Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It's Back With New Engine And Clutch

kenny7964

Well got it back last night with a new engine from Mr T.

new engine strangely not as quiet as the old one, but goes much better and fuel read out showing 52MPG rather than mid 30's. I just filled it and i will check it brim to brim.

I opted for a new clutch and was at first quoted £460 but after saying to service manager i would struggle at that price as i have only just bought it from your Glasgow branch. I hadn't expected to be spending anything on it for a while, he then said he would supply it at cost which to me ment £305.

I had asked them to check out the steering knock and they reported back nothing found. However the steering feels tighter. there is no more knocking and the steering wheel is now straight rather than off center as it was when it went in. I can only asume they stripped it to check it out and rebuilt it properly, I will ask no questions.

So here is hoping for some trouble free motoring,

many thanks again

Kenny

Nice one Kenny.

If it doesn't seem as quiet it would be worth mentioning to the dealer as most folk in your situation have reported a quieter experience after. Maybe they didn't tighten something fully?

Just wondering... If they replace the engine of a standard d4d (136), is it replaced with the new 150bhp as the 136 is no longer available?

Just wondering... If they replace the engine of a standard d4d (136), is it replaced with the new 150bhp as the 136 is no longer available?

now thats an interesting question, One for Don i think. i know my old engine wasn't very well or it would not have been changed but it ran fine, it did not feel sick no missfires or anything. if it had not been for the info i found on here and a slight blow out the header tank i would not have known for a while.

As it's new i have not pushed the revs at all and i have only done 50 miles but it does feel much more pokey. i thought the only difference was the engine mapping but that was from something i read on line.

Kenny

Nope. Its a heavily modified 136 engine.

Did they put the cover back on the engine (top and bottom)?

BTW, if they have fitted a new cat it will sound different (more crisp is probably a reasonable description).

Nope. Its a heavily modified 136 engine.

Did they put the cover back on the engine (top and bottom)?

BTW, if they have fitted a new cat it will sound different (more crisp is probably a reasonable description).

top cover is back on, i will check the bottom one in the morning, i will need to clear the garage out and stick it up on the ramp to check if the cat has been changed but yes thats a good description Don, the old engine sounded like a noisey petrol this sounds like a quiet crispy Diesel.

You can see the cat down the back of the engine - its a close coupled device.

Mine was really a lot noiser when I got it back after the rebuild, so much so, I took it back. I suspect They had forgotten to fit something during the rebuild. They said it was a rubber dampener missing, but I was sceptical, as it sounded like they has missed off some soundproofing between the engine and the cabin. And it came back much quieter and has been fine since.

Well done about 100 miles now and the engine is very quiet now, think there might have been a bit of air in fuel system causing a slight Diesel knock.

My old Discovery used to draw air in to the fuel system and it would get a bit of a knocking noise but if you bled the system it would go all quiet again.

Good to hear your milage has gone up, since my engine change its gone down.(based on brim to brim test over 5000 miles) Only getting on average 33mpg. I fill up soon as fuel light comes on, approx 46-48 litre fillup. Last fill only did 319 miles using 47 litres.

Was hoping by now engine would be run in and seeing an improvement.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links