Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Jammed In Ignition Barrel

rockerbox

Hi All -

Can anyone please advise on the subject problem. The ignition key is jammed in the barrel - the switch works fine except the key cannot be removed. This is my brothers car - a 1997 1.8 - he has a spare key so I understand the car can continue to be used and locked with the jammed key left in situ. Toyota has quoted £220 for a new barrel and £60 labour.

Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

Thanks in advance.

A squirt of easing oil is the first thing I would try as it sounds like a sticking latch in the barrel

Hope this is not a insult to your knowledge.

Del

The silly, obvious question - he is pushing the key in to allow it to be turned to the "remove" position?

Have you tried a strong magnet or if there is enough width looking at what you can see, drill say a tiny 1/64 hole into it, and easy out to follow!?

A squirt of easing oil is the first thing I would try as it sounds like a sticking latch in the barrel

Hope this is not a insult to your knowledge.

Del

Thanks Del, no insult at all - all input useful in getting a fix - but the release oil has been tried. A local garage says this jamming is a common fault - but it's never happened to my '96 model. Given the age of the car and the cost of a Totyota dealer repair and as all the switch functions are OK - it seems best to leave the key where it is - but disguised somewhat with a cover to deter potential thieves.

The silly, obvious question - he is pushing the key in to allow it to be turned to the "remove" position?

No not silly - but obvious I agree. I would have thought the routine of using the keys is 'auto pilot' embedded but it's certainly worth checking - thanks!

Have you tried a strong magnet or if there is enough width looking at what you can see, drill say a tiny 1/64 hole into it, and easy out to follow!?

The key is in one piece 'handle' included - and all functions are OK - so we suspect a faulty barrel - but it's a good option to try if it gets snapped off doing a fix. It seems we are 'locked in' - no pun intended - to a Dealer fix. But there is some hope - tomorrow he takes it to an auto locksmith - so we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried gently taping the barrel, with a small hammer whilst trying to pull at the key?

Have you tried gently taping the barrel, with a small hammer whilst trying to pull at the key?

No - but that's a good idea - will give it a try. Thanks.

Maybe a stupid question, but is the car manual or auto?

If it auto, it could be the micro switch for park position is not engaging.

I had one and found that if the car was not in park, the key would not be released.

Just a thought

Maybe a stupid question, but is the car manual or auto?

If it auto, it could be the micro switch for park position is not engaging.

I had one and found that if the car was not in park, the key would not be released.

Just a thought

Hi -

Not a stupid question at all (no such thing IMO when looking for help) - I should have mentioned that it was manual in my original post. It's been decided that as the car is in daily use and can't be 'off the road' - to leave the key in situ for now. A spare barrel (with keys) from a breakers yard is another possibility - slightly inconvenient having two different keys on the same fob but preferable to an expensive toyota fix. If and when a repair becomes inevitable - the tapping of the barrel suggested earlier in this thread is the last option to be tried before resorting to replacement.

Thanks for your input.