Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I Have To Pay?

Stevekynge

Hi Guys,

New to this, so please bear with me;-

It looks like I have the dreaded CHG fault; - car is an 08 plate T180 Avensis hatch, with 80K on the clock.

Issue started with no cabin heater, checking coolant showed this was low, topped up the coolant, and the heater worked, but the coolant carried on dropping, I took it into the local Toyota dealer for a check up, this by the way, is where I bought the car from, I bought it brand new, and have had it serviced by this Toyota dealer on time every time. They said it was showing signs of the CHG leaking, bit of a shock, a week later they took it in for examination, and told me that if it was CHG, that Toyota would probably contribute toward the repair, I took the car in with all my service docs, and the garage did some deeper investigations, they have now have told me that the tests are ‘inconclusive’ and that Toyota need more evidence. Toyota garage are taking more parts off to send more evidence to Head Office, but I’m getting a bit worried that this might cost me dearly, has anyone else had to pay for this ‘known issue’ and if so, can you let me know what to expect ££’s wise!

I thought this would have all been covered under the ‘known warranty’ issue that most guys on here seem to know all about.

Hi Guys,

New to this, so please bear with me;-

It looks like I have the dreaded CHG fault; - car is an 08 plate T180 Avensis hatch, with 80K on the clock.

Issue started with no cabin heater, checking coolant showed this was low, topped up the coolant, and the heater worked, but the coolant carried on dropping, I took it into the local Toyota dealer for a check up, this by the way, is where I bought the car from, I bought it brand new, and have had it serviced by this Toyota dealer on time every time. They said it was showing signs of the CHG leaking, bit of a shock, a week later they took it in for examination, and told me that if it was CHG, that Toyota would probably contribute toward the repair, I took the car in with all my service docs, and the garage did some deeper investigations, they have now have told me that the tests are ‘inconclusive’ and that Toyota need more evidence. Toyota garage are taking more parts off to send more evidence to Head Office, but I’m getting a bit worried that this might cost me dearly, has anyone else had to pay for this ‘known issue’ and if so, can you let me know what to expect ££’s wise!

I thought this would have all been covered under the ‘known warranty’ issue that most guys on here seem to know all about.

Hello and welcome to the forum, I don't think Toyota have a leg to stand on over this issue and should pay for all of the work. If all goes well for you I would consider having a new clutch fitted as there will be no labour costs as it has to be removed anyway. Have a look on here at the RAV forum at members Charliefarlie and Anchorman who will be able to give you more advice on this subject, maybe send them a PM.

Regards and good luck ... Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

My good mate Pete is correct here. You are well within the 112k 7 year limit for the TSB that covers the HG problem. Toyota will pay. Print off a copy and take it to the dealer.

Hi Pete and Mistermena,

Car back, all done and Mr T paid, phew!

Thanks for the info Pete, I did have new clutch fitted, service manager at Hull Toyota said it was good idea because of the reasons you stated above, and it (only) cost £214

Thanks for your help guys.

Steve.