Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tns510 - Usb Sounds Awful!

Grubby

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help with this. Bought a 2011 Avensis a couple of months ago and was pleasantly surprised on the test drive when I noticed a USB socket in the TNS510 unit.

I didn’t get chance to test it there and then but pretty much the first thing I did when I got the car was to plug a USB stick in. Then another few as the ‘popping’ problem wouldn’t go away. I believe it’s because the track is stopping for a split second and then starting again – almost as if the processor can’t handle it? It also sounds very bass heavy. If I connect my phone via BT or the aux cable it’s like a different stereo – brilliant!

I know it’s only playing MP3’s and they’re hardly audiophile quality but they’re all 256k or above. The CD player isn’t much better – I have to have the treble turned up full and the bass as low as it’ll go. The louder it goes the worse it gets.

Maybe I’ve answered my own question and should rip at 128k.

I know there’s more in life to worry about – but is it just me?!!

Many thanks in advance… J

If its still under warranty I'd take it back to the dealer and have a word with them...

I have the same unit and find that whatever is playing has too much bass at the default setting. Have also altered bass/ treble accordingly but not as extremely as you. I have 128k MP3 tracks on the USB and find them OK with same settings as the radio is now set too. Have noticed that the louder the system plays at the bass increases more. It seems that is the way the system is set up.

Many thanks for your replies.

I've tried ripping a CD at both 60k & 320k - the 60k sounded much better in terms of tone - just can't get rid of the popping.

I can see the dealer telling me it's all in my head... Really didn't want to have to Shell out for an iPod :dontgetit:

From the description mentioned above - MP3 sounding poor, skipping and popping - it sounds like the MP3 circuit in the head unit has restricted bit-rate.

I use a connects2 MP3 USB adapter with my Sony head unit, and I have to admit that I have never ripped above 128k.

Some ripping software I have used are set to that limit.

If the manual is supplied, it may show the limits of the USB: bit-rate, maximum size of the memory, type of files (MP3, WMA), and the maximum number of folders.

Once you know these limits, you should be okay.

I have a 2010 Avensis with the TNS510 unit and I use a 16GB Sandisk USB stick, containing 56 albums. Almost all tracks are 256kbps and I have no problems with sound quality, whether I'm listening to classical music or drum and bass (although I agree that, by default, it is set up rather bass-heavy - I think this is how US consumers like it).

LIstening to bluetooth streaming, the sound is broadly comparable, but slightly 'brighter' sounding, using the same source mp3 files. Also, CDs sound great.

I don't know what would account for the difference between your unit and mine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links