Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Locked Out!

sparkymarky2

Good Afternoon All,

I don't usually post too often, but I have a problem & I hoping to find the answer here!

This morning my 2007 gen2 prius wouldn't unlock on the key fob. The red light still lit upbut i thought the Battery maybe dead, so I fetched the spare (which was new with the car just over 12 months ago so this Battery should be ok).

Still no joy.

So I called on my survival instinct & unlocked the door using the little ket inside the fob...which set the alarm off (that I didnt know it had!)

Inside I put the key in & everything started up as normal.

Does this sound like the 12v Battery is on its way out?

The car is 5 years old with 34k miles & never had a replacment battery to my knowledge.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Mark

Your symptoms would suggest that the key fob Battery should be changed.

This is normally changed at 2 yearly intervals so at 5 years your Battery has done well.

After a little research i may expand my answer to "maybe but check this as well",

Message from "Chris Dance" on a similar subject:

"I had a similar problem on my previous car an Avensis but only when I visited a mate in Essex. Other people living in that area had experienced problems as well. It turned out to be a radio mast. The locals got the mast owners to reduce the voltage of the mast and all is OK there now.

Have you got any masts or anything that could interfere with the key fob radio signal.

Does the problem only happen in one place or is it everywhere you go? "

Thanks for the quick replies everyone:

The problem has only happened once so far, & the car was outside my house. There is a radio mast about half a mile away but it has never caused a problem before & the wifes gen 3 didnt have a problem this morning...which suggests it specific to me.

key fob Battery wise...I tried the spare & that had the same problem. The spare was a brand new unit 12 months ago & hasn't been used other than testing...so that points away from the key fob Battery i think.

I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days, but I'm still thinking the 12v is at fault.

thanks

I had the same problem several months ago. Did what you did and used the mechanical key.

Checked the fob Battery and 12V Battery, both were fine. Problem has never recurred (yet).

The problem has only happened once so far, & the car was outside my house. There is a radio mast about half a mile away but it has never caused a problem before & the wifes gen 3 didnt have a problem this morning...which suggests it specific to me.

key fob battery wise...I tried the spare & that had the same problem. The spare was a brand new unit 12 months ago & hasn't been used other than testing...so that points away from the key fob battery i think.

I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days, but I'm still thinking the 12v is at fault.

thanks

Hi Mark,

If you want to check your 12v Battery have a look at the video in this post: How To Check 12V Auxillary Battery Status In Gen 2

I also had some issues, some similar to yours, and it turned out to be the 12v had passed its "use by" date.

Cheers.

I had the same problem several months ago. Did what you did and used the mechanical key.

Checked the fob battery and 12V battery, both were fine. Problem has never recurred (yet).

Looks like mine could be the same...its all waorking fine since!

key fob battery wise...I tried the spare & that had the same problem. The spare was a brand new unit 12 months ago & hasn't been used other than testing...so that points away from the key fob battery i think.

thanks

Hi Mark,

If you want to check your 12v Battery have a look at the video in this post: How To Check 12V Auxillary Battery Status In Gen 2

I also had some issues, some similar to yours, and it turned out to be the 12v had passed its "use by" date.

Cheers.

Thanks for the link Joesph D I didn't know you could access that menu!

I'll try that tonight to see how the 12v Battery looks.

thanks everyone

After a little research i may expand my answer to "maybe but check this as well",

Message from "Chris Dance" on a similar subject:

"I had a similar problem on my previous car an Avensis but only when I visited a mate in Essex. Other people living in that area had experienced problems as well. It turned out to be a radio mast. The locals got the mast owners to reduce the voltage of the mast and all is OK there now.

Have you got any masts or anything that could interfere with the key fob radio signal.

Does the problem only happen in one place or is it everywhere you go? "

A couple of years ago I had this problem with the previous car when I stayed at a hotel that I had used several times before with no problems. There were no obvious new masts nearby but the hotel was having a big extension. I haven't had the problem since the building work has finished so I put the problem down to the builder's radio communications gear.

I have noticed that my T-Spirit with Smart Entry (or whatever it's called) won't unlock the doors automatically on approach if the key is in the same pocket as my phone (iPhone). Always keep the two in separate pockets now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links