Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iphone Contact Sync With Prius

Sooty

Tone,

I have the iPhone 3GS which upto the other day had IOS 5.1.1 and jailbreak on.

It would NOT send the contacts over, the car sat with the screen asking me to initiate it on the phone.

Updating to IOS 6 (what a load of c**p) has made no difference.

Looking over the net, it seems Apple have crippled the bluetooth capability.

Thanks for trying to help though

Agreed. I have a 3GS, and have tried this with both IOS4 and IOS5. It doesn't initiate anything. It just sits there with the Prius asking you to make the phone send.

Hi

I had an iPhone 3GS that synced without problem - but caller ID didn't work until I removed all of the country codes (+44 etc) from the numbers.

I have just purchased an iPhone 4GS (didn't need a 5) and have the latest IOS6 installed. Synced perfectly.

Manage Contacts and it did. 2009 year Prius 3.

Steve9999,

Did you manage to get your contacts onto the car?

Syncing to use the phone is not the issue, it's getting the contacts across.

Had another go last night as we're talking about it. iPhone 3GS, IOS5, Prius Gen 2 2008 model.

Close observation shows that if you open the bluetooth page (General>Settings>Bluetooth) on the phone, it says it's paired with the car. As soon as you open the screen on the car that asks for the contacts to be sent, the connection is dropped and the phone says "disconnected". It remains that way for (at least) twenty minutes, at which point I gave up. Press cancel on the car screen and the phone reconnects immediately.

During that twenty minutes a bloke with another phone walked by and a car with bluetooth drove by and my iPhone offered to pair with them, so it wasn't the phone crashing, just losing connection with the Prius.

The experiment was repeatable.

You can make it even worse by turning off the bluetooth on the phone when it's in this disconnected state, and turning it on again. If you do that, not only doesn't it work, but it loses the pairing with the car entirely, even after reboot, and has to be re-paired with it.

Looks like I will be using the home button on the phone and going by voice dial from there then.

If I do that the car notes that a call has been intiated from the phone and goes to the phone screen and works like a bluetooth headset.

Thank you all for trying to find an answer.

Apple really has crippled the bluetooth system.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this!!!!!!!!

I have eventually found some info about iPhone contact syncing on the Toyota Service Information site.

It states that only 3GS with IOS 4.1 has the capability to transfer the contacts or phonebook.

All later IOS revions have lost that function.

This includes iPhone 5 running IOS 6.

Looks like I cannot sync it then, Unless somebody knows of an app that can do it!! Even on a jailbroken phone.

Thanks Apple for crippling the phone.

HTH.

All later IOS revions have lost that function.

This includes Iphone 5 running IOS 6.

Looks like I cannot sync it then, Unless somebody knows of an app that can do it!! Even on a jailbroken phone.

Thanks Apple for crippling the phone.

HTH.

I have had a 4, 4s and now a 5. All have synced the contacts, and on all OS, including the new iOS6.

Every time I've had a new iPhone, I wiped all the contacts and phones off the car, and started afresh. When the phone and car synced for the first time, the system asked if the contacts should be copied over. Clicked Yes or OK or whatever, and job done.

Not sure what the reason is for your problems, but I haven't had any yet (touch wood).

[edit] just noticed that you are on an Gen 2, whereas I'm on Gen 3 so feel free to ignore my post (!) ;-)

Valmiki,

It looks as if you have a newer car than me.

I have the "Gen 5" head unit with sat nav and bluetooth built in.

Would the fact that it is a JBL fit have any bearing?

The info I gave came from the official Toyota site and I matched it to my HU.

Can you let me know what HU is in yours please so I can compare them?

Many thanks

Hi, my car is a regular Gen 3 T-Spirit, with NAV and bluetooth as standard. Doesn't have JBL though, if that helps.

Sorry haven't got a clue what Gen the headunit is I'm afraid, but I can also stream music through the bluetooth interface as well as handle calls. Works really well too, while streaming music the phone calls will kick in, and then when the call is over the music will continue from where it left off.

Sorry, not trying to rub it in,honest, lol.

Tis OK.

It must be that you have a later set up than me.

I haven't tried streaming music though. Never thought of it, but I will try soon.

Cheers mate

Found Sooty's page he's referring to - it does say that, doesn't it. Blast.

Oh well, at least I know. Gen2, iPhone 3GS, IOS 5 or 6 - no go.

• 1 month later...

I found the only way to sync contacts was to remove all of the country codes from the phone numbers so +4401xx becomes 01xx etc. (this answer came from another member in answer to my problem) Also the problem only started after iOS5 was intorduced.

I just came out of an Auris Hybrid, I never bothered syncing contacts with my iPhone because it was a pain in the RRR's

Have just gone into a Yaris SR with the Touch system, only pressed the bluetooth pair button and it paired my phone AND imported all the contacts without even asking me, well pleased with that!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi

I had an IPhone 3GS that synced without problem - but caller ID didn't work until I removed all of the country codes (+44 etc) from the numbers.

I have just purchased an IPhone 4GS (didn't need a 5) and have the latest IOS6 installed. Synced perfectly.

Manage Contacts and it did. 2009 year Prius 3.

Hi..yes I managed to Sync my contacts from the phone to the car. Again though I had to ensure that all of the country codes were removed from the numbers.

Thanks Steve,

I notice that you have a Gen 3 Prius though, mine is a Gen 2.

The Toyota Europe tech site shows that the bluetooth on a Gen 2 only syncs the contacts with a 3gs running IOS 4.1.

It must be the bluetooth setup on the Gen 2 that is causing the problem.

Thanks again.

Sooty

Thanks Steve,

I notice that you have a Gen 3 Prius though, mine is a Gen 2.

The Toyota Europe tech site shows that the bluetooth on a Gen 2 only syncs the contacts with a 3gs running IOS 4.1.

It must be the bluetooth setup on the Gen 2 that is causing the problem.

Thanks again.

Sooty

Hi, yes I did originally think it was the set up on the Prius - how was it possible that Apple would make a retrograde step with an upgrade? But they did. There is a previous post on here about the same topic - perhaps you'll find something useful in there, it certainly helped me. One thing i did notice when syncing was that it appeared to take a long time so I stopped it from the car and miraculously my contacts were there and caller ID works as well so just as expected. My latest sync was with iOS6. Good luck.