Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner Needing Help!

mawsy

Hi to all fellow MR2 owners, just got myself a 2000 mk3, and its blowing smoke! I have read the forums and it looks like a minimum of pre cat removal, ring change and liner honing. Can anyone point of in the direction of a workshop manual? All advice appreciated. Thanks Phil

Hello Phil......I will move this to the MR2 section where hopefully you should get some response from fellow owners

Welcome to TOC :)

Hi Phil,

Welcome along, I would have thought the mod might have put this into the mk3 section, where I would have seen it earlier!

Its sounds like oval bore could be your problem but smoke isn't always a sign. usually the oval bore means a greater consumption of oil, as much as a ltr in 500miles or less which usually goes un noticed and then its run dry and bang! So keep a fine check on your oil levels. The next thing that happens if the oil has been kept topped up is the excess oil breaks down the pre cat which is then digested back into the engine and bang!

Is you car using a lot of oil? what colour is the smoke? Any loss of power at all? Any chance of taking it back to where you bought it?

The best thing to do is to check out the MR2 Roadster owners club. That forum is dedicated to owners of the Mk3 and its little idiosyncrasies and the guys on there live and breath the Mk3. I'm sure they'll have some good advice for you?

Good Luck.

As referenced above, talk to the MK3 guys. Allthough the smoke is not normally there with overbore IMHO.......in the worst case senario might be worth hunting out a newer engine, remember to check out the engine number/ first registered list it will give some idea of engine age, ideally you want post face lift i.e after 2003!

B

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links