Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible New Owner - Are There Any Problems With The Aygo?

ztoon

Hello, I have the opportunity to get a second hand AYGO 1.0 VVT-I Blue MMT semi-automatic but before jumping in the band wagon and getting a car that I think looks great and have always wanted, I wanted to know if there are any common issues to watch for. If anyone knows of any common issues or recalls relating to this car could you please advise me? I had a look on google and found that the water seals can be an issue but have also found that the water pump and ECU can be prone to problems. I can't afford another car that will fall apart in a few months (my 2003 Clio was replaced due to non-starting issues and the Corsa that I replaced it with now has a major ECU and clutch problem that will cost me over £1000 to sort!) As you can imagine I'm not too confident in cars just now after a run of failures so I want to try and do as much research as possible before making a commitment. Any input is greatfully received - thank you in advance :)

WIth any car you can never guarantee that you wont have any problems, but I could safely say that the Aygo has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned. It is the 5th car I have owned from new, and is the only one to give me no problems at all in the first year of ownership.

I you have a browse of this forum you will see that people have had minor issues, but they generally easy to fix, and you will find a lot more positive comments than negative!

At least if you do have any problems the parts are generally cheap and easy to fit, and because the Aygo/C1/107 use the same parts they are very widely available.

I say go for it!

Hello, by chance Auto Express car mag has a Aygo used car buyers guide in current issue number 1236 only in the shops for today and Tuesday.

I have the very same car you are looking at, I've had some of the more common problems, IE water pump , water leak in boot ( high level brake light ).

Other things that could need looking at if your buying one, are rear wheel cylinders can leak, exhaust back box mounting can rust off early.

As to the MMT gearbox ...bit like Marmite, i love it but many dislike or can't get use to the idea that its a mnual gearbox being worked by electronics. works well if not pushed to hard but will be jerky in 1st gear until you've mastered a smooth pull away.

Its fun, its cheeky, very low running costs, you just need to find a good one......good luck.

The MMT' s definitely like Marmite, and after having one for two years I'd avoid it like the plague! Not only is it a royal pain (it loves to change gear when you're half way across a busy road when turning right, or will sit steadfastly in fourth at 50mph on a straight road) but it also eats clutches and due to its complexities you really need to go to MrT for the replacement which carries with it a hefty price tag.

The MMT 'box aside, the Aygo a great little car. I'm on my third now and as mentioned by others, besides small niggles (which all cars have) and some peculiar design choices (a boot lid which deposits water into the boot when it's raining,the "optional" glove-box door, and the interior light which only operates on the drivers door for example) it's a good looking,quirky runabout!

Thanks for all the replies :) I am quite keen on the aygo so am waiting to see if I can arrange my mechanic to come with me and check it out :) Unfortunately the MMT box is a must - I can't drive a manual car so I'm more used to a semi or full automatic gearbox than most people (just wish that they didn't come with so many problems!!) I love the look of the aygo but tbh I'm more impressed with the MPG and the cost of road tax. None of the cars I've had before have have managed more than 35mpg, so it would be great to have a little car like the aygo that doesn't eat fuel faster than I can eat a bar of chocolate !!! I'm hoping to get the mechanic to check the car over the next few days if the seller still has it, if not I'm going to keep looking - thanks everyone!!

The MMT gearbox works so much better in manual mode, although still needs a little respect at juctions to prevent a jerky pull away. Give the car of your choice a long roadtest in traffic, as B roads or motorways its just perfect........well i say perfect, if you buy one with air/con you will need to turn it off going up hill, it saps engine power big time :)

Thanks for the tip about the air con :) It seems to be harder to find a full auto Aygo than the MMT semi-auto so the tip about the air con is handy (thank you :) ) And thanks Richard Overfield about the tip regarding the parts - my mechanic wasn't aware of that so it's going to be cheaper for repairs than he was telling me previous (touchwood!!) I'm going to make sure, as suggested that I take it on a nice long test drive to make sure it runs ok and is comfortable for me to drive :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this car is still available - my mechanic can't come see it with me until Friday and it's a private seller who wasn't too keen to hold it for me (I can understand that though.)

They only make the Aygo in a semi-auto MMT, so don't go looking for a full auto as you'll look for a long time.

None of the cars I've had before have have managed more than 35mpg, ....

My wife is also auto only so we have similar experience. One reason for MMTs and CVTs being used on small cars is because the losses in what some people call 'proper' autos (meaning the Borg-Warner style with a torque converter) become a substantial part of the output of a small engine. Hence lousy mpg. It's not good on bigger engines, but if you are running a 2-3 litre monster you probably aren't so bothered about a few lost mpg :)

It is well known that the Aygo leaked water when it rains, often in different places but usually the passenger floor well and the book where the spare wheel is collects water. Some leaks were due to poor door seals, A piller, rear lights. My 2011 leakes after 3 weeks from new, but Toyota added extra seals to the doors and this has solved it. So Water from my point of view! have a good look in the boot, in the spare wheel well and have a good sniff in the car for a damp small. Also feel the passenger carpet for dampness. Other that that I have a headlight mist up ( changed under warranty) but normal price £100 and the leather wheel has started peeling ( wear and tare according to toyota!)

On the plus side usually get 50 MPG, 26000 on the same tyres, cheap tax, never broken down!

• 1 month later...

I've had leaks in the back of the car, my water pump is leaking now so i need a New one still not changing my Car :) Love my Aygo

The clutch goes every 30k miles.

Apart from that they are really tough cars. I must admit to giving my Aygo serious abuse for years, apart from the clutch everything stands up