Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4Th Service - Cost And Worth It?

Dizeee

My IQ will be going next year around spring / summer so I have my 4th service booked in December when it will also need an MOT.

I am being quoted £160 for a small service by my local garage, with the MOT being £55 so thats £210 before I even start.

That seems like a lot for me just to change the oil and a filter, as thats all I believe they really do anyway. Is it worth just ditching the service? I will be part exchanging so im not interested in the service history, and I am sure the car will cope 6 months past a service interval. Or is this risky?

It's completely up to you.

If your confident enough with servicing your car, have the correct tools for the job and want to know that quality oil in going in your car, yes, service it yourself.

We bought our IQ, 4 months ago on 11,000 miles. Warranty ran out last month, therefore I got my local mechanic to do the servicing unless it needed anything very small like windscreen wipers etc.

Sorry but that is about doing an Oil & Filter change, not a service.

I would say about your 4 year service,

it might be a good idea to get one done someplace you can trust.

I do not mean just an Oil Change & filter service & door hinges oiled/greased & washer bottle top up.

You can not depend on what you had checked on the 3 year Toyota services up to now.

You need a proper inspection service unless you know everything is already checked.

Anti Freeze Strength, Brake pad wear & disc condition, Bearings checked, or greasing done if required,

Hand Brake cable checked and adjustment, possible air filter but at least checked. Spark plugs checked.

Wiper Blades etc etc.

You can check all you like yourself & ask the garage about everything else,

or find someone not charging £80 an hour or so for whatever they are doing.

Ask what you are getting done for £160, & how it breaks down.

Its worth having a car checked over if you are not doing it yourself, or know what to look for.

MOT's do not have to be £55, but its maybe worth avoiding the £35 places with Fast Foot Dancers.

If you just want a MOT pass & Oil change then talk to them about checking the car over

doing whats needed & getting it through the MOT

george

Sorry but that is about doing an Oil & Filter change, not a service.

I would say about your 4 year service,
it might be a good idea to get one done someplace you can trust.

I do not mean just an Oil Change & filter service & door hinges oiled/greased & washer bottle top up.
You can not depend on what you had checked on the 3 year Toyota services up to now.

You need a proper inspection service unless you know everything is already checked.
Anti Freeze Strength, Brake pad wear & disc condition, Bearings checked, or greasing done if required,
Hand Brake cable checked and adjustment, possible air filter but at least checked. Spark plugs checked.
wiper blades etc etc.

You can check all you like yourself & ask the garage about everything else,
or find someone not charging £80 an hour or so for whatever they are doing.

Ask what you are getting done for £160, & how it breaks down.
Its worth having a car checked over if you are not doing it yourself, or know what to look for.

MOT's do not have to be £55, but its maybe worth avoiding the £35 places with Fast Foot Dancers.

If you just want a MOT pass & Oil change then talk to them about checking the car over
doing whats needed & getting it through the MOT

george

I would say that is still a basic service. I do checks every week because I'm OCD so for me, the car is in better condition now than if I were to take it to a main dealer.

I was only replying to the post and the Link really, not picking fault with how you check your vehicles..

To me a 'basic service' done by me for someone else is check everything,

Tyre Pressures, Wheel Nuts, but then i would be checking Pads or Shoes and Pads with wheels off anyway.

Sight & sound checking Oil & Greasing & then reporting what is needing done.

1 hour of a Basic Service including the Oil & Filter done.

All fluid checked.

2 hours is stretching it.

An Oil Filter & Oil change and an Air Filter change is just that, it is not even a Minor Service,

Its a Filter Service & Oil change.

Does not even include In-line Fuel Filter or Pollen Filter changes.

Lots of 'Servicing' these days has become 'Inspect & report', 'Inspection Services'

& no longer Adjust or Replace as required.

Just concerned that often people need a car Maintained Correctly at 4 years old.

Passing a MOT just often means the Brakes Work & the emissions are OK,

Wipers & lights are fine.

Proper Servicing is a good thing if you do not do your own work.

george

It didn't mean to come across that way smile.png The main point was that even though garages say they have checked it, that is 'sometimes' not the case. Out of the 6 cars I've owned, all was this when it came to servicing, not forgetting my partners cars. Garages aren't what they used to be as it's a quick in and out job. Everywhere is different and there is so many factors on this subject, I could go on and on and on.

Sorry if it comes across that i am speaking about your car.

It was Dizeee's question & you putting up the link to an Oil change from Taz that made me reply.

george

Is there a list of items to check on a service available to the public?

I too look after my own cars and after building one from scratch and restoring a couple I feel pretty competent with anything mechanical on the car. If I could find a list of things that should be checked on a service I could make sure I do the basics as well as doing a few additional items myself.

My car is still under a Toyota finance agreement for one more year so there is a service in the middle of that. Wonder if there is small print somewhere saying the car has to be serviced at a recognised dealer to keep the finance people happy?

Craig.

A list of items at every service would be a great idea. Better check the smallprint on that one but would of thought it would be ok? But you never know! Ha

I cant service the car myself as I have no tools, work space or knowledge, but I think I will be getting back in touch with the garage to find out exactly what is included in the service. Thanks. I will report back here once I have found out!

You will find your local Toyota dealer will be cheaper than that for a service and mot

Alex

Fixed price servicing is available at your Toyota dealer.

This link will show prices and what is done

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=AfterSalesService&BrochureRCode=RC64591&TestdriveRCode=RC64592&CampaignID=C4305

You will find your local Toyota dealer will be cheaper than that for a service and mot

Alex

They quote £250 for a service and £60 MOT...

Alex

They cannot be serious.....but yes they are, unfortunately.

The Current MOT fee is £54.85, or it was yesterday.

They can charge less, that is their choice,

but they should not charge more,

so unless they said "around £60" they are cheeky monkeys. JMO

george

Alex

That quote is for a full 4 year service, which is the correct service for your vehicle but the dealer should do the basic oil and oil filter service for £119 for it and the mots should be 39

There seems to be discrepency with what sort of service I need and it's cost - I have a local garage that I use doing a full service (equivalant to the 4 year Toyota one) as well as an MOT all for £200 - so will stick with that!