Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Particulator Filter

Aqualung666

I was reading an article which I think was by the AA (that's Automobile Association in the Uk!) which was basically advising people who do short journeys to work etc not to purchase Diesel engines as this type of journey doesn't allow the DPF to clear out and eventually leads to failure and a bill of £1000.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has experienced a problem with their DPF on a RAV. My journey to work is only 20 minutes and much of that is stopping and starting so it never really warms the engine up. I do longer journeys at the weekend but this apparently isn't enough to avoid problems later down the line.

Not a DPF fault as such but my last Rav, a 59 plate with 12k on the clock at the time, threw a wobbler on the M66, loss of power, huge cloud of smoke out of the back and the engine management light on. I 'limped' straight towards the dealer with it but after two to three miles it had righted itself. They offered to clean or replace an offending egr valve which was apparently restricted or blocked. I requested a new one which was fitted the following day. Our cars get a mixture of long and short runs, to be fair to the old Rav it was doing shorter runs at that particular time. Anyway, we ran it up to 33k before changing it and it never missed another beat.

As long as the car is having a good run on the weekends then you'll be fine. I would get the car upto temp and stay in the lower gears (Around 3000/+ Rpm) or take it up some hills. Using V-Power derv can help as well as using BG244 in the fuel every 10,000mls.

Take a look at the powerenhancers web site and use code "Clearance" for a 20% discount and free postage. And don't forget they have a 100% money back guarantee! So if something doesn't work you'll get all your dosh back and would have had the producy for FREE... :eat::drunk:

its on my mind about the dpf, only do 25-27 miles return journey each weekday. Thankfully the roadworks that hampered my speed on the motorway have long gone, so i get the engine to warm up quicker now. After over 5000 miles on new engine though i have never had a puff of white smoke (apparently dpf regenerating). i do a few decent journeys on motorways on some weekend.

Is a white puff of smoke a good sign? ie dpf has purged all the bad stuff.

Or if all is running ok, use the right fuels, and do decent journeys, should you never see a puff of smoke?

You will probably still see it from time to time.