Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso 1.8 V-Matic Tr Poor Mpg

np74

Hello

Recently i purchased used Verso 1.8 V-Matic M-Drive TR(auto-7seats) - 2011 from toyota dealer, it has 7k milage on clock, just noticed that it is giving very poor mpg, around 24mpg on motor way and even worst in town, anyone with similar car getting same MPG? do you think there is something wrong with it ? I do drive very carefully dont go above 70 mph ( within 3k rpm). The display always shows something like 38mpg but i think its wrong. any suggestions ? The car had major service done before I took it from dealer

Welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

Just a quick couple of checks...

What tyre pressures are you running? Try running the car with 40psi front and 38psi rear (it's the 'autobahn pressure' but will improve your mpg)

What oil do you have in the car? Dealers should now be putting 0w20 oil in all V-matic engines, as well as hybrids, but some are still probably using 5w30 which will harm your mpg.

Have you worked out a brim to brim average? To give you a real figure.

The above checks are free, but if you want to spend a little bit of money, you could put in 2 or 3 tanks of Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate as the extra additives in the fuel will give your engine a 'clean' (you will need a few tanks for them to work).

Hope that's some help.

Welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

Just a quick couple of checks...

What tyre pressures are you running? Try running the car with 40psi front and 38psi rear (it's the 'autobahn pressure' but will improve your mpg)

What oil do you have in the car? Dealers should now be putting 0w20 oil in all V-matic engines, as well as hybrids, but some are still probably using 5w30 which will harm your mpg.

Have you worked out a brim to brim average? To give you a real figure.

The above checks are free, but if you want to spend a little bit of money, you could put in 2 or 3 tanks of Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate as the extra additives in the fuel will give your engine a 'clean' (you will need a few tanks for them to work).

Hope that's some help.

Hi

I will definitely try both free /pay option is there anything specific i can ask dealer to do some checks ? will that help?

thanks

I will definitely try both free /pay option is there anything specific i can ask dealer to do some checks ? will that help?

There isn't a huge amount the dealer can look at. They can check for engine fault codes (you would already have the Engine Malfunction Light lit if you had a major problem) also you could ask them to check the engine air filter (you could do this yourself if you wanted to).

If the engine is revving freely and the CVT gearbox is working smoothly through the speed range, I wouldn't go to the dealer just yet (other than to ask which oil they put in at the service) as they will probably charge you to tell you there is nothing wrong!

How do you know it is doing 24 MPG? I would find it hard to believe the display MPG is that far out. Try resetting the display and work out your MPG properly from brim to brim (with a calculator) then compare what the display and your figures are. I find it hard to believe it is that bad, although that engine is quite thirsty

Kingo :thumbsup:

There isn't a huge amount the dealer can look at. They can check for engine fault codes (you would already have the Engine Malfunction Light lit if you had a major problem) also you could ask them to check the engine air filter (you could do this yourself if you wanted to).

If the engine is revving freely and the CVT gearbox is working smoothly through the speed range, I wouldn't go to the dealer just yet (other than to ask which oil they put in at the service) as they will probably charge you to tell you there is nothing wrong!

When I bought car from dealer he did full service, so I guess he must have changed air filter, but to make sure if it is changed or not I can verify that, I don't know much about cars, do you have any guide on how to check air filter?

How do you know it is doing 24 MPG? I would find it hard to believe the display MPG is that far out. Try resetting the display and work out your MPG properly from brim to brim (with a calculator) then compare what the display and your figures are. I find it hard to believe it is that bad, although that engine is quite thirsty

I havent tried brim to brim but definitely by looking at the petrol indicator i could worked it out how much mpg achieved for half the tank approximately and my figures are no more coming close to displayed mpg. Belive me i tried to do this atleast 4 to 5 times and specially for motorway mileage, anyway will try to do brim to brim and see if I can get any different result.

As the car hasnt done much mileage since new (7k ) do you think it will still take time to get engine tuned?

You cannot make anything like an accurate calculation by working out how quick the gauge drops. If you fill the tank, it will take an age for it to move, when the gauge is below half, it will drop much faster

The engine will still be tight at 7K but not so tight as to make a massive difference

Fill the tank, run the car, fill it again and make a proper calculation. If you are not confident at doing that, use something like fuelly which will do it all for you

You cannot make anything like an accurate calculation by working out how quick the gauge drops. If you fill the tank, it will take an age for it to move, when the gauge is below half, it will drop much faster

The engine will still be tight at 7K but not so tight as to make a massive difference

Fill the tank, run the car, fill it again and make a proper calculation. If you are not confident at doing that, use something like fuelly which will do it all for you

Thanks

I think I should be able to do that, will update once I got some results thanks

When I bought car from dealer he did full service, so I guess he must have changed air filter, but to make sure if it is changed or not I can verify that, I don't know much about cars, do you have any guide on how to check air filter?

I don't think it would have been a major service that it had, the car is 1 year old <10k so it would have been a basic oil/oil filter service. Air filter isn't due until 4 year/40k

Alex

I don't think it would have been a major service that it had, the car is 1 year old <10k so it would have been a basic oil/oil filter service. Air filter isn't due until 4 year/40k

Alex

Alex

just checked inspection sheet given by dealer and it does say 4year 40k replacement of air filter. it looks like they jist inspected it dont know how carefully dealer inspect these.

If the dealer is worth their salt then they should inspect it very carefully

As others have said calculate it from brim to brim then compare it to the obc, Toyotas are usually very close normally 1 or 2mpg different, my auris is .8mpg different

You could enter your figures into fuelly.com for an online calculator.

Other option is to disconnect the Battery for 30 mins, re connect it and go for a drive so the ecu re learns

Alex

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys

I did brim to brim calculations on my verso and it ran 284 miles in 46 litre- The display shows mpg as 33.5. ( The car was mostly drived in city with few miles on motorway - 30% on motorway)

other verso with same spec offers these kind of mpg? according to company spec it says 39mpg in urban and combined 45mpg so i dont know if there is something wrong with vehicle?

Anyone got any real mpg figure for these models? any suggestions?

Last fill up I did was for 44.62 litres and I had travelled 363.4 miles. I would guess a mix of 20% town and 80% motorway driving. Didn't make a note of the display value but from experience its usually optimistic.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links