Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flooded Footwell

Dave16

After the rather unpleasant weather the past few days we opened the car to find the driver's footwell rather squelchy and the carpet sodden. A look at the sunroof didn't suggest any water leaking through there but there were some drips coming from the sunglasses holder. It's never happened before.

Then driving to work today the engine warning light came on and the speedometer stopped working. I should add that the car broke down a couple of months back when the speed sensor packed up and the known ECU auto gearbox control problem kicked in. We had to have the gearbox repaired, sent the ECU off for repairs and until now everythying has been fine again.

Car is a five door 2000 registration VX 2.0 petrol auto.

Suggestions please?

Does sound like a blocked drain, these are usually at all four corners of the inner sunroof gutter. Sometimes only one gets blocked and you only notice when the car is parked at the angle that would direct water to that drain.

Best to open the sunroof on a level surface then very slowly pour water in the gutter and check each of the drains is clear. You should see water exit roughly from each corner of the car.

Isnt there also drains on the bulkhead area (rear of engine) i remember my Focus had a puddle on the floor and it was a blocked drain in this area

Thanks for the tips - any suggestions why the engine warning light would come on on the dashboard and the speedometer would stop working if a sunroof drain had blocked?

Thanks for the tips - any suggestions why the engine warning light would come on on the dashboard and the speedometer would stop working if a sunroof drain had blocked?

Water running behind the dash and getting into the electrics would be my guess.............

We've had this before. Water gets into a plug on the bulkhead. Can anybody find the thread?

I had a damp footwell in my old Cherokee..

To absorb the moisture, spread cat litter on the carpets and then brush it up. Leave the window open when you park and let some air through or it'll smell like a wet dog after a while. A big bowl of instant coffee powder absorbs moisture from the air and combats bad smell too. In my case, I had to drill holes in the floor to let the bog water flow out and then throw away the carpets.. but we live and learn.

that's quite damp Uncle_P !!

After reading this thread yesterday morning I checked mine (as you do) all OK but it did start me wondering how I would unbolck such narrow holes if that hadn't been the case.