Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Fallen After 1 Week On Yaris 1.4, 5Dr, 2007 Reg, Why?

apples69

Just bought a yaris 1.4d, 5d on 2007, the day I bought the car i took it on the motorway and was getting around 62mpg, !Removed! hell i thought.

Well after I got the car serviced - just oil change, air, fuel filter than mpg on motorway has dropped to around 45mpg - a massive drop of 20 miles

I do 32psi on all the tyres, whereas when I bought the car the front tyres were 29psi and the rear 27psi, could that be the cause?

what is a good diesil to use?

It could be that the wrong grade of oil has been used.....Not too sure what is specified for the 1.4 Diesel, but I am sure that there will be someone along with the info

Use of the correct oil is vital to achieve good fuel consumption :)

The 32 tyre pressure is about right but check the label in the glove compartment or the detail in the handbook

when i was getting 61mpg on motorway i was using different fuel when i put a £10 in the car when i bought it coming home, i think it was Shell but not sure, then i change to morrisons and the mpg has dropped like a brick

when i was getting 61mpg on motorway i was using different fuel when i put a £10 in the car when i bought it coming home, i think it was shell but not sure, then i change to morrisons and the mpg has dropped like a brick

Every time you put fuel in the tank the mpg computer resets itself so depending on what type of driving you do after that then the mpg will give different results. If you fill up and go straight to motorway driving the the mpg will be over 60mpg but if you just do urban driving it may well be in the 40's to 50's mpg.

Pete.

The oil garde is 5-30 Semi synthetic..

My Mark1 does 62+ on motorways and about 55 round town. Averages 57.

But on cold days it will fall by 5-10mpg due to cold starts and longer warmup.

The specced tps for our 58 plate 1.4D are 35 front, 32 rear. That's for the OEM tyres.

Don't rely on the trip computer for the consumption figures either. The most accurate m.p.g. check is by brimming the fuel tank, zero a trip meter then next time you brim the tank note how much has been added (convert to gallons if required by dividing litre volume by 4.54) and divide by the trip reading. Should be more accurate if you wait until the tank drop to around a quarter full or less.

so basically fill the tank up and then let it go to reserve and then fill back up?

is Shell better diesil than supermarkert fuel

Don't rely on the trip computer for the consumption figures either. The most accurate m.p.g. check is by brimming the fuel tank, zero a trip meter then next time you brim the tank note how much has been added (convert to gallons if required by dividing litre volume by 4.54) and divide by the trip reading. Should be more accurate if you wait until the tank drop to around a quarter full or less.

It's up to you how far the tank level goes but I personally fill up at around a quarter. But yes, that's the idea. Try it for a few fills too.

There are various opinions on supermarket fuels versus "branded". I'm one of the never, if possible, use supermarket stuff! I mostly use Shell.

Get those tyres up to 35psi front and 32psi rear. :)

I've got the tryres front and back at 32psi all around, going to try Shell diesil today and see how that does for mpg,

i think having all tryes at 35psi is a bit too high?

It's up to you how far the tank level goes but I personally fill up at around a quarter. But yes, that's the idea. Try it for a few fills too.

There are various opinions on supermarket fuels versus "branded". I'm one of the never, if possible, use supermarket stuff! I mostly use Shell.

Get those tyres up to 35psi front and 32psi rear. :)

i think having all tryes at 35psi is a bit too high?

Nobody said put them all at 35. The handbook for my 58 plate 1.4D says 35 front (the heavy end) and 32 rear and I'd think yours will be the same (assuming you have standard tyres on it).

Have you actually bothered to look in the handbook?

I hope that you DID check the handbook........(AS I SUGGESTED IN POST NO2 OF THIS TOPIC)

The old saying....You can lead a horse to water.....but you can't make it drink....Springs to mind :(

I filled the car up with Shell diesil cost me £55, but the strange thing is the trip computer when i filled up said i could get only

366 miles range on a full tank and the counter is going down as a drive, what gone wrong, i'm worried now

i thought you could get 500 miles on a 1.4d, but my trip computer is showing the range as only 366

What is says when you fill up will depend on the recent calculated mpg. This then updates as it gets fresh estimates.

The 'range' shown is the estimated distance until empty/fill-up, so obviously it will go down as you drive. Have you read the handbook yet? It's got some useful info in it.

Depending on who drove it to the filling station ours will give a 'full' range anything from your sort of reading to just over 400. Never much more. We get 50mpg (wife) to 55 (me) from ours as a rule. Don't know where your 500 miles came from. If from publicity stuff you can forget it in real use. And don't get hung up on the trip computer info - it's not hugely accurate and is obviously stressing you out. Just leave it on temperature :)