Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iphone Contact Sync With Prius

Sooty

Hi all,

Got my Prius on Friday and am very impressed with it.

BUT, I have an issue that I hope you very knowledgabe people can help me with.

I have paired my iPhone 3GS sucessfully, but I cannot for the life of me get the contacts to sync over.

The system (JBL with satnav) will let me induce a contact sync and them waits with a message saying to set the phone to send. I cannot find any way to do that.

Can anyone please help with any suggestions or pointers for apps that may work.

Many thanks

Having been down this route, I'm 99% certain it's not going to happen. Apple have prevented it in their bluetooth implementation on the iPhone.

So you need to !Removed! about and get the contacts onto another phone temporarily and bluetooth them over from there, or a similar strategy.

I spent some time chasing this one and then realised that nobody ever rings me, never mind in the car, so if I manually added two emergency contact family members to the Prius by hand I'd be about done, and for me that was sufficient.

As a Fandroid can I just mention that my Samsung (the lookeee-likee one Apple sued over -old Galaxy S) has no problem at all with transferring the address book. Just saying .... :backofnet:

Bibsy,

Many thanks.

You have confirmed my fears.

As I spend a lot of the day in the car, I had hoped to transfer my numbers.

Looks like I may be dialling from the phone then.

Thanks again

As a Fandroid can I just mention that my Samsung (the lookeee-likee one apple sued over -old Galaxy S) has no problem at all with transferring the address book. Just saying .... :backofnet:

WHS - I was using an HTC phone when I bought the Prius three years ago and had no difficulty transferring my phone data base. Since then I have changed to a Samsung Galaxy Note (using Android) and it transfers the data in no time. I have done it twice because of a change of 12v Battery.

It's worth the effort of transferring the data to another phone to get it into the car, because the speed dialing and the voice activated dialing do make calling so much easier and safer.

PS - If you got the car from a Toyota dealer, they will have seen all the issues before and will almost certainly have a member of staff who is an expert at solving the problem.

I cannot remember which why around it is but the iPhone will either only push or pull contact entries and it is opposite to what Toyota/Lexus do and I think it is partly a security thing.

Not sure why we still have this issue, Toyota haven't done anything about it for 7+ years. BMW, MB, Honda etc all have no problems.

There is an old application available for the Mac which will transfer your contacts, provided your computer has BT - haven't used it for a few years but I guess it still works.

Take a look at the Appstore. Bound to be a bluetooth contact manager application in there.

I had an old Nokia their first smartphone. I found a freeware application (on the Net) written in Symbian(?) to do just that, and got it to communicate with my Pioneer Avic920BT.

I refuse to accept that a ten year old Nokia can do something a hugely over priced iPhone cannot.

As you can probably tell as a Fandroid I'm no fan of the phone of choice for iSheep but I really do hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers,

... As you can probably tell as a Fandroid I'm no fan of the phone of choice for iSheep ...

You are entitled to your opinion, but the whole fandroid vs Apple fanboy fanaticism is rather boring. Live and let live, each to their own, etc.

I refuse to accept that a ten year old Nokia can do something a hugely over priced iPhone cannot.

You might refuse to accept it, but it is an Apple thing, not something that Toyota have control over

There are lots of bluetooth share apps, not sure if they work to transfer contacts though

Kingo :thumbsup:

OK save your contacts to the SIM. Swap the Sim into your mates Android phone and transfer them pdq. Or resurrect an old Nokia from your junk draw or even buy an old Nokia on Fleabay just for this purpose..

Job done.

IIRC the Nokia 3230 called the contacts 'Business Cards' it was really easy to transfer them.

Cheers Peeps.

I will look through appstore, but I will not hold my breath.

Looks like I will be putting them in by hand as and when I need them.

I'm baffled by this post as I've owned a Gen II, a Gen III, and a Gen III Mk2 (2012) - all with the standard Toyota SatNav/Bluetooth systems installed - and I'm an iPhone user.

Never once had an issue with the address book transferring all contacts to the Prius with the iPhone 3G, 4, 4S or now the 5.

I will grant you that until iOS4 came out some of the bluetooth functionality was a bit rubbish, but it all still worked.

If you are still stuck give me a shout and I'll put together some instructions.

Hi Tony,

Some instructions on getting my contacts across would be magic mate.

I cannot get them across no mattter what I try.

I await with great hopes.

Many thanks

Just to confirm Bibsy & Sooty - both using a Gen 2 Prius? (don't want to give gen 3 instructions if that's not what you are using!)

Rgds

Tone

Yep Gen 2 mate.

It has the fog lights in the lower grille if that helps.

JBL system fitted as well.

Many thanks

Page 298 (actually page 30 of attached PDF)

Make sure you phone is paired with the Prius, and follow the instructions... let me know if you run into any problems.

Regards

ToneGen II Audio + Tel.pdf

Page 298 (actually page 30 of attached PDF)

Make sure your phone is paired with the Prius, and follow the instructions... let me know if you run into any problems.

Regards

ToneGen II Audio + Tel.pdf

Thanks for that Tone.

I guess the question is when you get to the bit where the transfer begins, (when it says "Please transmit Phone Book data from the mobile phone"), what do you do on the phone, if anything, to send the contacts?

Thanks Tone.

The problem is as Joseph says.

I can do all of the above until step 8 where it asks you to send the data from the phone.

I have read this and many oher versions and still cannot get the iPhone to send.

I think the problem is with iPhone, not the car.

Many thanks again for trying to help.

There is no option to "send" from an iPhone, which is where we started...

But Tone said he has definitely done it on many occasions and different models of Apple phones.

We await an update form Tone.

Yes. I'm hoping I'm just being amazingly dense and there's a ticky box on the phone or something, but if there is it's jolly well hidden! Perhaps Tone will put us out of our misery in due course.

Hi guys

Sorry I've been neglecting you all the past day or so - been crazy busy at work and not had time to respond.

OK - so to pick up where we left off - you are trying to find a way to get the iPhone to initiate the contact transfer.

It is automatic - the iPhone should start the transfer on it's own... however there is one important point. The bluetooth software that supports the bulk push of contacts in the iPhone was updated in iOS4, so if you have an iPhone3G or 3GS you will need to ensure that you are running iOS4 or later to support this functionality.

I'm a member of the Apple Developer Program, and as such have access to pre-release versions of iPhone software. I remember the "Hallelujah" moment when testing the bluetooth connectivity of iOS4 in the Gen 2 Prius and finding that the contacts would sync.