Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 Vx - Questions About Keys

nubster

Hello all,

Just got back from looking at a lovely 2001 VX. Very keen on it but the (small independent) trader said it only had one key, so I have a few questions for you.

The key he has didn't have any buttons any it for remote entry so had to be inserted in the door lock. It operated the central locking and started the engine OK. It had the Toyota logo embossed on it so hopefully it's a genuine key, not a replacement. It was black.

So...

1. How many keys should this model have? I think it should be 3?
  2. Is remote locking/alarm standard on this model?
  3. Is the available key likely to be a "master" or a "valet" key? Some post suggest the valet key is grey but this one was black.
  4. Can a replacement remote key be programmed from the available key? And would it be 2 button or 3?
  5. As the replacement would need to a complete key including innards would this need to be gotten from Toyota or is there a cheaper option?
  6. Any rough idea on the cost of a replacement, I think I saw a post that said over £100! as I could use that as a bargaining point?

Thanks in advance,

nubster

I am sure you will get advice on a lot of your questions, as we have a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum. My 2003, 4.2 which I believe is the same model as yours has two keys, with 2 remote buttons. Replacement keys from Toyota are expensive, in the region of £ 150 and the programming I believe is done in car. Key blanks with the cutouts are available from e bay, but you would also need to source the remote units to be reprogrammed. I remember a recent post that dealt with this subject. Anyway, best of luck and welcome to the forum, whether you buy the car or not. :driving:

Hi Nubster and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Don't know the details you are asking for but I do know that additional keys and programming can be a whole can of worms. Others will be along to advise but I would be looking for at least a couple of hundred off the price................

Hello all,

Just got back from looking at a lovely 2001 VX. Very keen on it but the (small independent) trader said it only had one key, so I have a few questions for you.

The key he has didn't have any buttons any it for remote entry so had to be inserted in the door lock. It operated the central locking and started the engine OK. It had the Toyota logo embossed on it so hopefully it's a genuine key, not a replacement. It was black.

So...

1. How many keys should this model have? I think it should be 3?
  2. Is remote locking/alarm standard on this model?
  3. Is the available key likely to be a "master" or a "valet" key? Some post suggest the valet key is grey but this one was black.
  4. Can a replacement remote key be programmed from the available key? And would it be 2 button or 3?
  5. As the replacement would need to a complete key including innards would this need to be gotten from Toyota or is there a cheaper option?
  6. Any rough idea on the cost of a replacement, I think I saw a post that said over £100! as I could use that as a bargaining point?

Thanks in advance,

nubster

We've got two 4.2's and they both came with 3 keys, 2 black one's with remote lock/unlock buttons, plus a grey one without any buttons (called a valet key, I believe).

If you don't have the keys with the remote facility, it will be costly to replace them as I think it requires programming to the car's ECU. Kingo or Anchorman will no doubt be along at some point and advise about this from a more expert viewpoint.

More to the point however, you should ask the dealer why there isn't a full set of keys. It may be nothing more sinister than the previous owners still has them.

My 2002 VX petrol (best model IMHO) came with 2 black keys with 2 buttons for the CL and alarm and 1 grey valet one. The central locking nor the alarm works with this grey key but it does start the engine. There should also be a metal tag with the key no. on. You should see a flashing light near where the key goes in the column and one below the cig lighter if it is the same as mine when alarm is set.

edit: How much was it up for as I'm thinking of selling mine (1 owner 47k) early next year?

The factory immobilser is the LED near the driver's door with SECURITY under it.

The factory alarm/remote entry has an LED near the gear shifter on the centre console.

I would budget for a new key from the dealer, about £150 if you want a remote entry.

Whilst it is a DIY job to code new keys to the imobiliser and the alarm/remote entry, sourcing the parts is very hard, from experience. I ended up spending £70 on parts that did not work until I lucked out to find unused second hand parts for the RAV4.

Thanks all for the replies so far.

So a new key from Toyota is £150, however I've found a few threads that seem to say it's impossible to get a replacement without a working master key (one with the alarm buttons), see here and here. Instead it's a whole new ECU(?) and set of keys which is very expensive.

Is anyone able to confirm the above for sure?

Would be a shame as apart from this the car seemed a good'un but I think this would make me walk away.

Thanks

nubster

How much was it up for as I'm thinking of selling mine (1 owner 47k) early next year?

pmb,

It's up for 3695. 52K, fsh.

Regards

nubster

Yes you need a master key to code a new chip to the imobiliser. You could ask the garage to get you the key coded. They'll write it off against business tax and get business rates too.

Yes you need a master key to code a new chip to the imobiliser. You could ask the garage to get you the key coded. They'll write it off against business tax and get business rates too.

Joylove, can you explain in layman's terms what you mean by getting the key coded please? If a master key is needed, then how is this done without a master key? Sorry if I'm being dim.

nubster

Joylove, can you explain in layman's terms what you mean by getting the key coded please? If a master key is needed, then how is this done without a master key? Sorry if I'm being dim.

nubster

In my opinion I reckon the car is not complete unless it has the full set of keys. In the old days it didn't matter as you could easily get new keys cut just about anywhere (or, in the case of Fords, just use a nail file). But now that there are so many sophisticated systems & interfaces, the remote ops on the key are just as essential as any other major part of the car. You wouldn't buy a car without lights or wipers. I think that you should insist that the dealer sorts it out or else wlk away & find another car.

The biggest problem, apart from the cost & hassle of getting new keys, is what you would do if you lost the single key it comes with or it was damaged beyond use. Also, when it's time to sell it on, how do you explain to potential buyers why it only has one key?

nubster

There are master and valet keys. This is sort of the "security clearance" level given to the chip in every key for the immobiliser.

As a security measure, to add a new chip to the immobiliser (master or valet), you must first insert a valid master chip key. You can't add new key chips with a valet key chip.

Your key sounds like a replacement key. The only ways to tell if it is coded as a master of a valet is to try to add a new key chip to the immobiliser, or inspect it with techstream.

Am I missing something here?

If the key starts the car would it not have an imobiliser chip in it?

I seem to remember going into Timpsons in the past and they put my key in a reader and were able to duplicate that key and program it,but that was only for the imobiliser and not for the alarm.

Does'nt help does it? Now where is my coat?

Del

I called my local Toyota dealer today and they confirmed... got to have a master to program a replacement. Without it, it gets a lot more complicated and the parts guy suggested it could could be close to £1000 to remedy (I didn't ask exactly what was required as I was a little gobsmacked!).

Firemac raises a good point about losing your only key. My paranoid side also wonders how insurance companies would view the fact that the alarm was not able to be armed if the car ever got broken in to or stolen... any excuse not to payout!

So thanks again to everyone for the replies and advice. I'm going to pass this time. There will always be another one.

nubster

Hi Guys,

Master Key is specially codded chip key which can be used to make further duplicate keys

while Valet Key doesn't has an ability to be used to make a duplicate key

You can watch this video for differentiation between the 2 types of key:

but in today's time, most of the Locksmith's have a direct clonning device which can make the duplicate from one key irrelevant of whether you have Master Key or Valet Key.