Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Auris Advice.

Big Kev

Hello Auris Folks,

I am usually to be found on The Rav pages (talking rubbish), but just last night purchased a 2009 Auris 1.6 vvti on behalf of a nephew. It has only done 8,500 miles due to failing health of its aging owner (who is one brill guy....thanks Boab.).

Any input in what to check over would be greatly appreciated, bearing in mind to the best of my knowledge it has had its annual service faithfully.

It has spent some time sitting still, obviously, so will be changing brake fluid, gearbox oil, and anything else you guys 'n' gals recommend. Will also check for corroded brake discs and tyre cracking.

Thanks in advance,

Big Kev

Since you have mentioned its been stood still for a while.

Wouldnt bother with the gearbox oil considering how low mileage it is.

Worth checking the rear brakes are not binding

Air filter recommended to be changed as its probably been gathering dust

Annual service could just be an oil change, I would recommend a full service spark plugs, oil and filter and air filter - maybe clean the MAF sensor whilst your at it too located ontop of the airbox.

Check coolant levels and brake fluid

Tyre wear will still be like new but check over including pressures

Wipers again just a check over

bulbs etc the list goes on.

*Battery it either may need charging or replacing considering its been stood still you may suffer hard starting in the colder weather

A full service should do the trick, ready for winter.

Reset the ECU by disconnecting the Battery terminals for a few minutes will reset everything, and will adapt to your driving style since its been parked up or since it has done low miles the fuel economy may increase with a reset.

With the low miliage the Iridium Spark Plugs fitted to your 1ZR - FE engine should not need changing till about 60.000 miles

Doing so would be a waste of money cos they are not cheap.

They will not have suffered by lack of use.

Do NOT try to regap these plugs.

If the car was not parked under cover it would pay to give things like door hinges,bonnet and hatch hinges and catches a drop of oil. If you have a torqe wrench or can loan one just check out your wheel nuts.

Dont forget the spare wheels tyre pressure.

Good Luck.

Air conditioning would be top of the list for me. Regular use is essential (and it should really be on all year) to prevent leakage from the various seals in the system. Unlike a domestic fridge/freezer vehicle systems are not hermetically sealed. A proper regas (and I would say use Toyota as they will use the correct specified PAG oil) could be a wise investment.

Thanks all and nice to hear from regular contributor on Rav Club, Peter McAcetip. All points shall be attended to, possibly including gearbox oil due to condensation build up internally with oil (somebody tells me...).

Big mate Bob only giving up this pride and joy due to health / age issues.....I wish him the very best.:thumbsup:

Big Kev.

I'm not 100% but I think the plastic door stays/check straps on the doors aren't designed to be lubricated.. Has anyone else heard of this? I'm sure it was here where I read it!

I'm not 100% but I think the plastic door stays/check straps on the doors aren't designed to be lubricated.. Has anyone else heard of this? I'm sure it was here where I read it!

Yes they do lok like they are plastic (coated?)

The door straps are much better protected than in older cars and are "within" the first outer door seal and so not exposed directly to the outside. Easy to add a dab of grease or oil to the outer pivot but squirt and hope for the inner, which shouldn't be needed on a newish car.

Picked up the Auris today (8432 miles since first registered 3/2009). Was last given the equivalent of a 10k service in 3/2010. so every fluid in this wee car will be getting the heave-ho, possibly by Mr.T to keep book stamped to some extent.

Had never driven one before, and allowing for the fact it is a naturally aspirated wee beastie, it is not the quickest, but is a totally effortless motorway cruiser. Like driving a brick on wheels.Most impressed.

Thanks again for help,

Big Kev :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery terminals for a few minutes will reset everything, and will adapt to your driving style since its been parked up or since it has done low miles the fuel economy may increase with a reset.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hi-jack an old thread but when you say "Resets" everything when you do this does it really mean everything? I'm a little concerned I'll loose clock settings, radio stores, and the use of my iPod connector if I attempt this?? Am interested in doing it though because of my trip computer.

You will lose all settings on the radio and the clock and so on but its only 5 minutes to retune and reset the clock.