Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do You Jack Yours?

DominicPriestley

I need to fit a set of rear pads on the Rav. Any hints and tips for jacking the Rav up. Pics or vids? I have side steps on. I don't want to damage anything whilst lifting it.

The genuine steps have the jacking points repeated on them. I tend to go under the suspension with a trolley jack.

Trolley jack makes it dead easy from the rear and just behind the front wheels there is a major reinforced chassis bit that lifts it high in seconds. Him above forgot for once....AXLE STANDS OR YE GET A SMACK...!!!!!

Pacifisticated Kev.

Trolley jack makes it dead easy from the rear and just behind the front wheels there is a major reinforced chassis bit that lifts it high in seconds. Him above forgot for once....AXLE STANDS OR YE GET A SMACK...!!!!!

Pacifisticated Kev.

:rolleyes:For the benefit of the gentlefolk that reside below the wall,whats worse,a G Kiss or a K Smack :rolleyes:

Del

Hi. I just did the rear pads on my Rav4. First time I've done it, I've only had the car a few months. (done over by an unreputable dealer sadly - must have been off-road, got a filled door and the notorious knock on the column too).

Anyway.. I bought some hockey pucks on eBay and cut a groove into them for the sills to sit into, as stated in the service manual.

I used axle stands with 3 positions possible. My trolley jack couldn't lift it off the ground enough to sit it onto the stands at position 3 and the wheel were still on the ground at position 2.

My solution was to jack up on the sill (with puck) near the rear jacking point (where the two cut outs are along the sill) put the stand as close the this point a possible and sit it on the stands+pucks placed on the rear sills. Then lift the wheel off the ground with just a little bit of lift (2cm) from the trolley jack under the suspension arm.

Did the trick very nicely.

The manual and a few discussions on the forum suggest using the towing strut at the back of the vehicle. Looked very thin metal to me, plus further back needs a higher lift to get the wheels up. Plus you'd be lifting the whole rear end so less stable.

Hope that helps.

R

Where do you position the jack under the suspension Anc's?

Sorry Dom, missed this. Just under the rear arm.

How much lift do you need to jack up the front or rear of a RAV? Sounds like a high-lift trolley jack is needed rather then a standard one?

i just put my trolley jack (2.2 tonnes 4x4 jack) under the rear diif and jack the whole rear up with ease (rav 4 -> light vehicle) so can do both rear wheels in one go ;)