Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1997:key Fob Playing Up

Sax

Hi,

the key fob is playing up,sometimes it won`t lock or unlock the car at all,other times it works fine.Another thing that may or may not be related is that if i don`t drive the car for even 2 days the Battery goes completely flat.Anyone encountered this before?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

the latest is that i can lock the car via the fob but not unlock it.I have to use key to gain entry,but then the hazard lights start flashing for a 30 secs or so,these can`t be switched off no matter what,then i can drive the car,however the little red light located in the switch above the central fresh air vent is continously illuminated.

The Battery although charged yesterday seems strong,but i will get it checked as soon as i`m able to,anyone have anymore ideas?

The bulb in the interior light located in the centre of the car is missing,does that have any bearing on any of the above?

Many thanks.

Hi,

the key fob is playing up,sometimes it won`t lock or unlock the car at all,other times it works fine.Another thing that may or may not be related is that if i don`t drive the car for even 2 days the battery goes completely flat.Anyone encountered this before?

Thanks in advance

No idea on the key fob issue. On the Battery discharging - if the Battery is not faulty - and it should be OK at two years old - it could be a leak to earth somewhere in the electrical system. This could be checked after the engine is switched off and key removed - by disconnecting the positive lead at the Battery terminal and connecting a 'multimeter' (set to amps) in series between the terminal and the positive lead - these meters are available at most hardware stores for a few pounds - any reading in units of an amp or above will indicate a problem - a very low reading - of a few milliamps may be expected as there will be some power drain taken by the clock and security system. If no reading is obtained on the 'amps' range you can 'change the range' of the multi-meter to measure milliamps. I don't know what the current draw would normally be so the check is somewhat arbitrary - but perhaps anything over one tenth of an amp (100 milliamps) might be worth investigating further.

If significant current leakage is detected - you could pull out the fuses one by one until the leakage stops - and that will reveal the faulty circuit. If the leakage doesn't stop after the 'pulling of all the fuses' - then the fault may be on the cables feeding the fuse board/box.

Good luck!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links