Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Taxing Issue

I decided to get my new tax disk early this year and so entered a local post office rather than do it online or by post, as I like to see the reaction of the 'post person' behind the counter. She got flustered and laughed, saying something to her 'colleague' on her right before handing over my documents and the FREE Tax Disk. Me likey.

The first time I did this, that would be last year, it was quite interesting because the lady concerned had never handed over a tax disk without receiving the extortionate fee decreed by HMG. And so I took great pleasure in informing her that the car is one of those Tax Free gems, called an iQ. She didn't know what I was talking about, not being interested in cars this is what happens. However, surely she must have been told the procedure about taxing such a vehicle? Nope, she hadn't received any instruction on it at all. I noticed that all the time I was explaining this to her, she had her hand out to take the money from the small pit in the counter like she normally did, only removing it when it dawned on her I wasn't pulling her leg. I pointed out the 99g/km on the V5C and explained that it was not a car that required a tax payment. The gentleman and lady behind me confirmed that to her, which appeared to cause a short spell of gob open fly catching.

No doubt soon enough HMG will wap a rediculous amount of tax on these much less polluting cars.

:arrgg-matey: <---- A HMG employee in the Tax Department, dressed for work.

Fantastic. I done mine online so now Im thinking next year I shall go into the local post office. Just to confuse them. Gives me great pleasure in mentioning when people ask about how much is the tax.

Damn ! I rather hoped they would just send me my new disc without me having to do anything .....

In all seriousness it is likely the co2 limit for tax exemption will be lowered at the next budget such that no petrol car will meet it

I guess that means we may have to pay 20 or 30 quid

Soap box moment. What do people think about 5 rated vehicles gaining access to the london congestion zone for free when the title of the name suggests congestion

David

oooooo dont get me started

Discounted or free parking in towns and cities for low co2 vehicles (particularly those 3m and under )

Anc whilst perched on my soap box why does someone who has a huge gas guzzling car get excemption from road and bridge tolls just cause they have a Blue Badge.

Damn ! I rather hoped they would just send me my new disc without me having to do anything .....

In all seriousness it is likely the co2 limit for tax exemption will be lowered at the next budget such that no petrol car will meet it

I guess that means we may have to pay 20 or 30 quid

That's what I've been thinking too. I mean, at £20 to £30 it isn't too bad for us 1.0l manual drivers, but even so, it shouldn't be going up at all; the greedy, tax robbing, B'stards!

Soap box moment. What do people think about 5 rated vehicles gaining access to the london congestion zone for free when the title of the name suggests congestion

David

Sorry David, what is a 5 rated vehicle? Is that the emmissions rating? Also, the word Congestion Zone is completely wrong, it has always been wrong. I don't ever drive into London, haven't been there for... well, a very long time. Last I can remember was when the film Aliens (1986 I think it was) came out as me and a mate were at Bisley for the shooting competition and took the train into 'town.' Although, having to use the tube a few times to catch or after flights did see me enter the city.

Back to the naming of the zone. Surely it should be called something that reflects its purpose- Rip Off Zone, or Fleecing Zone, or like the highwaymen of old used to say, Stand and Deliver Zone.

Yea 5 just shortened it. You see if the world was seriously looking at world resorces (sorry for upsetting the petrol heads) they just would stop allowing manufacture of RR Ferrari 4ltr saloons etc. Its just lip service always has. Like re-cycling. We get 3 different bags, the tower block up the road all goes in one big bin as before. London left alone gets to saturation then people keep away. Doesnt need a charge to do that. Put up a 1000 camera's then HAVE to charge to pay for them. Course if you didnt buy them in the first place....

David. Soap box finishef this month

I'm totally lost being from the US. We have the Department of Motor Vehicles, DMV for taking care of our auto registration, the fee paid every year for registering our cars with the State we live in. Our Post Office doesn't have any connection to the DMV.

Is the fee you are talking about have anything to do with registration or are you charged an additional fee over there every year?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla

In the UK, the Post Office was just someplace you could easily go and pay your 'Road Fund Duty/Tax'.

For decades, the amount of Duty/Tax was set on the vehicle.

You get a Reminder in the post,

you could go to the Vehicles Tax Office or Easier go to Bigger Post Offices which often were nearer you people.

Insurance certificate, Annual vehicle Inspection test certificate, & money paid, job done, you have a new 'Valid Tax Disc'.

A person looked and checked the details and dates & that was it.

Now they Swipe a Bar Code and its approved or not on the Computer and you get the 'new paper disc'

('They' have been taking things away from 'Post Offices' for years now, & we have lost many Post Offices due to Closures, which is not a good thing IMO.)

Now they want you to stop going to a 'Post Office,

Your vehicles 'Test' details & Insurance is in a Data Base, you go on-line,

Pay by credit card & get a 'charge' and pay, or Debit card & no 'charge', just pay.

New 'Disc' arrives in the Post.

Or, You can do it by Phone or Post.

Easy really.

But so is the trip to the Post Office if you live near one or maybe have no computer.

We can now get 'Exempt' road Tax for Cars Older than 1973, Disabled Drivers, Cars with Low Emissions,

**Looks like they are again talking, just today about changing things.

'They' now know there are too many vehicles with Low or No 'Road Fund Tax/Duty being paid.**

we will see.

george

The thing to remember is that they have only just come up to speed and the 21 century Taz. It used to be that the road fund tax, driving liscense, insurance were on different databases. Or none at all. So if the police stopped you, they would issue you with a form to take your documents to your nearest police station to check you had them and that they were valid. Now they have number plate reconnition and know who the keeper of the vehicle (doesnt have to be the same as the driver) and if the vehicle is taxed and has a valid M.O.T. Safety certificate. The police now set up along the road side and monitor cars going past and further down the road they pull over cars that get "flagged up" They have the power to arrest, impound the car and have it crushed. They catch criminals like this and illegal immigrants. In the UK you dont have to carry your driving license od any form of identification

David

Here in Portugal the iQ is not exempt from annual road tax, its 97€. Until August the only vehicles that were tax free were motorcycles up to 125cc, now even those are taxed. No doubt next year there will be a tax on shoe leather also!

I think road tax should be based on the size and weight of the car. The bigger heavier the car the more they wear out the road, as it is now it is an Emissions tax rather than a Road tax. I can definitely see them changing it, as George said above there are a lot more cars on the road with zero or very low road tax.

It's like how diesel always used to be cheaper than 4 star, but then their wasn't that many diesel cars about. But now diesel cars are a lot more popular it is now dearer than unleaded. Surely it didn't just become more expensive to refine diesel?

I think road tax should be based on the size and weight of the car. The bigger heavier the car the more they wear out the road, as it is now it is an Emissions tax rather than a Road tax. I can definitely see them changing it, as George said above there are a lot more cars on the road with zero or very low road tax.

It's like how diesel always used to be cheaper than 4 star, but then their wasn't that many diesel cars about. But now diesel cars are a lot more popular it is now dearer than unleaded. Surely it didn't just become more expensive to refine diesel?

I have always thought road tax should be added to the cost of fuel, rather than being paid separately. The more you use the roads, and the more fuel you use, the more you pay. It would also mean that foreign vehicles are paying tax for using our roads.

Thanks for the info guys. I had no idea you weren't required to carry ID in the UK.

I have always thought road tax should be added to the cost of fuel, rather than being paid separately. The more you use the roads, and the more fuel you use, the more you pay. It would also mean that foreign vehicles are paying tax for using our roads.

Idon't think it should. We bought the IQ because we were doing a lot of miles and always have done. Because of the free tax, cheaper insurance and less to fill the tank, it makes sense. I think as above, road tax should be based on the size and weight of the car, as there is some people who I know, drive a massive 4x4 and they don't have any children, therefore do not require a vehicle that size.

The IQ - puts out very little emissions, carries a small load and weight behind it and still feels like a hatchback to drive. We should reep the benefits of this as we 'thought before we bought' ;) Because we do a hell of a lot of miles, we went for the IQ because it's cheaper to run, therefore we go more daytrips at the weekend because it costs hardly anything to get to A to B and can park it anywhere (saving more money.)

I can see your point though as we are on the road more, but emissions should be the number 1 'cut downs' as larger vehicles pollute more.

Idon't think it should. We bought the IQ because we were doing a lot of miles and always have done. Because of the free tax, cheaper insurance and less to fill the tank, it makes sense. I think as above, road tax should be based on the size and weight of the car, as there is some people who I know, drive a massive 4x4 and they don't have any children, therefore do not require a vehicle that size.

The IQ - puts out very little emissions, carries a small load and weight behind it and still feels like a hatchback to drive. We should reep the benefits of this as we 'thought before we bought' ;) Because we do a hell of a lot of miles, we went for the IQ because it's cheaper to run, therefore we go more daytrips at the weekend because it costs hardly anything to get to A to B and can park it anywhere (saving more money.)

I can see your point though as we are on the road more, but emissions should be the number 1 'cut downs' as larger vehicles pollute more.

What you said.