Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Correct Tyre Size

avensisd4d786

Uniroyal started out in America and was also allied to the BFGoodrich company. Most of the Uniroyal company was purchased by Michelin in the 1990's I believe. Michelin and Bridgestone are the two major tyre manufacturers in the world and between them own or have interests in a lot of the other brands you see on offer.

You can see reviews of Uniroyal tyres here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/

There are other tyre tests and review sites out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the help.

I was thinking of fitting 215/50/17 as a wider sidewall would soften the ride a little.

The only problem with that is my speedo would be out of sync and also the mileage counter.

Best not bother with that.

As the difference between 215/45-17 and 215/50-17 is only 3,4%, and most speedometers show more than 3,4% too high speed, it is likely that your speedometer and mileage will be less wrong than with standard tires. I am considering going from 195/60-15 to 205/60-15 to try to reduce the vibration from our very rough norwegian roads. My winter tyres are 195/65-15, as they are less expensive than the original size. I have not had any problems with clearance.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my Uniroyal Rain Sport 3's fitted yesterday. Haven't driven enough to assess them and most people say a tyre needs a little running in before performing optimally.

I will say that the 215 55 R 17s look way better on the car than the smaller 215 50 R 17s that were fitted. The 3 percent difference is visually noticeable. Initial impression is that first gear feels a little better on take-off. Better in that the slightly taller tyres allows the use of 1st gear a little longer, (based on engine rev).

Cheers

in theory the car should accelerate slightly better with the smaller rolling radius but the differences are so small that it probably won't be much (although you obviously notice a slight difference).

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone. 

Got a question. Can put a winter tyres 215/55/17? My one now are 215/50/17. Is the new tyre will fitt and drive normally? 

Thanks 

4 hours ago, Plamen Petrov said:

Hi everyone. 

Got a question. Can put a winter tyres 215/55/17? My one now are 215/50/17. Is the new tyre will fitt and drive normally? 

Thanks 

According to https://www.swanseatyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator/  the oem size tyres on your car are 205/55-16. According to https://tiresize.com/comparison/ the difference between 205/55-16 and 215/55-17 is 5.6%. I don't know what the UK authorities opinions on the matter are, but here in Norway it is not allowed to have tyres more than 5% different from the oem size.

9 hours ago, Plamen Petrov said:

Hi everyone. 

Thanks 

Hi,

As you are already already running 2.5% bigger tyres than stock, the even bigger winter tyres you spec are getting substantially above standard. At 5.7% bigger you will notice reduced acceleration and braking performance. Increased fuel consumption is also likely and your speedo is out of wack of course.  I would be surprised if they didn't fit though.

I have run similarly bigger tyres on vehicles in the past and each time felt a return to stock size was like a performance boost.

Anyone know the legal maximum increase allowed in the UK. It may simply be based on the tyre size options specified by the manufacturer.

Cheers

Need to check how the speedometer is affected - ie. Not under-read which is illegal.

o  my car manual says 215/50/17. It is a facelift one. So now I want to put 215/55/17. it says 3.3% differensce. Any opinions about driving. 

OK at 3.3% over stock, (and what you are used to), you will get a perceptible difference in performance. This is what I have experienced on my own vehicles at that increase.  It is not massive. You get used to it and forget about it after a while. You only really notice the change when switching back to your summer tyres. If your speedo is running true now, a 3.3% difference is not a big a deal as long you understand you don't have any headroom above your speedo reading. You'd be edging over 72mph at a 70 reading.

Plus they are winter tyres not permanent.

Last hire car I drove actually had snow tyres with the metal studs. The tyre size happened to be the same increase in side wall height, over the cars standard tyres, as you are proposing. I had nothing to compare it to so nothing to complain about.

Cheers.

• 9 months later...

I drive a Toyota Avensis 2007 model.. I think the previous user changed tire to a smaller 195/65/ 15.. It really gives me hell and my number always hit the floor anytime I enter pot holes.. Now a dealer said I could use 225/60/15 for the same car.. I want to know if its safe to use.. I don't want to trust the guy cos he's just a business man

8 minutes ago, DistilledwalexSmith said:

I drive a Toyota Avensis 2007 model.. I think the previous user changed tire to a smaller 195/65/ 15.. It really gives me hell and my number always hit the floor anytime I enter pot holes.. Now a dealer said I could use 225/60/15 for the same car.. I want to know if its safe to use.. I don't want to trust the guy cos he's just a business man

Unless we know more details on your car (diesel, engine size, spec) difficult to say which tyre would be suitable.

• 8 months later...

Please help me find the recommended tire size for an toyota avensis 2007 estate? Right now i have a 215 50 r17 91w..is this size suited for my car? Or is there other sizes better for the long haul? 

What does it say in your handbook?

Should have a sticker or equivalent giving tyre pressures somewhere on the car (try inside the driver's door opening on the B pillar) which will give an idea of the tyre size(s) for that car.

In that case, the chart is incomplete.  The tyre on my Avensis is 215/50/17 factory fitted.

• 4 months later...
On 3/18/2014 at 1:08 PM, My first toyota said:

I need some new tyres too.

Currently running on 215/45/17 but the guys at the tyre shop were convinced 225/45/17 would be fine as long as they're the same on both sides. Dnt know whether to trust or not. I cant imagine a lil difference like that making much difference to the suspension or streering.

11 hours ago, Bridgie said:

I answered your question in your other post. Your car is the later T27 model, made from 2009. What you quoted/queried is for the previous T25 model, so doesn't apply to you. There are 3 sizes fitted to the T27 (Mk3) models. 205/60R16 on 16" steel wheels, 215/55R17 on 17" alloys, and 225/45R18 on 18" alloy wheels. As I stated in my reply to your other post, read what's embossed stamped on the sidewall of the tyres on your car. Most models apart from the base and top spec, will be fitted with 215/55R17. That's the size fitted to my car, TR spec.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 2008 Avensis is running 215/50 R17's but I'm sure I've seen somewhere they should 45 profile. Have been fitting the wrong size or is the information I've seen wrong. It came 50 profiles when I bought the car so naturally carried on that line.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links