Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Rav 4

willio

I am currently looking at a rav 4 and could do with some help deciding which one.

I will mainly be using it for camping trips, transporting a large dog to agility show but also need it for getting to work which I do a small bit of travelling with from place to place ( about 150 -200 miles per week). I dont particularly use the back seats so would prefer a swb with the seats down and have a dog guard installed.

My budget is approximately £7000.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to which one may be suitable for my needs? Any help appreciated.

With your budget you are into current Rav territory (known as the 4.3). Trouble is it isn't available in SWB / 3dr guise. It's 5dr only. If you definitely want a 3dr you're gonna have to go to the previous model (4.2). Pretty sure you'll be able to get a very tidy low mileage, high spec model for well within budget. The 4.2's rear seats are completely removeable unlike the 4.3 so that could be an added bonus. I've been running a petrol 4.2 5dr since December and it's been absolutely great. I think petrol engined Rav owners tend to have little or no reliability issues with their cars, only issue is fuel consumption. I'm struggling to get 30mpg average at the moment from mixed driving.

As mentioned, feel consumption on petrol RAV4.2 is poor.

Occasional rear seat user ..... If you know EXACTLY when you will need the rear seats, then the removable seats on the 4.2 can be a real bonus, but ... They do take up room if just folded up and tilted forward, whereas the drop-down rear seats on the 4.3 give you a nice flat space and you still have the seats in the car should you need them.

The SWB RAV4.2 is a great car, but the boot space with seats in place is very small, and even with the seats tilted forwards is not that brilliant. The RAV4.3 boot space is, IMO, amazing. I was at Bookers cash&carry this morning and got two complete trolly loads of drinks (about 100 litres of cans and bottles in total) in the boot without even having to fold the seats.

Personally, I would say a RAV4.3 would be the best option in terms of overall flexibility for dogs and camping, and a the kind of age in your budget, probably petrol to avoid the possible 2.2D oil issue that cold affect the diesel cars of that age (unless you find one with a replacement engine?)

Thanks for the replies and advice. You have both given me some food for thought and also raised the issue of my next question, diesel, petrol or convert it to lpg?

Hoovie, Id be happy to get rid of the back seats permanently and just use the whole of the back for the dog, I just know id be happier with a swb for parking etc (yes Im female!)

A word of warning - You can't get rid of the rear seats completely as you'll need them at MOT time. My MOT is due tomorrow so I now have the annual task of lugging them from my spare room. If you are sub 12,000 miles I'd go petrol. Converting to LPG really depends on your annual mileage but I'd imagine you'd need to be doing well above average mileage to break even any time soon. You'll need to do the maths on that one!