Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E12 Clutch Woes Sorted!

Brandane

I have read numerous posts on here while trying to sort out the clutch on my E12 (a 2006 1600 petrol, colour collection with 54k miles on the clock), so I thought I would share my experience to try and lump the various solutions into one post.

My clutch has been pretty awful for a while; heavy rubbery feel, and squeaking operation that have really had a bad effect on the whole driving experience. I even got as far as phoning my local(ish) Mr T dealer, but the price quoted for a new clutch assembly of over £600 made me consider other things first!

After some research on this forum and other on-line sources, I decided to firstly replace the clutch hydraulic fluid. In the Haynes manual it says that the clutch hydraulic fluid shares the reservoir with the brake fluid. This is true; but there must be some sort of partition in the reservoir, because when you are bleeding the clutch system, the fluid level in the reservoir does not appear to drop. Very confusing, but I read this thread and all was explained. I then replaced my clutch hydraulic fluid using a Gunsons "eezi-bleed" system (which works off air pressure from a spare wheel). The old fluid was very dark and contaminated with some dirty sludge. After this, the clutch was certainly lighter and just had a much better "feel" to it, but the pedal squeak remained.

Next job was to get under the dash to lubricate the pedal spring and pivots. Easy enough once you take off the plastic cover above the pedal mechanism, which is held on by 2 screws. You might have to be a bit of a contortionist to get to see what you are trying to do!! Use white grease, or some sort of aerosol lubricant that will stick for a while (i.e not WD40 or you will be back doing this next week again). I used ACF50, great stuff but not cheap.

So now the pedal operation is a bit smoother, but still an annoying noise coming from under the bonnet when pressing the clutch! The cause of this appears to be the clutch actuating rod, which is located at the front of the gearbox (very easy to access), just to the right of the clutch hydraulic bleed nipple (all part of the master cylinder IIRC?). This is covered by a small rubber bellow type gaitor. Pull this sleeve back to expose the actuating rod, and again using some good quality lubricant, spray it or pack it into the housing and/or rubber gaitor. Replace the gaitor onto the lip on the housing, and then savour the smooth, noise free operation of your clutch! It has transformed my car TBH.

on YouTube relates to locating the rubber gaitor on a D4D model, but it is similar on the 1600 petrol.

Good luck, it is very easy to do all 3 of these jobs, and is certainly less painful than paying £600 for a clutch assembly, or about £200 for a replacement master cylinder!

Hi Brandane

Glad you sorted it out,this will help a lot of people on here Well explained too

Hi Brandane

Glad you sorted it out,this will help a lot of people on here Well explained too

Thanks Gasmater. I have sent a PM to admin to see if they want to include it in the "Corolla how to fix ......" pinned thread. It could save folk having to search the web for answers, especially when there seems to be a few different causes of the problem!