Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav Head Unit For 51 Plate Rav4

Mr.Fixit-Norm

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum so be gentle ;)

What I'm hoping someone can help with is this, I'd like to fit a satnav/cd/Bluetooth unit in my 51 Rav 4 instead of the factory head unit, does anyone know what's out there that will fit?

I've seen lots of aftermarket stuff from Hong Kong, but there's no real info on which models they'll fit, and I'm concerned about the map updates and uk compatibility.

Anyone got any ideas? I could just have an after market stick on the screen one but I'd really like it built in.

Any help great fully received,

Norm

Any 2-din (double height) unit will fit in place of the current system. You would need to buy some side fillers (eBay for about £10) as the toyota unit is a "2-din wide" unit but once in place, will look fine :)

I went for a Kenwood sat-nav/DVD/etc unit on mine as didn't fancy the warranty issues on a chinese system.

Don't think you have any steering wheel audio controls on your unit, so nothing needed for compatibility. Just will probably loose the external temp display and the trip computer as built into the OEM unit.

Hi David,

Thanks for that, does the kenwood unit have built in bluetooth? I currently use a Satechi bluetooth unit which transmits the phone signal via an FM signal to an unused channel on the radio but I'd really like to get rid of that.

Norm

The one I fitted was about 4 years ago, so would have been replaced by a new mode at least twice by now probably, but in short, the nit I fitted cost £600 and had Sat-Nav, Radio, Rear camera screen view, bluetooth for the phone and for Audio streaming, DVD, traffic Info for sat-nav, iPod connectivity and control.

Only thing missing from that list is maybe a hard drive, but really the iPod replaces that need.

I bought this after I got fed up with a separate device for Sat-Nav, separate bluetooth for phone and the prospect of needing a separate screen for a reversing camera.

The one I fitted was about 4 years ago, so would have been replaced by a new mode at least twice by now probably, but in short, the nit I fitted cost £600 and had Sat-Nav, Radio, Rear camera screen view, Bluetooth for the phone and for Audio streaming, DVD, traffic Info for sat-nav, iPod connectivity and control.

Only thing missing from that list is maybe a hard drive, but really the iPod replaces that need.

I bought this after I got fed up with a separate device for Sat-Nav, separate Bluetooth for phone and the prospect of needing a separate screen for a reversing camera.

AYE MATE....BUT DID IT MAKE TOAST.....?

Nah, no toast, but the toasted tea cakes were nice (had to slice them thin to fit the DVD slot.

On the topic of NON-integrated units, the device I bought a couple of weeks ago was amazing value for money..... £77 got me a reversing camera with wireless transmission to a 7" touch screen equipped with Sat-Nav (with free map updates - and it had roads on it that had only just been finshed in a brand new estate in North Shields), configurable over-speed warnings, speed camera database and warnings, Hands free bluetooth, ability to place music and videos via a supplied 4GB MicroSD card.

While the convienience of this will not beat an integrated OEM unt, it makes it very hard for the car makers to justify their update charges.

Hi David, that £77 unit sounds really good, beginning to think that would make more sense than spending £400-600 on an aftermarket unit. What make and model was the one you got?

Norm