firm without ranting. He who shouts loudest does not always gets what he want!

Kingo :thumbsup: