Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wing Mirror Lighting

tarquin

Hi All

Some time ago i bought a set of replacement Wing Mirror indicator lenses. These are no normal lenses as they house not only the repeater LED but also 8 downward pointing LED's and a White bar LED. I fitted them today and it was a lot of hard work. First removing the inner door cover and removing the mirror. The mirror is removed via 3 x 10mm bolts also there is a plug that keeps the rubber surround tidy. Also a captive pin to stop the mirror falling on the floor when you take the bolts out. All of which are re-usable. Having the mirror removed, you have to then take the glass out by forcing the top of the glass inwards then using a flat blade, prise between the frame the glass is bonded to and the motor assembly. Once this comes unclipped, the top part of the glass simply clips off. Beware there are 2 x push in spades on the glass for the heater which just pull off.

There are 4 screws to remove, and the motor assembly can be moved aside.

Looking into the enclosure you will see various tabs which are the mirror cover clips. They have to be gently clipped off the frame as you work your way round. I had a bit of trouble with this. My original covers were white that came with the car, and i replaced them with chrome one's, courtesy of Sally iQ. The clips on the white ones were flexible and the covers were easily removed but the chrome one's were solid and brittle, I lost a clip on the way.

A plug with a pink and white cable fits into the indicator lens. This is easily separated .and 2 x screws removed , releases the lens. The new lens has a pair of wires, black and white with pins on the end which clip into a extension lead (supplied). These are for the Downward facing LED's. These i connected to my interior light so as the car is approached, they come on and light the floor . The other cable is black,red and blue. The black is common to the blue and red. Red is the indicator and blue the white bar light. Having fitted the lens, I snipped into the insulation of the pink and white wires and the red and black wires and soldered Red to pink and black to white. I cut the red so that it didn't carry on down through the second extension lead as it has no further use. I threaded the cables along the same route as the original cable and ran them parallel out of the hole where the mirror fits the door. To make this easier, there is an un-clippable panel at the bottom of the mirror assembly The mirror assembly was re-assembled..

The mirror assembly was then fitted back to the door.The original plug was refitted and the extension leads fitted to the new cables. I now had to get the cables into the body of the car. The flexible cable protector can be prised out of the door with your fingers . I then remover the triangle panel in the footwell after first lifting the scuff panel.This gives access to a cable loom and plus and sockets. If you put your hand behind the plug and socket bank you will feel where the original cables from the door come into the car via the rubber door. There are 3 plugs to unclip, A yellow one, A white one and A grey one. Once un-plugged, you can prise the boot out of the body side along with the 3 plugs. I got some stiff copper wire and holding the boot as straight as possible, pushed it through the boot from the car side until it appeared coming out of the boot in the car door. Then I taped the new cables to it and pulled them back through the boot into the car,

Re-fitted the inner door panel and the boot both ends and re-connected the 3 original plugs.

Now i had a choice, how i wanted them to illuminate. I decided i wanted the downward LED's to come on with the interior light, so fed the black and white cable up the door pillar to the roof area. This is easy done by peeling the rubber off the door opening surround and fitting the cable in the gaps.

Using stiff wire again I routed it to the dome light fitting and connected it to my extension plug on my modified dome light.

I was in 2 minds about the white bar light , I thought about connecting it to the DRL circuit but decided as it isn't to bright it would be wasted being on during the day.I decides to have it come on with the side lights,so i had to get a cable from the sight light where i had previously connected my DRL trigger. Looking from the front of the car with the bonnet up, right at the back of the engine is a large rubber grommet coming through the bulkhead. On this grommet is a small boot stubbed off for taking wires through the bulkhead so I cut the top off and fed a stiff wire through . I had to remove the lower panel under the steering wheel to get access to the wire.Because the cables from the mirror are common'd via the white original wire in the mirror , the red and black wire are not needed so were cut back where they came into the car body from the rubber boot, leaving just a blue wire.I removed the centre AC "V" panel and via cable ties, brought the blue wire out the middle of the consul. (this was done for both sides.) The cable i brought through the bulkhead , I soldered one end the the green wire of the side lights and the other to the 2x blue wires from each mirror. This is behind the A/C panel. Refitted the panel and it was finished.

Now as far as people saying about the legality of mirror side lights, As far as i am concerned the lenses look original so if stopped i will point out "thats how the car came"

If you look at Taz's build pages near the beginning you will see them on his car .Here is a link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-iQ-LED-outside-door-mirror-cover-turn-light-lamp-/120815880519?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c21300947

David

post-109788-0-35021400-1347829055_thumb.

post-109788-0-02563100-1347829088_thumb.

post-109788-0-98803800-1347829126_thumb.

That looks really good David. A hell of a lot of work, but well worth it in the end. As you say about the legality side of things, you're only going to know if you get pulled over. It looks very good lit up with the chromed mirror casings. It does look OEM -whatever that means.

:dontgetit:

Very nice, I'm extremely happy with mine.

"Honest Officer, they came with the car"... :angel_not:

Excellent David, have you got a link to where you bought them from. One of mine lenses has been holed by a stone or something, so I need to replace one of them anyway.

Hi mark

the link is at the bottom of my post. But if you dont want to go down that root. I have 2 mint originals that migjt help you out. The post should be useful info to replace them.

David

Or if you just want to replace the lens you can do it without having to remove the mirror from the car. Its a matter of removing the glass, unscrewing the motor assembly, unclipping the mirror cover. This gives you access to the pink and white lead plug and 2 screws removes the lens

David

I am intrigued to know what that object is reflected in the middle photo. It looks like the loop of a fluorescent lamp with a reflector behind it, but if it is then why is is red.

Hi Andy

Under the chrome mirror cover is obviously the new lense. What you are seeing is the 2 white bars that light up white wjen tje side ligjts are on. I jad a problem taking tje photo's because tne camera's auto setting kept putting the flash on So to get round it, i had my finger over the flash and the red focusing LED but some light escaped and was picked up via the 2 white bars.

David

Lol Lol now come on Tarquin/David!! thought you were Mr 'Techy' and you were beat with the auto flash on your camera... your messing with us really arnt you??

No no kidding. Its a Panasonic TZ20 and although it has 3 manual options the Flash won't go off.. I'm sure there are some camera bods out there who can help. Only had it a week and used it twice so not really looked in depth but have been through all the options and haven't spotted it

David

With the Camera on and on 'Auto' press the flash button on the back I think 4x then it will be on flash off!

Here are the different stages of lighting on the wing mirror lights...

Running lights...

DSCN0495.jpg

Turn indicator...

DSCN0494.jpg

Puddle lights...

DSCN0493.jpg

I changed my damaged lens for the I bought off David, easy enough to do, but I was convinced I was going snap one of the lugs off the chrome cover. I didn't though, but I had to come back in check I was doing the right way.

David: RE the foam between lens and cover I had some 'E' profile draft excluder that is for 1.5mm to 3.0mm gaps. Did the job perfectly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links