Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upto Which Year Did Belt Come In 2.0 D4D Rather Than Chain

avensisd4d786

ive been told its upto 2006 just want to be sure,

if your wanting to take a car upto high mileage ie for taxi drivers would one would be best car with belt or chain.

chain needs changed less often so cheaper to run over extended mileage

if your wanting to take a car upto high mileage ie for taxi drivers would one would be best car with belt or chain.

The Avensis D4D T25 2003-2005 has a cam belt and a cast iron block, the Avensis D4D T25 2005/6 'ish has a chain cam and an all alloy engine.The earlier ones do need the belt changing but this engine is more reliable especially after 2004 when the oil burning problems were sorted out. If you get the later one you MAY end up with a head gasket problem which could cost you thousands of pounds to fix. If I were getting an Avensis as a taxi I would buy an early 2005 that has had a cambelt fitted or get one fitted and you will have a car that should do you 250k miles without to much trouble, just my opinion.

Regards Pete.

The Avensis D4D T25 2003-2005 has a cam belt and a cast iron block, the Avensis D4D T25 2005/6 'ish has a chain cam and an all alloy engine.The earlier ones do need the belt changing but this engine is more reliable especially after 2004 when the oil burning problems were sorted out. If you get the later one you MAY end up with a head gasket problem which could cost you thousands of pounds to fix. If I were getting an Avensis as a taxi I would buy an early 2005 that has had a cambelt fitted or get one fitted and you will have a car that should do you 250k miles without to much trouble, just my opinion.

Regards Pete.

Thank you for your opinion, its for a friend that's the year I recommended to him but just wanted to hear from fellow Toyota owners. for example would the 2006 with the belt fitted have the head gasket problem?

also t-spiritpete which one do you think would be better off as a taxi 2.0 or 2.2

also t-spiritpete which one do you think would be better off as a taxi 2.0 or 2.2

Hello again,

I don't think you will find many 2006 cars with a cam belt unless it was stood at a dealers when new before being registered. Most taxis will be the 2.0 as members on here who are taxi owners will testify and of course all 2.2 150 will have a cam chain with the potential of head gasket failure, the 2.2d4d T180 is the worst choice of all to use as a taxi due to further problems with poor mpg, DPF and CAT problems as they are 100% not suited to town driving. It's a real shame they have these faults as both the 2.2 d4d 150 & the T180 are a lovely car to drive so I would stick with the 2005 2.0 D4D.

Again just my opinion .... Pete.

A so called Diesel Town car with dpf is not really a problem.

What is the problem is when the owners only drive about 2 miles a day...the car does not get up to temperature and can not fulfil the criteria for the ecu to carry out a regen.

A so called Diesel Town car with dpf is not really a problem.

What is the problem is when the owners only drive about 2 miles a day...the car does not get up to temperature and can not fulfil the criteria for the ecu to carry out a regen.

I respect your opinion but can the regen ever take place correctly around town in 15-30mph conditions. My mate who ran a T180 as a taxi would not agree with you on that point, if it wasn't under warranty at the time it would have cost him thousands of £££££. I have a friend with a Skoda Roomster diesel that's been back to the dealers so many times ..... they told him the only way to cure the problem is to take it down the motorway once a week to clear the crap out, he has and it's been fine since and the same applies to the Avensis with DPF. It seems to me that these new emission rules are crazy, pollute the atmosphere anywhere but in the city.

Regards Pete.