Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help.... What Do I Look Out For?

robknx

Hello all,

Just joined the owners club, have been very impressed with my 54 plate 1.6 vvti t3. Was a second hand purchase and don't have the cash to give the car to a main dealer to look after. It has 68k on the clock with full history (last service by non-dealer)........ however...... and this is the big one. Do i need to do anything special to stop the engine blowing up eg.. cam belt, that sort of thing. I know very little about cars and i've been told belts can be a bugger. Do i change mine? can't see a receipt for one being done?

Thanks in advance for any wise words/advice.

Kind regards

Hi,

No worries as your engine has the strong timing chain instead of the weaker belts.

No specifed service routine or replacement time for the chain in the Haynes manual.

All you need to ensure is that it has a proper engine oil and filter change at least every 12 months or 10k miles, which ever comes first. ( some folk say every 5K / 6 months, perhaps worthwhile if you do a lot of short journeys where the engine never really gets hot)

A Haynes manual is very worth while as it will guide you though all the basic service routines if you want to do some things yourself.

Most tasks are quiet straight forwards requiring just some basic tools.

I agree with Oldcodger...couldn't have said it better myself. The Corolla is simply well known for its bullet-proof appeal, you look after it, i.e regular oil and filter changes and annual services on time...and it will look after you for many years to come...so much so you'll get bored of nothing going wrong! And most mechanical jobs on these cars are a doddle to d.i.y. but yes grab a Haynes manual for a better insight, or if you need help...there's always the Toyota Owners Club on hand to help out!

Just to mention, i did change my drive belt when i 1st got mine, not that it needed doing so, i just found a top branded belt going cheap and thought what the hell! lol.

Goodluck matey!

Sorry to butt in

Does a 54 plate 2.0D-4D have a timing belt or a chain would anyone know please?

A big thank you to you all, i heard having a chain is handy so thats cheared me up. Good advice for the short journeys as that is all i do. I did get the oil and filters changed when i bought it but will make sure i continue to do so on a regular basis.

Thanks again for your help........ i'll sleep easy now.

Best regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links