Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommendations For Good (And Not Noisy) Tyres For 2003 Rav4

Dartmoor1

Hi there.

I put up a post about a really loud noise inside my RAV4 which was constant but seemed to increase once beyond 20mph.

Forum members suggested either a wheel bearing or tyre issue. I was worried about the danger and cost aspect of wheel bearing replacment but took in into my (non Toyota) local garage to get it checked. Their opinion after checks was that it was definitely a tyre issue and not wheel bearings so essentially safe but only cure for the noise is to fit new and "appropriate" tyres.

The guilty tyres currently fitted are Nankang something or others. The garage suggest Bridgestone 215/70/R16. Do forum members agree with that recommendation and if so can they suggest anywhere with a better price than £105 off each as quoted by my garage?

In terms of my driving I don't do any off-road stuff and probably won't in future so nothing too drastic in that department needed.

Cheers.

Hi there.

I put up a post about a really loud noise inside my RAV4 which was constant but seemed to increase once beyond 20mph.

Forum members suggested either a wheel bearing or tyre issue. I was worried about the danger and cost aspect of wheel bearing replacment but took in into my (non Toyota) local garage to get it checked. Their opinion after checks was that it was definitely a tyre issue and not wheel bearings so essentially safe but only cure for the noise is to fit new and "appropriate" tyres.

The guilty tyres currently fitted are Nankang something or others. The garage suggest Bridgestone 215/70/R16. Do forum members agree with that recommendation and if so can they suggest anywhere with a better price than £105 off each as quoted by my garage?

In terms of my driving I don't do any off-road stuff and probably won't in future so nothing too drastic in that department needed.

Cheers.

Hi & welcome.

I had a similar problem on our three door just after we bought it. Have you tried swapping the tyres from front to back & vice-versa? The noise is apparently caused either by irregular wear patterns (flat spots) or the compounds "going off" at different rates in the plies (so my tyre guy said). Because the acoustics at each end of the car are different, e.g. there's a boom-box effect in the back with all the empty space whereas all the engine & transmission gear at the front can act as sound dampers, you might find that the noise diminishes when the tyres are swapped (depending of course on how affected each individual tyre is).

In the end I fitted a new set of Cooper CS4's and they've been just fine. We've run Bridgestone Duelers (which I reckon are what you are now referring to) on our 5-door 02-reg RAV from new and they have been great in all conditions. We're on our second set at 78K so wear is pretty good.

I have Bridgestone Duelers on my current 4.2 5-door (early 2005) and also had them on a previous 4.2 3-door (late 2001) and haven't noted any extraneous tyre noise. Grip, life, etc. all suitable for my uses.

Nankang are Taiwan tyre company, but the bulk of their production is based in China.I believe they are at the economy end of the market and hence be a lot of the reason for the road noise you get from your Rav.HTH

Regards Clare

I've just fitted proper all terrain tyres to my 4.2. They're a bit noisier than regular tyres, but the grip that they have is remarkable, both on wet roundabouts and gravel tracks.

I've got the old set of four goodride cheapie tyres sat on the driveway ready for disposal. They're nothing short of dangerous on wet roads and I noticed one of them had a long split in the tread pattern. A blow out waiting to happen if ever I saw one. I was going to put them on eBay, but on reflection, they need to go to the recyclers.

I have Bridgestone Duelers on my current 4.2 5-door (early 2005) and also had them on a previous 4.2 3-door (late 2001) and haven't noted any extraneous tyre noise. Grip, life, etc. all suitable for my uses.

Would agree that the Bridgestones are great and quiet, albeit my embittered wee Scottish heid will buy no more of their products due to the Runflat debacle....LOVE THEIR GOLFBALLS THOUGH.....THEY GET HIT HARDER THAN ANY OTHERS.

Your wiserest choices are the Duellers or any Yokohama product, and that is only my honest opinion.

At risk of repetition, I found the Pirelli Scorpions incredibly noisy so would avoid.

Big Kev