Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Wheels - Advice Needed

Eightball

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction of finding some suitable wheels to fit snow tyres to for swaping out in the winter? Initially I was thinking steel but it looks like some alloy wheels are comparable in price??!! Obviously if this is the case then its a no brainer o get alloy?

The trouble is I know nothing about getting the right wheel for a car, except theres more to it than diameter.

The V5C has it down as a t25 Tspirit D-4D and it is an estate. Basically it looks like this and was made in 2009:-

i found on my tyres Dezent RE dark with Vredestein Snowtrac-3 205/55 R16 91 h that look ok. Can anyone tell me if they are suitable, or how to tell?

Many Thanks in advance

Ian

Hello Ian,

that car in the video is 100% a 2006 2.2 d4d 150 T-spirit which normally comes with 17" alloys but it could well have 16" wheels BUT here is where you need to be very careful ... the 2.2 d4d has a different fitment to the 2.0 d4d so don't fall into that trap if buying wheels online!

Sorry if you already knew this fact.

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply, no I did not know this, you clearly know your avensis'!

So my car is a 2.2 and has 17" wheels, is it the spoke pattern that is different, and also the online shops all seem to want to sell me 16" wheels? do the tyres just have a larger profile to keep the same od?

Ian

Infact I can put down the two options that mytyres are giving me,

1. AVENSIS (Type T25) Year of manufacture 2003 (LK 5/114.30) (LK 5/114.30)

2. AVENSIS (Type T25) Year of manufacture 2003 (LK 5/100.00) (LK 5/100.00)

It doesn't have an estate option.

The V5C has it down as a t25 Tspirit D-4D and it is an estate. Basically it looks like this and was made in 2009:-

If it's a T25 it wasn't made in 2009 - in Summer/ Autumn 2008 production switched to T27.

As t-spiritpete said the 2.2 has a different hub fitment from all the other engines - it's 5 hole/114.3mm with a 62mm centring diameter..

If you are running Winter tyres you may well be running a higher profile (better in snow) so 16" wheels maybe appropriate - you need to consider the wheel/tyre combo together.

Ian - I'm a little confused here. You say that you have 16" tyres fitted, but then say you have 17" wheels ? It has to be one or the other, can't be both. If the car already has 16" wheels & tyres, then I'd stick with that size for Winter. If it has 17" wheels on just now, then you'd have to make sure you order the right size/fitment for the Winter rims. Best to ask the vendor if they will fit & either supply your VIN number or reg no to be sure.

If it's a T25 it wasn't made in 2009 - in Summer/ Autumn 2008 production switched to T27.

As t-spiritpete said the 2.2 has a different hub fitment from all the other engines - it's 5 hole/114.3mm with a 62mm centring diameter..

If you are running Winter tyres you may well be running a higher profile (better in snow) so 16" wheels maybe appropriate - you need to consider the wheel/tyre combo together.

If your car is the same as the one in the video I couldn't give any better advice than Heidfirst so the choice is yours.

Regards Pete.

@ Buck

My tyres is a website, I am not meaning to say that is what is on my car tyres. Those are the alloys I am wanting to know are suitable or not for my car.

@ Heidfirst

Cool thanks, there does seem to be something odd about my car. It was registered in jan 2009. Is it possible it sat built somewhere for half a year before they registered it?

Yes, built & registered can be very different dates.

Afaik the first T27s were registered in December 2008 but they were building them for several months before to build up stock for the official launch date.

@ Buck

My tyres is a website, I am not meaning to say that is what is on my car tyres. Those are the alloys I am wanting to know are suitable or not for my car.

@ Heidfirst

Cool thanks, there does seem to be something odd about my car. It was registered in jan 2009. Is it possible it sat built somewhere for half a year before they registered it?

It would have been helpful if you'd put 'mytyres' the website, rather than the way it read which was your own tyres. I've used that website before - along with 'event tyres' & 'camskill'.

I bought my Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 from Camskills. Very good price and even faster delivery...