Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Mot For My Iq

Just a general question really. Having owned the car for almost a year, with a lot less than 10,000 miles done, 'Would there be anything that might crop up that could cost a bit?'

It will be done 3 days before it's due, just in case; at a cost of £35 at our local Toyota dealer in Shrewsbury, on October 24th. I always check the fluid levels, lights and wipers, tyres, make sure connections -where I can- are tight and secure. I did point out to them -Mr. T.- at the service, a couple of dings in the windscreen. They are not in the drivers eye-line and the, Motor Technician?, well, he said as long as they don't get bigger and crack the screen they won't be a problem for the MOT.

Tyres are fine, pressures will be checked again before taking it in. No probs inside, I think everything works as it should. I expect I will need to take out the stuff from the back, unstuff the rear belts and put the seats upright so they can check the seat belts work.

Our last MOT on the Mondeo pointed out that they couldn't test the rear belt on the nearside as there was a childseat in place. Held there by the seatbelt it was... so I would have thought that was a pass for the seatbelt? So... think I got it all covered, but then I'm not a jeani-us...

:no:

I had mine done last month, The back seats were flat and pilled high with stuff i emptied from my Peugeot. Didn't bother them,, They didn't mention it. I mentioned I had fitted HID head lights and did they want me to put the originals back, they just smiled and said Nah

David

With the belts they want to check that there are no snags or pulls in the actual belt, that the inertia reel works as it should and the mounts are secure. With a child seat in place that can't check those things and it doesn't prove the belt is working correctly just because it held in place with the belt.

One check that is carried out on seat belts is that they release under tension

This is so that if inverted in an accident and hanging in the belt it is possible to escape

The test is performed by fastening the belt then pulling on it and trying to operate the release buckle.

I am reliably informed that quite a few 3 year old cars fail this (My mates 3 year old Hyundai I 20 failed)

My iQ has a problem. There is a road near me that has a junction at the top of a hill which has a steep gradient and a curve to the left. The "T" junction is slightly obscured to the right by foliage If I come up the hill quickly and stop abruptly, my seatbelt holds me tight to the seat preventing me from leaning forward to check traffic from the right. No amount of gentle pervasion will release.it. I sometimes have to clip release it as its dangerous to proceed. In the event during winter and the foliage is less, the same thing happens but i can see. Just as i level out it all releases again. I suppose its the ball bearing and inertia causing the problem assuming seat belts are still made that way.

David

Had that once on my old Range Rover

Jumped in one morning and could not get the seat belt to pull out no matter how much I tugged, wiggled, pushed the slack back in, nothing would get it to move. Played for a good 10 minutes swearing at it and hitting it then thought, better move the car across to the garage door and get the tools out I suppose.

Moved it 5 feet up the road and the belt released!

Must have just been parked at an angle or something that upset it but it never did it again in the same parking space.

Can you pull some slack from the belt before you get to the junction then release it again once under way?

Craig.

Ha yea i could, I just don't go that way any more. Or i could just push my belly out so when i get to the top i breathe in Lol

David

Ha yea i could, I just don't go that way any more. Or i could just push my belly out so when i get to the top i breathe in Lol

David

Was that at a Mr. T. dealer? The issue we had with the Mondeo was a local garage. I was quite surprised as at other times they had been quite lax. :eek: Maybe they were being watched?

Thanks for the input Mark and Red. Obviously there may be an issue somewhere, and I guess it could be anything really. Just trying to discover if it's something I can deal with before the monumentous day. David, we used to have a similar problem with our Mondeo, very rare it was, but I recall pulling up at a junction quite sharply -not my usual method of approach to junctions- and the damn thing tightened up on me so I couldn't lean forward at all to see what was coming. It's a bad junction too, from either side, overgrown countryside hedges. Luckily, being out in the country, no one was behind me so I relaxed, and so did the seatbelt eventually. Funny thing is, I swore at it too, but it never does any good. My wife tells me I'm nuts shouting at inanimate objects, but when things don't work properly, what is the alternative? Keep quiet? Break it? Not had that problem, that I can think of, with the iQ however.

Yeah David it was you, but somehow I mixed up the quote as it should have been this one below. I even confuse myself at times. Sorry bud.

'Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

I had mine done last month, The back seats were flat and pilled high with stuff i emptied from my Peugeot. Didn't bother them,, They didn't mention it. I mentioned I had fitted HID head lights and did they want me to put the originals back, they just smiled and said Nah

David'

Dont panic it will be fine! Had mine MOTd in Feb and it passed with no advisory's and it is modified.

Dont panic it will be fine! Had mine MOTd in Feb and it passed with no advisory's and it is modified.

Cheers Sally for the vote of confidence in the iQ. I will have my fingers crossed when I'm sat waiting for it to pass, and yes, I feel confident, but there's that little nagging gremlin on my shoulder telling me not to be counting my chickens just yet my lad!

I had the same worries when mine was coming up to its MOT last week. Toyota couldn't do it before the due date so I just took it to the chap who services our other car but he could find nothing awry with it at all............however, I did have a few issues with the car. Chugging at low speeds and this lack of power when trying to accelerate. It has been in for the lack of power problem before but they said it was nothing. This time I told them I wanted it checked out again as the warranty was coming to an end so they slotted it in the day before the warranty ended and sure enough, that EGR (is that what it is called?) valve needed replacing!!!!

I don't know if it is my imagination but it seems a bit zippier now.

I also informed them of a couple of other problems i.e. a high pitched squeal coming from the wheels or brakes but needless to say it wouldn't do it on the day. However, I did inform them that as I have reported it, I expect it to be done under warranty if it proves to be a problem. Not entirely sure where I stand there though.

Having your brakes pads and calipers, also the bearings checked would be a good move.

A Wheels Off check.

( & this would be a chance for it to get some Copper Grease behind the brake pads.)

Was there any Advisory on the MOT for corrosion on the discs?

I would of hoped that while checking, the Toyota Dealership workshop would have pointed out if you required new Pads soon, if they will be needed..

Did your iQ get a Brake Pipe recall and hense also have the Brake Fluid replaced?

george

When you guys mention the lack of power when accelerating, can anyone explain further to that effect? Mine is a 2012 '12 plate. I changed down from a nippy 1.4 Renault to a 1.0 and I'm trying to see if mine's having an issue or it's just a typical 3 pot 1.0 engine's power.

I notice mine most at 1st gear, turning right on a light hill start - I feel like I'm revving alot without the nip forward when traffic is clear. Not any much problem around round about but I'm generally in and out without much need for nip.

When you guys mention the lack of power when accelerating, can anyone explain further to that effect? Mine is a 2012 '12 plate. I changed down from a nippy 1.4 Renault to a 1.0 and I'm trying to see if mine's having an issue or it's just a typical 3 pot 1.0 engine's power.

I notice mine most at 1st gear, turning right on a light hill start - I feel like I'm revving alot without the nip forward when traffic is clear. Not any much problem around round about but I'm generally in and out without much need for nip.

Lack of acceleration is usually due to the EGR problem but in your case, yours will be fine as its a later model :)

The IQ has a much different bite point than other cars I've certainly driven - so don't worry. When in 1st gear as described, you will have to rev it a bit when pulling out from a junction yes, as it will just stall. My partner toke a very long time to get used to this and she had paddys all the time :oops:

For example: There is a very steep hill just along the road from me, where there is a junction on flat and a hill to your right. When i pull away and change into 2nd at a modest 3,000 revs, the car will struggle serverly up the hill. I usually therefore change at 4-5k on that one particular hill as the car will just bog down. I'm guessing it's due to the fact the gear ratios are quite wide in the IQ.

So don't worry about the whole over revving at junctions, the IQ is a different drive from many others, especially the clutch biting point which does seem like your burning your clutch sometimes, but it's just the way it drives. I owned a VW Polo 9N3 prior to the IQ and the engine sound was even more noiser. It was a 3 cylinder, like the IQ but felt really loud when pressing on but it's just the nature of the 3 pot engines. The IQ seems much more refined in terms with the noise and even when popping the bonnet when the engine is on, it doesn't seem a loud 3 pot.

Hope that helps :D

Thanks Aaron, least I know I'm not the town fool that rev around hilly turnings, it's the car's bite point :P

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Yeah! Hoorah! Hot-diggity Dog! Yessir! Yeah-man! Howz-about-that-then guys an' gals? Oops, last one isn't politically correct anymore is it? No more shall I say, "Jewellery Jewellery, Jingle Jangle," actually, maybe he meant something else by that? Back on topic...

The little blighter passed the MOT yesterday, no problems. I did notice on their usual free safety check they run at the dealers, that when they examine the tyres they noted down how many mm tread there is on each wheel. The fronts are 1mm less than those on the rear, so a swap around is gonna happen sooner rather than later, try and keep them as even as possible.

:thumbsup::yahoo: :lol2: :toast::cheers::clap::driving: