Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 2 Oil, Again!

timberwolf

Apparently, Toyota have changed their minds yet again.

For the last two years, the dealer has been most emphatic that Toyota says the Gen 2 Prius can only use 5W-30 fuel efficient spec oil and not 0W-20. If you search the web that advice did seem pretty consistent since 2004 right up until my service last year.

My 2008 owners manual did make reference in a chart to the preferred oil being 0W-20, but on the first service the original dealer I think used a 0W-30. But ever since, I've always assumed that the authors of my late Gen 2 owners manual must have made a mistake by putting the oil information intended for the future Gen 3.

I've booked the annual service this year to find that Toyota say that 0W-20 fuel efficient spec oil is the correct one for my 2008 Prius. As I have done since new, I ask what grade oil and brand they are going to use. I've asked the dealer and spoken to customer relations, no one seems to be able to answer what I thought was a rather obvious question (and that some customers were likely to ask?), and that is why has it changed and why wasn't it okay last year or the year before but now it is the preferred oil for a Gen 2 engine at least of 2008 vintage?

I currently have various feelings, confusion obviously, but also annoyance and worry. As I wonder who the change is really to benefit, the dealer or the customer?

Gen 2 is still 5w 30 as far as I'm concerned, ive not seen anything to the contrary, not that it would harm your Gen 2 if you put 0w 20 in it

Kingo :thumbsup:

560218885_o.jpg

Left-hand not knowing what the right-hand is doing. It doesn't look too good from a customer prespective that different departments have different information.

As for harm, the oils must have different properties that rely on the design of the engine otherwise why not just have a single type called oil!

Could be the service department making it 'easier' by using 0w20 for all hybrids?

Gen 2 is 5w-30

Gen3 is 0w-20

No argument from the dealers should be accepted. By now they should all know the situation as should lease companies.

Johalareewi may be right, especially as the Yaris Hybrid also uses 0w-20

As for harm, the oils must have different properties that rely on the design of the engine otherwise why not just have a single type called oil!

Because "Oil" needs to be flexible for all sorts of motoring conditions. If you lived in Scandanavia, you would benefit from a different oil to that used in the Sahara. In the UK the Gen 2 is 5w 30, but thats not to say you cannot use 0w 20, it will not do harm to the engine, but it will increase the "whole life costs" of your car, because 0w 20 is more expensive than 5w 30

I am pretty sure that the Toyota GB Customer Relations chap who rang me back knew I was in the UK, Toyota have my details in their computer, he said he had checked with the Technical department and the preferred oil for my 2008 Prius was 0W-20.

I am pretty sure that the Toyota GB Customer Relations chap who rang me back knew I was in the UK, Toyota have my details in their computer, he said he had checked with the Technical department and the preferred oil for my 2008 Prius was 0W-20.

They can't even get the oil level right, why should we expect them to use the right oil too! :-(

Rather depressing really.

The invoice for my last service says that 'Mobil Hybrid Engine Oil (0W-20)' was used.

Gen 2 is 5 30w but can run on 0 20 if you want.

Gen 3 is 0 20w

Yaris is 0 20w as it is a redesigned 1.5 litre engine not the same as in a gen 2 Prius

Alex

I can't recall any previous car that has had so many changes to oil SAE grade. I forgot earlier that the when talking about oil the ACEA spec is also important at least for 5W-30 that comes in a number of different specs.

I blame Toyota for much of the confusion, for example with the Gen 3, it became evident from members experiences that Toyota was saying different oil specs depending on whether it was to a private owner or the fleet companies.

Ta. Was the invoiced Mobil oil a change from the previous time that the car was serviced at the same dealer?

It doesn't state the oil grade used, but if the price charged is anything to go by (£23-31 vs. £31-30 +VAT) I would say yes.

It was included as part of a Full+ fixed-price service by the way.

I can't recall any previous car that has had so many changes to oil SAE grade. I forgot earlier that the when talking about oil the ACEA spec is also important at least for 5W-30 that comes in a number of different specs.

I blame Toyota for much of the confusion, for example with the Gen 3, it became evident from members experiences that Toyota was saying different oil specs depending on whether it was to a private owner or the fleet companies.

Gen 2 has always been 5w 30, nothing confusing over that

The confusion came with whole life vehicle costs where Toyota said fleet cars could use 5w 30 to save costs. This was later changed to 0w 20 and that took a long time to be taken on board by dealers and fleet maintanance companies. In fact, if you take a look at some oil websites (Castrol for instance) 5w 30 is STILL the recommended oil and 0w 20 is the ALTERNATIVE oil, that is not Toyota's fault