Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1St Gear Sound Normal?

anjin-san

Hello all,

I've just bought a new 1.6 Valvematic Auris. I'm very pleased with the car, drives very smooth, I've done 400 miles so far.

The one thing that bugs me is the whining sound it makes in the first gear, and only in the first - it's like an electric motor going up in revs or a reverse gear. I don't remember if it sounded like this from the beggining, but I've noticed it a couple of days after I bought it.

This shouldn't be normal as the other cars I drove didn't have this sound, except for the reverse gear maybe?...

I recorded it (It's the first gear first and then second.):

http://youtu.be/beZoFkpTZr8.

What do you think?

Thanks!

My 1.6 Valvematic is 2010 with 13700 miles on the clock, I have owned it for 5 months. You describe the sound very well, and yes I was a bit surprised that it was like reverse gear!

If no other replies are forthcomming I think we can say "they all sound like that sir".

Thank you for your reply, it's good to know that it's the normal behaviour.

It's incredible though that mechanics have the same trade-mark sayings all around the world. I'm not from UK, but the mechanics in my country say the same thing: "they all sound the same" :laughing: . Of course not in english but: "asa face toate" (some will understand this ;)).

They say that while a cars still in warranty,but when the warranty is finished its a different comment. Its money making time.

Totally agree with acetip. Took mine in for a sticky change from 5th to 4th under warranty. Reply, well you know what Toyota gearboxes are like! After much argument, guess what, they fixed it.

Like we say in the IT world, "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

Like the whistle we get on the new Yaris D4D from the drivers side mirror...Toyota told us it was a feature of the car. Unfortunately in Japanese Feature must mean Defect!.

Must say in defence of our local Garage. RRG Stockport. They always investigate and have treated me and my wife with the utmost decorum. My Auris is superb and the dodgy radio was a bad connection on the hands free kit not the radio itself. The new Yaris, well try prying it from the hands of my sweet wife. No don't try she will have you.