Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Else Have Issues With Faulty Ecm Gearbox / Transmission (In Rav

HB2Go

Hello everyone! Fairly new here. But great site! :euro:

We have a Rav4 V6 which had been going fine until now. One day recently whilst driving, we had a problem. The transmission suddenly started locking up and making clunking sounds, bunny-hopping. It lost drive and sounded like it couldn’t engage the gears. It was really quite worrisome.

We stopped almost immediately and had it towed. A mechanic later told us the clutch plates were fried from working against each other, which damaged the gearbox and that it was all caused by a faulty ECM. But then we were given conflicting information by other people.

I’ve been trying to find anyone else who may have had this problem – specifically in the V6 Rav4’s (2006-present). I really wanted to know if this has been an issue for others, as I have only been able to find info for similar things happening in the earlier 4-cylinder models (2001-2003). I would really like info on how it happened to you (circumstances, how old was the car etc.) and how you had it resolved/fixed. Also if it recurred.

We have 2008 model, but if anyone with a V6 has experienced this, I’d love to hear from you. Or if you have links to this issue anywhere else that you know of, please feel free to redirect me to them. I have searched with filters and looked up TSB’s elsewhere, but not really found much, yet am told others have experienced this. So I’m trying to get it resolved and find out a little more. Any help is appreciated :flowers:

Welcome to the club.

You are always welcome to talk to us here but as your vehicle is a V6 it is probably better posed to the US club which you can follow on this link;

http://rav4world.com/forums/index.php

Post in the general or mechanical section of the 4.3 forum. They will have lots of advice for your model there.

Keep in touch with us.

I recall that problems with RAV auto boxes in the USA were numerous.