Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice On Petrol Or Diesel Avensis

jabalczar

I'm in the market for an Avensis. It will probably be a 57/58 plate and purchased from the main dealers. Looking to spend £6-7000.

I've seen a number of 2.2 D-4D's with around 50 - 60K on the clock.

For the same price I could get a newer / less mileage 1.8 petrol.

I'm seriously considering the petrol. I'm wondering if the petrol is more reliable long-term (i.e. the Japanese seem to know how to make a good petrol engine), as a lot of modern diesels across manufactuers seem to have reliability issues (Volkswagen - oil pump etc).

And there is the head gasket issue on the 2.2 D-4D.

Then factor in the cost of higher diesel servicing and repairs, and the slight difference in fuel cost (plus the extra purchase cost of a diesel car.

The quoted mpg for the 1.8 vs 2.2 D-4D is 39 mpg versus 47 mpg. So not a massive difference.

I probably do 60 / 40 in town driving against motorway driving.

Any thoughts? Especially on whether the real world 1.8 mpg is accurate, and on the reliability of the 1.8. I probably plan to keep the car for ten years, and I do look after them.

Thanks.

How many miles a year do you do?

If it's under ~15k I would probably go petrol especially if intending to keep for 10 years.

& welcome to TOC :)

Hi and welcome to the club.

It is accepted that you need to be doing at least 10000k a year for a modern diesel to be worth while.

A petrol engine will need less maintanance than a modern diesel.

After owning diesels for over 25 years,and most of them being the bullet proof indirect injection engines

I asked myself the same question of what engine to have. i did not want a Turbo,Duel mass flywheel,a Egr,a Cambelt, A Dpf. these i consider weak points in an engine. And as i do under 4000k a year then i had to go for a petrol.

The vvti i have meets my wishes. And you have to remember that diesel cost more than petrol.

THe consumption of my auris is not that much more than the 2.2. but not the same performance,which suits me fine at my age, though i have my mad moments.

As to fuel consumption of the 1.8,thats going to depend on how you drive and where you drive.

also if the car has a driver only in it or always has a passenger(s) which will make a differece.

Thank you for the replies. This will be my first Toyota, though I've driven them as rentals. I'm coming from an Audi 80 1.9 tdi 1994. It lasted me 18 years until it went to the scrap a few days ago. My first thought was to get another diesel but they don't seem as reliable as the older ones.

I like to buy a car, look after it, then drive it until it dies, however many years that is.

I do about 12 000 miles a year. I'm willing to take a bit of hit on fuel consumption so long as I can hit 40mpg on a motorway run, and the engine is reliable long term.

modern diesels aren't as reliable as old ones because there is a lot more to go wrong on them & when things do go they tend to be £1k+ fixes.

If you are doing high mileages (so significant fuel savings) & running in warranty that's not a problem, if you are wanting to run several years out of warranty for least outlay it potentially is.

40MPG on a motorway run shouldn't be a problem for a 1.8 petrol & I imagine that you can find an early T27 for your budget.

My two avensis' fuel consumption

1.8 vvti manaul - mid to high 30's mpg at 70mph on motorways and around town, and up to 45 - 50+ mpg driving very nice.

1.8 vvti auto - same on motorways and around town, max 41mpg taking it easy.

the auto is like driving a pair of slippers and a pipe - so peaceful. both not the fastest cars at low revs but sit up and notice if you boot it on. obviously the auto is better in that respect with kickdown.