Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disabling The Alarm Siren ?

gramps99

Morning,

We have a Rav4 nrg 1999 petrol sat under the window that has been off the road for around a year now, it hasn't had a Battery connected for months.

I used to just put it on charge every so often but after forgetting to do this a couple of times resulting in the alarm going off (and locking myself out the house early one Sunday morning when trying to shut the thing up) I took the Battery off for the sake of my neighbours.

I want to try and get the car back on the road, but as it has a few faults and isn't taxed I need to try and do some work on it, hence, me asking if I can stop the siren from working if the alarm goes off ?

I don't mind cutting the wires to it if that will work, but can't see it being that easy ? I just need to know 100% that the siren cannot go off no matter what. I know they probably have a backup Battery and don't want this to charge itself up then possibly go off later if I remove the main battery. My ultimate goal is no siren at all.

So any input greatly accepted

you should be able to just unplug the siren under the bonnet, it might beep for a bit whilst the back up Battery wears down. are you sure its a 1999 nrg. im sure its newer, is it manual or automatic. could i swap my diff for yours as im think yours might be a lsd rear diff.

Hi Gramps

Not heard from you for ages, I hope you are well.

I believe that if you put a healthy Battery on then lock the doors and then unlock it again, it will reset it.

All the best buddy.

Wear a large hearing aid so folk think you are deaf....

Wear a large hearing aid so folk think you are deaf....

Whit.....?

Thanks guys :)

Hi Don, I am fine ta, how's you ? Yeah not been on for a while I have been running round in a vw t4 for a while lol

Finally got a permanent job so looking to get the poor old Rav4 back on the road and use it ( the girlfriend now has the slightly newer, low mileage one that used to be mine) and I have to get her old one running again. It's got the good old sensor failure same as mine had and when last took for an MOT stalled ever time it came to a standstill Lol

really need peace of mind on this so if possible want to permanantely disable the siren, will just cutting the wires cause problems ??????

blinkin typical !! decide to have a look at the rav today....my back goes..grrr decide to soldier on, pop out and lift the bonnet its now piddling it down with rain !!

anyway i cant even see the siren ? looked for info on the position on the net and cant find anything. anybody know where it is please before i take a hammer to her.......

thanks in advance

SORTED lol

just to update for anybody that might end up here looking for the same answers as me >

the manufactures alarm siren is located under the Battery tray.

to disable the siren there is a grey electrical connector on the side of the metal Battery tray/stand, unclip this.

( i doubt this info is much use to a car thief as the alarm would be going off long before he could undo this connector :) )

• 4 years later...

Hi I tried to find the grey wire but cannot see it I noted two holding down bolts on tray then two more on side can't get my hands in to remove

has the metal tray got to be removed the only cabling I can see is a Copex under the tray 

wd all door locks opened and closed call doors to try release any stiff catches no result

having to leave off due to neighbours and shopping parking causing concern

any suggestions greatfully appreciated

KB 

• 4 years later...

Hi

I have found the siren connector next to the Battery and will disconnect it if necessary but now think the problem is probably due to the cabin movement sensor being too sensitive - I had the problem with an earlier RAV4. with the alarm going off at random a few times a day some years ago and the expensive, local Toyota agent re adjusted the control on the detector and all was well but this took time with a few journeys to the agent

As a retired electronic Engineer I am sure I can easily do this myself but cannot find the "Theft Detector ECU" on my 2003 UK rav in order to make the adjustment.

The RAV4 forum has a description of the whereabouts of the location of the module for a left hand drive car possibly behind the glovebox, but I cannot find it there or behind the fuse panel on the drivers side on my UK car.

Does anybody know where the movement sensor is located on my 2003 right hand drive RAV4 please?

Matty

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2022 at 9:35 PM, amatty said:

Hi

I have found the siren connector next to the battery and will disconnect it if necessary but now think the problem is probably due to the cabin movement sensor being too sensitive - I had the problem with an earlier RAV4. with the alarm going off at random a few times a day some years ago and the expensive, local Toyota agent re adjusted the control on the detector and all was well but this took time with a few journeys to the agent

As a retired electronic Engineer I am sure I can easily do this myself but cannot find the "Theft Detector ECU" on my 2003 UK rav in order to make the adjustment.

The RAV4 forum has a description of the whereabouts of the location of the module for a left hand drive car possibly behind the glovebox, but I cannot find it there or behind the fuse panel on the drivers side on my UK car.

Does anybody know where the movement sensor is located on my 2003 right hand drive RAV4 please?

Matty

Hi

Don't suppose you resolved your problem?  

I currently have been pondering the same, can't find the cabin sensor anywhere, left or right?  Nor can i fathom access to said grey connector under the Battery tray?  We continue...... 

Edited by Wagonwheel

I had a problem with the siren on mine going off fairy randomly and was convinced it was sensors but after a bit of checking I'm not even sure that the 4.2 has sensors as I certainly couldn't see any. Anyway, in my case it was the switch in the engine bay that tells the alarm if the bonnet has been opened.

One replacement bolt and the problem was solved.