Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Project Tess

aaronfife

Here is a thread on my IQ build.

Bought her in May 2012 with only 11k on the clock, standard with no mods. My partner came up the name 'Tess' as it looks a tad more 'girly' than our last car 'Vickor' :rolleyes:

578464_394445680588245_440315851_n_zps7177f416.jpg

After driving it for a few weeks, unfortunately we did notice a few problems. Firstly, it was massively different to our last car - a Volkswagen Polo 9N3. Even though it was great to drive, great on fuel & knocked our insurance down another £120, we decided to get some new uprated springs for her. The ride before wasn't great. It had massive bodyroll and just wasn't driving as well as our last car.

SO.....

May 2012

Off with the struts and pretty much everything else....

2012-05-21141246_zpsf5177164.jpg

Old & new

2012-05-21142755_zps2f73cad8.jpg

And after. Perfect height and actually looks standard to the untrained eye :cheers:

After_zps5be0a55d.jpg

Back at home

2012-09-03121237.jpg

Things started developing rather fast after this, which was only a good thing. Next up was to make a armrest. If anyone is thinking about just buying one - it won't fit. I bought a universal one off the popular online bargain market and hear is what I came up with.....

1x Universal armrest

1x IKEA storage box

1x Black cushion cover

+ a few screws and sticky pads.

Toke me 3 hours to plan it out and finish it. Unfortunately I've only got the one picture but if any of you are interested in making one, feel free to ask for more. Here her is...

2012-09-20140134_zpseb87b447.jpg

July 2012

After a Saturday night in, online browsing I bought these LED sidelights...

sidelights_zpsc17f261d.jpg

Then, my bro suggested that we attempt to fit some DRLs. Well it toke ages to be honest, after buying them, getting the correct harness and then getting around to fitting them, I had to look on here for advice. A few days later and some very useful help by a few club members......

IQDRLs.jpg

2012-07-15171253.jpg

IQDRLsII.jpg

Very pleased I was :clap:

They now automatically switch off when the sidelights or main lights come on and vise versa. They aren't as bright as some, but do the job well!

Next up was to get all the warranty jobs fixed and out the way as it was to expire very soon. After browsing on here I decided to book her in to get the new EGR valve problem sorted.

This certainly didn't go smoothly. First up was the rudest salesmen I have ever encountered. Secondly they refused to believe there was a problem & lastly toke our car from us after we booked it in and toke it to pieces. This mean't I was off work for 2 days at very short notice :hammer:

In the end, it got done with a few other related problems getting repaired and renewed.

Old Valve.....

2012-05-29160306.jpg

New Valve....

2012-06-11160348.jpg

2012-06-11160356.jpg

August 2012

Another busy month this was, with more 'improvements' being made. Put the car in the garage and started taking both front wheels off to get behind the wheels polished and sealed, along with the whole suspension and arches being de-tarred and sealed. This proved to be a huge job, very messy and very time consuming!! :no:

While I was at it, I found some Hammerite Hammered grey paint in the shed, so gave the brake calipers a coat or two of paint. This seemed to freshen them up and prevent them rusting over the winter.

Few pictures of this work....

Before

2012-09-20115951_zpsf12a11d2.jpg

After2012-09-20123756_zps5305309c.jpg

Before

2012-09-20110612_zpsb133f672.jpg

After

2012-09-20113927_zpscf6e7976.jpg

Greased at the joints and control arms whilst i was there and was happy at that for now.

September 2012

This month I had been saving for a correction detail. Safe to say i was excited! I used to be a ex detailer myself but needed a machine polish and get the paintwork sealed for the harsh winter that lies ahead. If anyone would like to know what I used, just ask. :ph34r:

A few shots of my and my friends work....

2012-09-20104636_zps51ab2a13.jpg

2012-09-20104621_zps8ed45f71.jpg

2012-09-20104551_zpsfd631c10.jpg

2012-05-19172212-1.jpg

2012-05-19172216.jpg

2012-05-19172312.jpg

So that's it for now, hope you folks enjoyed the thread and if there's anything you want to know or comment, please do. More will come I'm very sure, but this might be the last of it until winter is here :P

If you happen topass me (as I know theres a few fifers here) give us a flash :D

Aaron

Looking good Aaron.

Glad the springs worked well for you, having lived with my Eibach springs now for a month or so I'm pretty pleased too. It does handle better, look better and I've not had any problems yet with ground clearance.

Interested in a better pic of the armrest if you can get one. Something I've been thinking about for a while now so good to see other solutions. :)

Craig.

I had to take the front rubber guards off as the speedramps here as stupidly big. Might mod them in the future to fit better.

I'll try take a few snaps tomorrow or at the weekend of the armrest as it's been raining non-stop :boat:

I'm very pleased too with the Eibach ProKit. It could be a bit stiffer but the dampers will be next years job to improve the rebound to the springs. I've had no problems with them and now am considering binning or selling the standard set

Here's a few quick pictures of my armrest. The pillow case fabric is coming away as we had a lot of wood (believe it or not) in the car last few weeks. The box has 4 drilled holes I put into it them put 4 screws and 4 nuts to secure the box to the armrest feet. It's a perfect height now as the standard armrest was far far to low for the IQ. All in all it cost £20 for the armrest, £2 for a black pillow case and £1 for the small box. Screws I had in the shed :lol:

2012-09-20161155_zps2cabc0f4.jpg

2012-09-20161108_zps2ce1d232.jpg

2012-09-20161133_zpsf46ee348.jpg

Looking good there Aaron, what were the LEDs you got for the side lights? They look a good improvement.

Speaking of warranty, Got a letter from MR T saying (with ref to our Verso) that the extended warranty is coming to an end and did we want to bring it in to check to do any of the jobs that might need doing before it runs out!!

david

Thanks folks :)

David - I really wished my local dealer was that nice. Had to go in today to get a new wheel lug nut as I over tightened one and snap... gutted. Now the drive to work with 3 bolts :oops:

• 1 month later...

Well, safe to say it's been a very sad weekend. Been having discussions with the missus all last week and only Friday night we came to the agreement the IQ has to go :(

We need 2 cars again for work commitments and therefore had to part exchange the IQ today (After travelling 300miles all weekend to find a good car for her.) We got a Clio 1.2 on a 54 plate so shes happy with that. i'm getting cash for the same amount to go and buy a decent car next week after she picks it up and gets the cash-back.

Gutted but the IQ just isn't practical anymore. It's done 12,000 miles with us and we've only had it for 6 months!! We got a good firm trade-in so can't complain.

Just like to say a big thanks to David, Craig, Taz, Sally, George and all the other great people that have helped me with any problems or ideas we've all shared along the way. Great bunch of people on here and great feedback and advice so thanks folks :)

Sad news indeed Aaron. Necessity is a bee-atch sometimes, and although the mpg is great, especially for you at almost 63mpg! If it's not practical, then it aint. I hope I never have to make the decision. I'm sure it would feel like getting rid of one of my two dogs as they are too expensive to have anymore.

:crybaby:

No, no, no... not getting rid of any of my dogs, the car would go first Aaron. I meant it would be as sad for me to have to get rid of one of my dogs as it may be for you getting rid of your iQ. That ain't never going to happen, those dogs are more safe than the car is.

Edited by Guest

Sad news indeed Aaron. Necessity is a bee-atch sometimes, and although the mpg is great, especially for you at almost 63mpg! If it's not practical, then it aint. I hope I never have to make the decision. I'm sure it would feel like getting rid of one of my two dogs as they are too expensive to have anymore.

:crybaby:

That's really sadnews too about your dogs:( I know how attached you get to them and certainly the other way around too.

Well it's served us well, even though the missus hated the way it drove when cold, I'll miss it. Only had it 6 months as well!

Always sad to see someone leaving, but we need to remember that there is normally a bigger picture in play.

Good luck

Fish

Always sad to see someone leaving, but we need to remember that there is normally a bigger picture in play.

Good luck

Fish

Cheers Dan, just 2 days left of her :(

Sorry to here it Aaron, I hope you settle in with your next car as good as you did with the iQ. Good Luck.

Sorry to here it Aaron, I hope you settle in with your next car as good as you did with the iQ. Good Luck.

Thanks Mark :D