Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Much Fuel Can You Fit In Your Iq?

craggle

Hi Chaps and chapesses

I was just wondering how much fuel you normally manage to squeeze in your iQ when you fill it up.

Reason is I filled up this morning as the last bar of the gauge started flashing and I got 21 liters in the car filling it to the brim.

I did manage to run out of fuel a couple of months back and after putting a 5 liter container of fuel in the car and driving 2 miles to the petrol station I filled it up and managed to get 22 liters in the car.

So, By my calculations from a dry tank my fuel capacity including the filler neck is only about 27 liters.

The car consistently returns about 51mpg and this gets me about 250 miles before I need to refill which works out to about 22 liters per 250 miles, just about right to what I put in when refilling.

I thought the fuel capacity was more than this or am I being silly expecting to get more in there?

Craig.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tarquin

• craggle

• aaronfife

• s44gtw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

touchy subject this one. tank cap is app 32 ltrs. but its a flat tank so fuel guage reading can be adversly affected by angle of car etc. i rarely get more than 25 litres into my iq.Doesnt really matter if i'm down to last flashing bar or second to last its usually in the 23-25 range. furthest i've gone is 320 on 1 tank , but others have pushed it to the max , there are a few threads on this site on range/ fuel guage etc. Could be you ran out with fuel in the tank, but at an angle where the pump couldn't get it out of the tank.

my advice, and its only my opinion is treat the last bar as a reserve and fill up at first opportunity or somewhere that you know you can get to without to much risk.

It was strange when it ran out as the car drove home fine and parked up no problem but then just wouldn't start the following morning.

I too take your philosophy now and just fill it up as soon as I see 2 bars left and I then panic if I get the flashing bar!

Wonder if the 32 liter capacity then includes the filler neck as that must add a couple more liters? I was starting to think my car had been fitted with a special half size tank!

Craig.

I'll have the check the receipts when I get home, but I tend to average around 46mpg around town so plenty of stop start action.

Fish

I filled last night, managed 23.22 litres at £32.02. That got me 345 miles. Averaging 60mpg (or so the computer says so probably more :) )

Okay, So it sounds like people are filling around the same as me then at 22 - 24 liters.

I know you can't run out every time but with a 32 litre tank capacity I was expecting to be filling up somewhere around 30 liters each time but maybe the flat tank means you can't use all that is in there.

I know mpg varies, covered that one before. :)

Cheers

Craig

I actually used my IQ for about 3/4 days with the bar flashing..then bottled it and finally decided to fill up. Glad I did as it took a smidge over 32 litres! I havent driven mine for about 2 months now though, but was getting around 48mpg at best. But Ive never been one to try and get really high figures.

Just filled up, 2 bars showing on gauge - I put in 22.72 L which was up to the brim (or at least till when I can actually see the petrol in the filler pipe). Out of interest has anyone put super-unleaded in and found any improvement in fuel consumption? My MPG readout before filling was 49.1 so a little less than the 51.0 reported last time, this is driving in traffic - but I have been a little more heavy on the right pedal lately!!

jack

Just filled up, 2 bars showing on gauge - I put in 22.72 L which was up to the brim (or at least till when I can actually see the petrol in the filler pipe). Out of interest has anyone put super-unleaded in and found any improvement in fuel consumption? My MPG readout before filling was 49.1 so a little less than the 51.0 reported last time, this is driving in traffic - but I have been a little more heavy on the right pedal lately!!

Jack

I tested this for 3 tankfills and the results were quite something.

Got my receipts in front of me as I kept them,

V-Power - 22litres - 270miles

BT Ultimate - 23litres - 285miles

Shells Normal Unleaded - 22litres - 320miles

Asda Unleaded - 320 - 370miles.

We fill up now with Asda all the time and are averaging the above mileage. Just shows in a performance car,these fuels will improve MPG/power but in the IQ it's worse. Obviously that was a few times so not that accurate. I filled twice with the fuels to try and get a more accurate readout though.

Jack

We fill up now with Asda all the time and are averaging the above mileage. Just shows in a performance car,these fuels will improve MPG/power but in the IQ it's worse. Obviously that was a few times so not that accurate. I filled twice with the fuels to try and get a more accurate readout though.

That answers my query well enough - think I will keep on the normal unleaded!

Aaron, it's funny you should mention the difference in fuels, and where you get it from. I noticed our hyper-innacurate fuel gauge had gone down a notch earlier today and checked the Trip A mileage. It was a lot less than last time I checked that 'one notch down' mileage. Don't recall the figures but the first time it was over 100 miles, this time it's double figures only. :disgust:

Yes its quite surprising really.

I tend to still avoid the local garages though as don't fully trust there fuels. Asda to me seems good for the IQ.

On topic however I've been getting the same litres almost everytime and when it clicks, I've been fitting another 2 litres max in! So average of 22- 24 possibly. Fuel is so damm expensive all my friends have been winging about how it's costing £70 on a normal family car (Mondeo/Vectra) and safe to say I just laugh. :clap:

It costs me £75 to fill up my diesel megane and that lasts for between 650-700 miles but I get some money back per mile from my company so its all good. Average price per litre is 1.41 which is not so good though!

It costs me £75 to fill up my diesel megane and that lasts for between 650-700 miles but I get some money back per mile from my company so its all good. Average price per litre is 1.41 which is not so good though!

Not bad!! In fact that's almost the same as the IQ if you half mileage and fuel etc. Its 1.37 here and climbing :no:

Aaron are you running yours on Broadband lol

I seem to be getting the better mpg on here then lol? I thought 320-370 the average but tonight there was strong winds coming back from work... We all know what that means :(

I seem to be getting the better mpg on here then lol? I thought 320-370 the average but tonight there was strong winds coming back from work... We all know what that means :(

The varying results depending on there you buy petrol are strange because I had always thought petrol was petrol. Asda do not refine petrol and just purchase wholesale from a refiner, so it will be the same petro, you would get from one of the other big brands.

As for V-Power and BP Ultimate, they will have different additives that (allegedly) affect performance, but at a price. Do the performance fuels really improve performance, especially in a little 1 litre engine, and if there are additives you are probably getting 95% fuel and 5% additives. Maybe I am wrong but I have always thought these special fuels are a bit of a money making scam, just like a pub watering down their beer to make more profit. I would guess the additives cost less to produce than the fuel, and they sell at a higher price than standard fuel. Let be realistic, the last thing the petrol companies want is a fuel that provides more MPG, in the same way they do not want the electric car to become the standard. It's all just marketing hype.

There is a new series of Fifth Gear showing on Sky at the moment and despite having to suffer that butler Henderson Woman I have watched a few.

This weeks one had a test of performance fuels on it and they started with a "Performance" car that looked like any other hatchback to me and they did a Dyno run on each different fuel.

The best was Shell V-Power which gave about 4 or 5 bhp more I think it was but when she did the road driving tests she said she really couldn't tell the difference.

I have tried Shells standard and ran about 4 tanks of V-power through my 1.33 liter iQ3 and to be honest I didn't notice a difference in performance but I did notice a few more mpg with the V-power. It was just a few though so easily in the range of error margin depending on how I drove, if the air con was on, Etc.

I now run on Shell standard unleaded as it's the only station I pass on the way to work, Don't see the point in driving more miles to another station and I don't think the claimed benefits of the V-Power are worth the extra cost.

Craig.

Not a scam other than the poorer fuel in the UK compared to some of mainland Europe.

Before unleaded in the uk, we had Standard, Premium, Super, (2, 4, 5 star etc. that was 95 ron to 101 ron)

Petrol is not just petrol,

in the uk you get it buy Octane, all around the world the Octrane can change.

UK tho.

95 ron is the usual then 97 ron (sainsbury Super) Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum 99. (yes different additives)

Europe that Super might be 102 ron at about the same price as 95 ron here.

http://petrolprices.com

Sainsbury Super 97 ron is good value in IMO.

I run Momentum because i need 98 Ron.

(only costs 5 pence a litre more and it is for me as good as V Power which is another 5 pence a litre more)

So if the Manufacturer recommends 95 ron (min 91 ron) then 95 is fine.

If like a engine , say a 1Q3 it is 98 Ron (95 MiN) then the performance of the vehicle including the economy might be better with the Fuel that may reduce Knock.

Fuel might come out of refinerys & then at the Depot the Additives get added or the extra that increases the Octane.

Not all the same tho.

http://www.en.wikipe...i/Octane_rating

http://www.tesco.com...efits-specs.asp

(Tesco 'Momentum' Petrol is Produced Differently & you will see who Supplies it, 'Greenergy',they are now a huge distributor)

Remember as you change fuels & go from 95 ron to 98 ron you have fuel left & you dilute the effect.

Next tank your ECU might have adjusted an notice the increased Octane.

Then again maybe not.

Better fuel in Scotland soon for winter.

&

Colder air means more Oxygen, means better running.

Well thats all theory,

in practice European 102 ron is wonderfull stuff.

I use this instead of the BP race fuel i used to pay £10 a Gallon For.

george

No matter what fuel I use though I can still only fit between 22 and 24 litres of it in the 32 litre tank. :)

Craig.

5.25 gallon is a really undersized tank or 6.5 if you still have about a gallon in.

I have always got 8 gallons in not 7,

but if you do not run it empty or empty a tank then fill it,

you do not know if it takes 32 litres or 36.5

That is good that you know that it only takes 32 litres.

& how any fuel gives you a MPG.

That will be because it is you, how you drive your iQ.

Does not mean that it applies to everyone in different vehicles.

eg, it might not be the same if i drive your car.

iQ's do pretty much adjust the ECU to the fuel and do not vary that much.

george

I do go to Tesco once a week I guess so maybe I need to experiment with the Momentum fuel. They do pay at pump too which I like. :)

I'll run a few tanks of that and get some economy readings and let you know.

Craig.

I have mentioned it on here before, it was generally believed some while ago that you had about 50 miles left when the last bar starts flashing. Well mine did 23 and cut out I wa able to restart , moves few hundred yards then cutout. This happened 3 timed luckily I got into Tesco. So just a bit of warning really. Flashing last bar can give you as little as 23 miles

David