Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Will Not Start

merseyman58

Hi,

I have a Toyota Avensis 1.8 GS 2001 plate with a petrol engine and this morning the car wouldn't start.

The symptoms are:

Turning the ignition switch ON the indicators for Doors, Battery, Oil, and Hand Brake illuminate and the ABS indicator comes of for a couple of seconds before going out. I cannot here any noise from the fan(s) in the engine compartment but I can't remember if this is normal?

When I advance the ignition switch the starter motor turns the engine over but it does not 'fire'. I've left the car alone for a few hours incase the carbs are flooded but no joy.

The Battery is only 12 months old and the green neon indicates that it is healthy. I checked the fuse and relay compartment but all looks good, apart from the fact I saw a pile of ants crawling around in there and I'm wondering if they could have caused any damage?

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks

Ken

what about pump unit in the tank? does it work when cranked the engine?

check with respective fuse.

regards

Hi -

Thanks for replying. I checked all the fuses which I thought may cause the problem as per page 309 of the owners manual but all are OK. I'm thinking that it could be a problem with a relay switch but I don't know which one or how I can test it. Looks like I'll have to get it towed to a garage and see what they can come up with.

thanks again,

Ken

Mechanic reckons it's the fuel pump and Toyota want 700 Euro's just to supply one, so I'm looking on e-bay.........