Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct Tyre Size

avensisd4d786

i have recently bought a 2004 avensis t spirit, it has 225 45 17 tyres on when i go to buy them or in the manual it says they should be 215 45 17, why would the previous owner change the tyre size on standard alloys, are 225 45 17 more common ie cheaper to buy? I could text him don't really want too & ask him why.

My guess would be because they are wider the previous owner thought they looked 'phat' and a bit more cool. I'd be changing to the standard size - I think there is a sticker on the passenger door detailing the correct sizes and pressures.

More selection of 225/45/17 than 215/45/17, factory spec is the latter and give the correct rolling radius so speedo etc will be right. 225/45/17 will still be ok for the rim as they go on anything from a 7" inch wide to an 8" inch wide with out problems

Alex

• 1 year later...

I need some new tyres too.

Currently running on 215/45/17 but the guys at the tyre shop were convinced 225/45/17 would be fine as long as they're the same on both sides. Dnt know whether to trust or not. I cant imagine a lil difference like that making much difference to the suspension or streering.

it's only a +1.44% difference in rolling radius. Will slightly decrease acceleration & the wider contact patch will slightly increase fuel consumption but I doubt that you would actually notice either.

However, if it's a deviation from oem size your insurance company may consider it a notifiable modification.

I am still running 225 45 17, this size is more common and have a wider range of tyres to choose from.

just make sure you have the same tyre size on the same axle.

the front ones do not catch on anything if that it was your asking.

I have seen some avensis with 205/45/17.

10mm either way is not going to make much difference and I doubt the insurer would worry about the 225. The main thing is to check that the speed and load ratings are at least the same or better than the OEM ratings.

Thanks guys for the help.

I was thinking of fitting 215/50/17 as a wider sidewall would soften the ride a little.

The only problem with that is my speedo would be out of sync and also the mileage counter.

Best not bother with that.

The correct size for the later facelift T25 Avensis say 2005> is 215/50/17.

Pete.

Just got an amazing price. 215/45/17 brand new tyres from a budget range £50 each.

but are they any good?

some of the tests of cheap tyres show shocking perfomance.

If Im honest I dnt know which ones they are.

Its a friend of mine who owns the tyre shop. He said he'll have to order them in so Ill find out on Thursday.

Just got an amazing price. 215/45/17 brand new tyres from a budget range £50 each.

Anything with an "amazing" price tag is likely to be shocking!

Save up a bit more and put something decent on, even a decent budget tyre

Remember the only thing that keeps you in contact with the road and out of a ditch are the four tyres :eek:

• Like 1

Anything with an "amazing" price tag is likely to be shocking!

Save up a bit more and put something decent on, even a decent budget tyre

Remember the only thing that keeps you in contact with the road and out of a ditch are the four tyres :eek:

Good point. I did some shopping around and it seems £60 is an average price for the tyres I need. So its only a friendly £10 off.

Also I was wondering if you could help me out with something else. Whats the load bearing and speed rating I need to have for my tyres? I think I read somewhere on here that I need 88V but the ones on the car at the moment are 91W. Does that mean they're better tyres? Or doesn't it matter much. My car is a 2004 2.0d4d t spirit if that helps.

If you are going for a lower priced tyre then you won't go wrong with Kumho Ecsta LE Sport LE39 and these are Y rated (186mph) tyres, I have them and they are good in the wet and dry also wearing well.

Pete.

• Like 1

The higher the number and letter the better the tyre in terms of load and speed rating.

I know nothing about your particular model, the factory fit for my 2010 Tourer is 215-55 R17. 94W. I replaced my tyres a short time ago and as there was a shortage of what I wanted at the time I opted to have tyres with a 98 load rating as the 94's were not available the size and speed ratings are the same though.

The correct size and rating is on a sticker fixed to the drivers door pillar, if not it will be in the handbook. If you don't have either then contact you local friendly Toyota dealer. I would strongly advise not to go lower than the recommended factory fit ratings. Going higher is not a problem but a higher load rating may mean slightly less give in the sidewall so they may feel a little harder on the ride.

• Like 2

The higher the number and letter the better the tyre in terms of load and speed rating.

I know nothing about your particular model, the factory fit for my 2010 Tourer is 215-55 R17. 94W. I replaced my tyres a short time ago and as there was a shortage of what I wanted at the time I opted to have tyres with a 98 load rating as the 94's were not available the size and speed ratings are the same though.

The correct size and rating is on a sticker fixed to the drivers door pillar, if not it will be in the handbook. If you don't have either then contact you local friendly Toyota dealer. I would strongly advise not to go lower than the recommended factory fit ratings. Going higher is not a problem but a higher load rating may mean slightly less give in the sidewall so they may feel a little harder on the ride.

Hi Whitewagon.

Do you (or anyone else) know what tyre Toyota fitted to the 2010 Tourer out of the factory?

Also i'm open to any tyre recommendations in and around the £100 mark. I've got 3 kids in the back, and enough accidents, from my early driving days, under my belt, to appreciate the sense of fitting something pretty good.

Interestingly my 2010 TR was an ex Toyota company vehicle. They fitted the wrong tyres as it came to me with 215-50 R17's on it. This makes the speedo read 70mph when i'm only doing 65.5mph. And they do look noticeably smaller on a fairly big bodied car.

Also, on purchase, second hand, my fathers Avensis came with 215-50 R17's on the front and 215-55 R17's on the back. Its still this way.

It would seem that 215-55 R17's are a fairly oddball size. Tyre shops are possibly just fitting the closest size they stock.

Cheers

oem tyre specs change according to car spec. (e.g. engine, weight, whether it's an economy model or sports/upmarket).

as mentioned already what yours came with ex-factory should be on a sticker in the driver's door jamb.

I know that at one point the standard Avensis T27 tyre size for 17" wheels was 215/55/17 but now it's 225/50/17.

The difference between 215/55/17 & 215/50/17 is about 3.3%. The speedo over reading is perfectly normal (& not just for Toyota) - they allow for speedo tolerance but as it's illegal for it to under read they err on the side of it over reading

Hi Sean,

Mine was also an ex Toyota car, it was one of a batch of identical models, except for colour, released by Toyota to the dealers. They were all just over a year old with less than 12000 miles covered. The ones I looked at were all TR spec with the CVT box. All were fitted with 215-55-17 94W tyres of two makes, Bridgestone Turanza and GoodYear Excellence. On the test drives I did the Goodyears were far quieter than the Bridgestones. We wanted a white car so we were stuck with the Bridgestones. They only did round 16000 miles before needing replacement. I now have Goodyear Efficientgrips fitted. They are definitely quieter than the Bridgestones were but not as quiet as the Goodyear Excellence. Most car manufacturers will fit tyres from any tyre manufacturer that have the required size and give them the best deal so it's not that important to stick with the same tyre as long as the size and ratings are the same.

Having been involved in the examination of vehicles following accidents in my past there is no way I would fit or recommend the fitting of budget tyres to any car. I'm sure many people have fitted them and not had any problems but for the sake of of a few pounds I put more value on the safety of myself and family.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

I've been highly recommended fitting Uniroyal Rainsport 3's. These are a unidirectional and asymmetric tyre. They are well priced and well reviewed. I'm considering them, but one concern I have is the lack of ability to rotate side to side will reduce the overall life of these tyres.

Anyone ever consider All Season tyres?

Cheers

my 2006 t180 has 225 * 45*17 and when new the speedo was 3% faster than the sat nav. Now 5% as the tyres have less tread . Hope that helps. ps always buy quality tyres (try tyrereview.co.uk ).

Thanks guys.

I've been highly recommended fitting Uniroyal Rainsport 3's. These are a unidirectional and asymmetric tyre. They are well priced and well reviewed. I'm considering them, but one concern I have is the lack of ability to rotate side to side will reduce the overall life of these tyres.

Anyone ever consider All Season tyres?

Cheers

Uniroyal are a well known manufacturer and I have used them in the past without a problem. Yes you are limited to keeping unidirectional tyres on one side of the car but, in theory at least, they should be better than a similar bidirectional tyre as the tread is designed to grip in that one direction only.

I have never used All Season or Winter tyres personally. I would only consider either if I lived and regularly drove in conditions that warranted either. Fortunately for us there is no law that says winter tyres have to be used unlike some European countries. I'm sure in areas that have prolonged spells,of snow, ice and very low temperatures then winter tyres are good but for a few weeks each year they seem to me to be unnecessary.

Why is it that saving a few pounds seems to be a good deal when the only thing that connects you with the road is your tyre, last year I had my alloys refurbished and the company lent me a set of rims and tyres.

The worst 5 days I have had while driving a car, in the dry not good but in the rain the car was nearly undrivable, they were branded Tiger and I do believe the only legal way to commit suicide.

Save a trip to the repair shop or grave yard and fit at least half decent tyres that will stop you when you need them to, I drive on Goodyear Asymmetrical 2 and they give you confidence in your ability to stop.

Remember that small hand print sized area is the only thing between you and an accident.

Thanks guys.

The Uniroyal recommendation came from a major tyre retailer in Belfast. I was getting quotes on the normal big name brands and I told him i didn't want a cheap tyre as the safety of my family was the highest priority. I asked him for a recommendation and he told me the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's were the only tyre he'd put on his cars. He said he could make more money of me selling me the something like the Goodyear Asymmetrical 2's, I originally started getting a quote on, but as he understands it, the Uniroyal are superior.

I had never even heard of Uniroyal.

Regarding the All-Season or Winter Tyres, I was reading the brochures at the tyre dealer. It stated that winter tyres provide superior grip, to summer tyres, when surface temperatures dip below 7 C. The rubber in Summer tyres becomes stiffer when cold, hence the winter tyres provide benefit for a good few months over winter, even when there is no snow or ice. I'll be finalising quotes this week and will ask more regarding this point.

Cheers