Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Viewing A 2.2 D4D D-Cat Avensis

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All

We'll be viewing a 2010 Toyota Avensis 2.2 d4d T Spirit D Cat saloon this week...just wondering what i/we should look out for? It already has 60k on it but a full toyota history.

Sorry if i sound silly...but what does D Cat mean?

Are there any COMMON faults i should be aware of?

I'm also concerned that we may be the owner at its 1ST M.O.T, should i have any concerns with 60k already done?

We currently have the 2006 1.6 Corolla which i really love, just straight forward motoring!!! BUT my partner really wants to upgrade now that we have our 3rd child and he has his heart set on the new shape Avensis BUT i'm really concerned as we previously had a 2001 Avensis 1.8 petrol which gave us hell for the year that we had it but this next one he wants is costing us a lot more £££...i'm a little worried...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Sammy

Hello, just a little help for you.

Common faults please read http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138591

engines in that model-

• 1.8 Valvematic petrol

Combining advanced engineering and lighter components, the 1.8 Valvematic petrol engine delivers eager performance with impressive fuel economy. Available as a six-speed manual or Multidrive S transmission on the T2, TR and T4. In the manual transmission saloon, it returns 43.5mpg (combined).

• 2.0 D-4D

The best-selling engine has been extensively revised for even greater fuel efficiency and lower emissions. Lighter, turbocharged and with cooling improvements, the 2.0 D-4D diesel is quieter and now delivers an impressive 62.8mpg (combined) and emissions of just 119g/km. This translates to lower running costs and free road tax in the first year.

• 2.2 D-4D

With 148bhp, the 2.2 D-4D diesel with six-speed manual transmission delivers sporty performance in tune with the dynamic driving style of the new Avensis. Even so, the combined economy figure is a frugal 52.3mpg.

• 2.2 D-4 CAT

The 148bhp 2.2 D-CAT diesel delivers smooth, quiet refinement through the six-speed automatic transmission. The combined economy figure is 45.6mpg.

Hi All

We'll be viewing a 2010 Toyota Avensis 2.2 d4d T Spirit D Cat saloon this week...just wondering what i/we should look out for? It already has 60k on it but a full toyota history.

Sorry if i sound silly...but what does D Cat mean?

Are there any COMMON faults i should be aware of?

I'm also concerned that we may be the owner at its 1ST M.O.T, should i have any concerns with 60k already done?

D-CAT is Toyota's technology combining a DPF (diesel particulate filter) & a 5th injector used for burning off particulates.

As it's a 2010 the head gasket issue on earlier D4D engines is supposedly resolved.

I seem to recall quite a few problems with the push-button handbrake on earlyish T27s (& it's about a £1k fix out of warranty).

Toyota introduced a 5 year/100k warranty in ~June 2010 so you might want to look for 1 that comes with that as you would still have 3 years warranty.

If you aren't doing more than ~15k miles a year running a petrol may work out cheaper in the long run (higher road tax & fuel costs but long term maintenance maybe less).

A full Toyota service history is almost essential when buying a complicated car like this, but it's the electronic 'handbrake' that puts me off. It takes some time to get used to them - the lack of feel & delay is offputting for some. As with other member's opinions, I 'd also recommend a petrol for lower mileage. If you do a lot of stop-start runs from cold (ie, the school run), then a petrol would be wiser in the long term. Hope that helps :)

I hand one of these "Electronic 'handbrake" on my Audi A6 3.2 BMW killer! I never had any problems with! But I did miss the old style handbrake system. As Scott has said, most of the problems with the HG issues have been sorted out now, but I would also be looking at the Honda Accords and the VW Passets to...

Sam, Have you sold your corolla then?

I used to help you out on the corolla forum, I had the T sport that did the LED interior mod

Sam, Have you sold your corolla then?

I used to help you out on the corolla forum, I had the T sport that did the LED interior mod

GUYS your the best...really appreciate all your advice so far...every little bit helps...to be honest i'm happy with our corolla but if the other half wants to live life more then there's not much i can do about it...we'll see how the viewing goes.

Mistermena...the Honda Accord was on his list at 1 point!

Unclebuck..you're right...that electronic handbrake freeks me out too...had a Vauxhall Insignia last year as a courtesy car and it had that button handbrake and it took some time getting used too.

And Phil01...yes we still have the Roll...so good to hear from you...missed them days of discussions...how can i forget your amazing led tutorials...i did my centre console in white led remember!

Takecare all

p/s...i must say from all that you guys have said so far, i am worried about this, is it the right move?

Sam,,, as you know I had the T sport corolla, sold it for a celica GT4 turbo and then sold that to buy an Avensis D4D T spirit.

Its a !Removed! boring car but is very sensible, I managed to get 74mpg form it and on a daily basis it never returns less than 52mpg, but like I said, boring as hell...so on the strengh of that I just went out and got myself a little MX5 and that now fills the gapn that the corolla and the GT4 left behind.

Get an Avensis, you will jot be disappointed, but you might have to keep the rolla as a fun car

To all Avensis owners please do not bite my head off for my remarks

and at 60k miles, this proves to me that the car has been driven everday so the D Cat and egr problems should never be an issue

from all that you guys have said so far, i am worried about this, is it the right move?

only you can decide that.

Personally, I would be happy buying another Avensis (& indeed in preference to either an Accord or Passat) - it's just a matter of deciding which engine/trim level best suits your needs/wants/budget.

and at 60k miles, this proves to me that the car has been driven everday so the D Cat and egr problems should never be an issue

Hmmm Phil01...this makes me feel alot more reassuring about the move...and i'm sure we can live with the boring factor so long as she's reliable and behaves herself!

And Heidfirst...i'd/we'd take the Avensis any day over the Accord or Passat...Toyotas are in our blood...had my brother round yesterday, now he's a Vauxhall man...he just cant understand why we don't look at the Insignia!!!

Just a thought...i understand to justify a 2.2 diesel or just a diesel in general really you have to drive in excess of 15k+ year...BUT OUT OF CURIOSITY...on short daily runs...SAY 10 MILES PER DAY...and my cars maintained to the highest standards/tyres/etc...on a full tank...how many miles to do you think i'd be looking at?

Thanks All

..had my brother round yesterday, now he's a Vauxhall man...he just cant understand why we don't look at the Insignia!!!

tell him to look at the JD Powers, What Car etc. surveys ...

Just a thought...i understand to justify a 2.2 diesel or just a diesel in general really you have to drive in excess of 15k+ year...BUT OUT OF CURIOSITY...on short daily runs...SAY 10 MILES PER DAY...and my cars maintained to the highest standards/tyres/etc...on a full tank...how many miles to do you think i'd be looking at?

it will depend upon your driving style & what roads that you are using but in the depths of winter up here a D4D will barely warm up over 5 miles whereas a petrol will be up to operating temp a lot quicker. In that situation the petrol may well turn in better mpg.

If you are really looking at 10 miles per day i.e. 3650 miles per year a petrol is certainly what I would buy.

HI Guys n Girls (?)

Had a thought today...no it didn't hurt lol...

I believe/heard you get a 2.2 d4d t spirit with a 150bhp and then you get a 2.2 d4d t spirit with a 180bhp...which i hear the 180bhp t spirit model is the highest model/version toyota made...in terms of power and luxury/toys...is this true?

HI Guys n Girls (?)

Had a thought today...no it didn't hurt lol...

I believe/heard you get a 2.2 d4d t spirit with a 150bhp and then you get a 2.2 d4d t spirit with a 180bhp...which i hear the 180bhp t spirit model is the highest model/version toyota made...in terms of power and luxury/toys...is this true?

Hi Sam,

Could you handle 180 bhp !!!

Seems there is a 180 bhp T4 but not in the CAT version.

http://www.parkers.c...is/saloon-2009/

Have you not seen that car yet ?

I'd would be geting concerned about not being able to see it after almost a week , why are they taking so long ?

In all honesty Sam if the 2.2's going to do a lot of short 10 mile journeys, then the cat will barely ever get warm enough to do it's job properly. This means the regeneration cycle will have to kick in more regularly to keep the system clean. I'd either buy a petrol (because diesel particulate filters are VERY expensive to replace) or make sure you take it for a 30-40 ml run at least once a week - preferably on a motorway or dual carriageway. Mine does a 75 ml trip at least once a week & it rarely needs to regenerate, nor do I see any puffs of smoke. Accelerating hard onto a motorway (where safely possible) through the gears is a good way to get the system hot enough to purge itself.

In all honesty Sam if the 2.2's going to do a lot of short 10 mile journeys, then the cat will barely ever get warm enough to do it's job properly. This means the regeneration cycle will have to kick in more regularly to keep the system clean. I'd either buy a petrol (because diesel particulate filters are VERY expensive to replace) or make sure you take it for a 30-40 ml run at least once a week - preferably on a motorway or dual carriageway. Mine does a 75 ml trip at least once a week & it rarely needs to regenerate, nor do I see any puffs of smoke. Accelerating hard onto a motorway (where safely possible) through the gears is a good way to get the system hot enough to purge itself.

Hi Guys,

I can't thank you ALL enough for your input on this topic of mine...but i'm glad to say the 2.2 diesel saga is "out the window" lol, we went down to see it today and we decided it wasn't for us, all your comments had a big effect on helping us make that decision...

However on the way home we stopped at a local Toyota Dealer on the way home and just happended to come across a 2.0 V MATIC Avensis T4 which had all the toys + leather satnav...it was like love at 1st sight and at a resonable price with just 23k on it...so now its V MATIC research time...what do ya say guys??? :dontgetit:

Are those auto gearboxes with paddle shift gears are reason for concern????

Just to check that you know that VMatic (Valvematic) refers to the engine & not the transmission?

The manual 2.0 only has 5bhp more than the 1.8 & worse mpg - if that car does have an auto box mpg will probably be worse again.