Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent: Lost 1St And 2Nd Select In 4.2 D4D 2.0

tlwatts

Folks

Hello. Bought a 52 plate 4.2 swb D4D 2.0 with 100k on it last december, absolutely love it! Had a few problems, 5th failed a week after purchase but garage paid for replacement at Toyota Dealer, and has been great. Noticed occationally I have shudder when pulling off so been looing into DMF failure.

Then yesterday stalled in 3rd at a roundabout (acidentally tried to pull off in 3rd instead of 1st/2nd from rolling cause stupid woman stopped for empty roundabout cause her dog decided to check for her whether any traffic was comming... Must have been a seeing eye dog!) and initially engine would not start (recent ongoing problem when engine is hot, ie motorway driving) but when I went to select first, lever fell right over to edge of the trim opening and went forward, but was only selecting third. So now I have 3rd to 5th and reverse, nothing on the left had side of hte selector gate!

Any ideas or experience of this pelase? Tried searching the forum and google, must not be searching the right terms cause very little comes up. Issues on DMF suggest no gear selection, my problem seems to be with a selector fork or arm maybe, but I don't know.

Please help! I reall can't afford the bill from Mr T that I'm now dreading! Not even paid the darn car off yet. I've been allarmed by the number of problems with my car! Turbo went out earlier this year also, but changed myself for less than a third Mr T wanted, with essentially a new turbo, and Wow, car was like new!

Thanks for the impending support!

Hello Tyler,

I'm wondering if your problem is related to the fact that the gearshifter is cable operated and one of the cables has given up?

Way more knowledgeable folk will be along to advise. Just sit tight [no pun intended!]

It sounds like the gear cables have come adrift. You really need somebody local you can trust. It might be the Toyota dealer didn't put it back right and you could phone them but proving it might be difficult. The trouble is that once in there you are on £100 an hour labour if it turns out something else. A good trustworthy local might be a better starting point.

Hello Tyler,

I'm wondering if your problem is related to the fact that the gearshifter is cable operated and one of the cables has given up?

Way more knowledgeable folk will be along to advise. Just sit tight [no pun intended!]

It sounds like the gear cables have come adrift. You really need somebody local you can trust. It might be the Toyota dealer didn't put it back right and you could phone them but proving it might be difficult. The trouble is that once in there you are on £100 an hour labour if it turns out something else. A good trustworthy local might be a better starting point.

See...............................

Thanks guys.

Wish I had a good local trustworthy mechanic to go to. I can check that myself. Not the cables (don't believe) as I can move the lever over to the right for 5th and reverse as normal, so it is within the transmission (I shudder at the thought...). and my clutch won't last with 3rd gear take-offs like this!

can anybody recommend a garage/stealer around Derby/Notts/Mansfield please? I'm at J28 off M1.

One cable does left and right and the other does forward and backward. If they detach the lever will do some funny things.

Yes, pulled apart Toyota cable changes before ;) Troubling thing is the cable moves right to select 5th/reverse, but not left for 1st/2nd, so it can only be inside the transmission! I'll call a few places tomorrow. I can struggle to work etc using 3rd gear, just gives me chills sliding the clutch like htat, and I have the take off responsiveness of a single speed rickshaw!

You will have the dmf out of it if you are not careful. Park it up until you get time to look. I will find you some pdf's as soon as I get chance.

I'm VERY worried about that also, very juddery with 3rd gear take-offs! Can't park it though cause work is 25miles away and my bike is out of action, been modding it and dragging my heals! teaches me right! hopefully I'll leave it with a garage tomorrow and get a courtesy car.

Thanks for the help folks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links