Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch And Go - Opinions

Lorna2

Is the sat nav any good on the touch and go? Is it mostly up to date and easy to use? I've got Toyota Touch and am thinking of upgrading... :)

I have the basic Toyota Touch system on my Verso S and was quoted approx £ 800 to upgrade it

When I tried a new Yaris with the touch and Go fitted I was a little disappointed at the Sat Nav

I decided in the end to purchase an after market Garmin Sat Nav with free lifetime map updates for about £ 150

What did you not like about the Toyota Go? Was it hard to use? Or was it not accurate enough? I kind of prefer the idea of having something built in rather than sucked onto the windscreen. Ha ha - that's what Toyota wants us to think ;)

I don't know much about sat nav so I'll have to do a bit of reading on the aftermarket ones. I don't even know where to connect it up ...yet, but I'll soon find out. So far I've only had time to look at http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&noLeftMenu=true&fullwidth=TRUE&nodiv=TRUE&edname=CC2-Touch-and-go-landing&zone=Zone+Cars&id=TouchandGo-landing#faqs

Tesco is doing an offer of £20 off Tom Tom. Is that brand any good?

Maybe the best thing to know would be the sat nav to avoid.

I found the Toyota Go on the Yaris that I tried just a bit complex to set up compared to the aftermarket units

I was also put of by the costs of the Toyota unit which was originally advertised at approx £ 500 when shown in the Verso S Catalogue but was unavailable when I bought the car.........To fit it retrospectively was going to cost me £ 800 !

I would have liked the built in system but could not justify the price, so went ahead and bought the Garmin system with the advantage of free for life map updates

I have no experience of Tom Tom bit have used Garmin and Navman sat navs before

I've had Toyota sat navs on my last 4 Toyotas. Generally easy to use and as up to date as you want to pay for. The current car, a new Yaris Hybrid with the touch and go seems as easy to use, up to date? No idea yet :)

It's different to the others inasmuch as it shows speed limits (not always correct as the local council seems to lower speed limits instead of repairing crap*y roads.) And the nice lady I've had in the last 4 cars has now been replaced by a younger model!

As a 'guidance' instead of blind obedience, it suits me and as above I hate the idea of a removable unit, it gives the scroats more encouragement to break in and look for it!

Built in SatNavs become obsolete very quickly and are very costly to upgrade vis a vis removable units.

For those who like to spend money on what is usually a (vastly) inferior product in my view. And secondhand car buyers tend to value them accordingly. (for obvious reasons- out of date technology when the car is older)

Built in SatNavs become obsolete very quickly and are very costly to upgrade vis a vis removable units.

For those who like to spend money on what is usually a (vastly) inferior product in my view. And secondhand car buyers tend to value them accordingly. (for obvious reasons- out of date technology when the car is older)

I agree. My wife bought a new Yaris twelve months ago, it had touch and go as part of a promotion by Toyota. As said many of the local speed limits are out of date, there is no update available yet. It bawls out 'You are exceeding the speed limit' when accelerating down a motorway sliproad at say 50m.p.h. Since many speed limits in all parts of the country are being lowered it may indicate 40m.p.h as the limit when it is in fact 30m.p.h. I simply do not trust it! Even when an update is available it will be out of date. As I said on my wifes car the touch and go was 'free' but I certainly would not pay for it. Another little angle on this, the car has a reversing camera, very useful, It is an MOT failure if it does not work!

no doubt expensive to replace.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Indeed tom-tom and garmin are probably cheaper and easier to update, but where I live if you so much as leave the mounting bracket on view the side windows disappear in a cloud of glass chips whilst the scroats sort through your glove box and under the seats on the off chance that you have forgotten to take the satnav indoors....

Frankly I'd rather have an intact car and a slightly out of date map ( my road atlas is 1998 version :) )

After all, road signs are pretty good these days :laugh:

Indeed tom-tom and garmin are probably cheaper and easier to update, but where I live if you so much as leave the mounting bracket on view the side windows disappear in a cloud of glass chips whilst the scroats sort through your glove box and under the seats on the off chance that you have forgotten to take the satnav indoors....

Frankly I'd rather have an intact car and a slightly out of date map ( my road atlas is 1998 version :) )

Indeed. When we lived in Southampton I had a car window smashed once on the basis of a rubber suction cap mark on the windscreen. The Sat Nav was in the glove box and they got away with it. I heard them, ran out and came within inches of pushing one of the little buggers off their bike. Luckily I didn't or I'd be the one they would of locked up !!! Where I live now I've seen cars with sat nav's in for weeks on end and they don't get touched.

I got the Touch & Go Sat Nav option, yes it's expensive and updating it costs, but I don't go too far and can accept a few errors or old map details here and there. I'd never trust a sat Nav for speed limits as these can change rather quickly anyway. What I like is the speed camera warnings even when the Sat Nav isn't on and directing me.

Indeed. When we lived in Southampton I had a car window smashed once on the basis of a rubber suction cap mark on the windscreen. The Sat Nav was in the glove box and they got away with it. I heard them, ran out and came within inches of pushing one of the little buggers off their bike. Luckily I didn't or I'd be the one they would of locked up !!! Where I live now I've seen cars with sat nav's in for weeks on end and they don't get touched.

I got the Touch & Go Sat Nav option, yes it's expensive and updating it costs, but I don't go too far and can accept a few errors or old map details here and there. I'd never trust a sat Nav for speed limits as these can change rather quickly anyway. What I like is the speed camera warnings even when the Sat Nav isn't on and directing me.

Be careful with the speed camera warnings. Fixed cameras most prbably, but a 'Safety Parnership' speed van parks on the main road where I live from time to time and the Touch and Go does not register it.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Be careful with the speed camera warnings. Fixed cameras most prbably, but a 'Safety Parnership' speed van parks on the main road where I live from time to time and the Touch and Go does not register it.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Cheers Geoff. I have a lifetime membership on a Safety Camera Site, I managed to spot one that wasn't on their data base. They also have an app on the iPhone which I run when I don't know the area that well. This has one of the most up to date lists and lists all the mobile sites too. Now that I don't need to run my CoPilot app I can run that and use the Touch & Go to direct me.

I got my Sav Nav as a freebie when i got my 2012 SR ,

Personally it is average for a sav nav system , but as with all sat navs you use it for reference only and dont rely on it totally. As to paying over £100 for updates is just plan silly. Also i find the system a bit slow and sometime very unresponsive.

I currently have the 1.7.4 version running , but there is a forum elsewhere that you can 'acquire' the latest version with the updated maps. P.S you have to be quite technical and if you proceed , it is at your own risk ;)

For heads up information , i use my iPhone with an app called Waze , its handy for traffic conditions and also warns me about speed cameras , accidents , police etc etc. Also i have TomTom app on my iPhone which i occassionally use over the built in sat nav.

I agree. My wife bought a new Yaris twelve months ago, it had touch and go as part of a promotion by Toyota. As said many of the local speed limits are out of date, there is no update available yet. It bawls out 'You are exceeding the speed limit' when accelerating down a motorway sliproad at say 50m.p.h. Since many speed limits in all parts of the country are being lowered it may indicate 40m.p.h as the limit when it is in fact 30m.p.h. I simply do not trust it! Even when an update is available it will be out of date. As I said on my wifes car the touch and go was 'free' but I certainly would not pay for it. Another little angle on this, the car has a reversing camera, very useful, It is an MOT failure if it does not work!

Regards Geoff Peace.

If the nice young lady is bawling at you 'cos you're speeding you have two options.

First switch her off on the options page, or second don't speed!

All this baloney about satnavs really pe*s me off.... What the hell did we do before satnavs?? The road signs are much better now than they ever were and we didn't get lost or drive down railway lines or through farmyards....

It doesn't matter one jot if the satnav is out of date, you all have eyes, you all have a brain... Use them!

Satnavs are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Regards Geoff Peace.

If the nice young lady is bawling at you 'cos you're speeding you have two options.

All this baloney about satnavs really pe*s me off.... What the hell did we do before satnavs?? The road signs are much better now than they ever were and we didn't get lost or drive down railway lines or through farmyards....

It doesn't matter one jot if the satnav is out of date, you all have eyes, you all have a brain... Use them!

In an ideal world with perfectly signed roads, I would agree with you.

But if you are on a road you don't know and the road is busy and you are on your own and the road is festooned with signs "Slow", "no left turn" etc etc.. and the lorry on your left blocks your view of the signs and street names..

then NOTHING beats a good satnav with up to date maps.

NOTHING...

Try navigating in a city you do not know with several one way systems...

Regards Geoff Peace.

My point is quite simple. Touch and go registers several incorrect speed limits within five miles of my home. It tells me I am exceeding the speed limit when I am not! Very unreliable. 'The voice' only shouts at you when you are 10m.p.h. over the limit anyway, so 40 m.p.h. in a 30m.p.h. limit! not a great deal of help, much better to rely on the speedometer.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Geoff, you can turn the warnings off, simple to do and the only warnings you get then are when the displayed limit turns red which you probably wouldn't see anyway if you're looking at all the signs!

The incorrect speed limits are a pain, our local council lowers them instead of resurfacing the damaged road surfaces. We have a motorway class dual carriageway near us which is 50mph, reduced from 70 about 4 years ago when the surface broke up.... It saves them paying compensation for damaged vehicles!

Geoff, you can turn the warnings off, simple to do and the only warnings you get then are when the displayed limit turns red which you probably wouldn't see anyway if you're looking at all the signs!

The incorrect speed limits are a pain, our local council lowers them instead of resurfacing the damaged road surfaces. We have a motorway class dual carriageway near us which is 50mph, reduced from 70 about 4 years ago when the surface broke up.... It saves them paying compensation for damaged vehicles!

I shall study the handbook this weekend to find out how to turn off the warnings. Thanks for the information.

Regards Geoff Peace.

I shall study the handbook this weekend to find out how to turn off the warnings. Thanks for the information.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Did you find the instructions ok Geoff?

Regards Geoff Peace.

Did you find the instructions ok Geoff?

No, not yet. I was intending to look on Sunday but then something very peculiar happened. The rain stopped and I saw a yellow disc in the sky which took me some time to remember what it was! So my wife and I took the opportunity to go out for a change. I do not know what the weather has been like in your neck of the woods but here it is like being under house arrest with all the rain. However I will be looking into your suggestion as soon as possible. Thankyou once again for your help

Regards Geoff Peace.

There is a rumour that the bright yellow disc you saw was called 'the Sun' - nothing to do with the newspaper of the same name I would add, but apparently just as popular.

I am reliably informed that if you blink while the disc is visible you may miss it.

Make the most of this apparition - it may not last long!

I have had my Yaris HSD since end of September. It is far and away the best car I have ever driven if all aspects are taken into account. Smoother than a previous Lexus 300, Faster than my previous 2008 Yaris MMT. Economy in real world hovers around 54mpg (16"wheels, Very quiet unless driven like a magazine reviewer, Rock steady at any speed no understeer or oversteer in the real world, fantastic from the lights. When in ' Stealth Mode ' as we like to call silent EV mode you need to keep an eye open for pedestrians who do not know you are about to run them over.

So I got the Touch and Go installed today! Very happy with it so far :) I used it on the way home just to test it and it didn't make any mistakes

Touch and Go - Things to know.

I recently posted about the HSD Yaris and also the SatNav. I have been rying things out to find the best route for best economy in the HSD. I stupidly thought that Toyota's 'Eco Route' option would be configured for the HSD but it isn't. Fuel economy in the HSD is, of course, best in stop start driving and cities. I tried the 'Eco' option in one direction of 50 miles and then returned using the 'Shortest' option. The journey did take 10 minutes longer but it was 15% better on fuel. The other bonus was little or no traffic and we found several nice stopping points worth calling back to for lunch etc on another occasion. It seems that you need to pick the shortest for best economy. Give it a try and let us have a post here.

Slightly off topic but using the Touch and Go setup: I had a Yaris 1.3 before this 1.5 HSD and used the 97 RON fuel most of the time because although it is 5% dearer to buy I found over 3 years that it was consistently around 10% better on mileage, I have just filled up the HSD with 97 RON (Super) and on the journey back of only a few miles it also seems to be much better so I'll keep a proper check and post again. The fuel computer seems to be a bit hit and miss however - sometimes over estimating consumption and sometimes under. I therefore keep a careful log using fill ups and actual litres - the last 3 tanks have returned an average of 53 mpg (without trying). I can also confirm that at a steady 70 mph I am getting an average 54 mpg on regular 95 RON fuel taking hills into account. I know it is nnot supposed to make any difference but - it does.

54mpg for a heavy automatic that is new ain't bad... That's pretty much what I'm getting on a tank/tank measure.

If, however the Yaris follows the two Prius I've had then by next spring with a nice run in engine and warm weather I would be expecting nearer 70mpg. The premium go-go juice remains up for discussion :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys here's a problem... The first I've ever had in 25 years of Toyota's....

Touch and go. Fine, I'm getting to like the bird in the glove box, not a pretty sight but I don't have to look at her.

However therein lies my problem.

I have put 1070 music mp3's on a usb stick. Picks up immediately plays fine, but every now and again it stops and displays 'stopped' on the screen.

So far I have found neither any way of starting it again, nor the reason for it stopping.

However, i did notice that it displays the track playing as 159/720 or whatever, so I assume that it is playing track 159 of 720 tracks... What happened to the other 300 or so and is the reason for it stopping the excess of tracks?

Of course the only way I have found of restarting the thing is to unplug it and plug it in again, which given the damn stupid location is not practical at 70mph on a motorway!!

Any comments, observations, thoughts, solutions please??